Switch online service already hacked to play your own roms

Nintendo has recently released their online service for the Nintendo Switch.

Beside allowing users to play games online and provide Cloud Save support on most games, it allows you to play a library of NES games on the device, Netflix style. For the NES game service, it is an app that is a NES emulator and give you access to a selection of games. As of yet, not the entire NES libary.

The service is not even a few days online, and a Twitter user by the name of @KapuccinoHeck uploaded pictures showing the NES app playing games not normally availible, and indicated that Nintendo pretty much just repackaged for the Switch, the same emulator found in the NES Classic devices sold by Nintendo. This allowed him to easily inject more NES games to it and play them, as the emulator of the NES Classic was hacked already.

The tweet reads:

good lord #NintendoSwitchOnline's NES games are plain .nes files
GUI appears to be entirely LUA much like the S/NES Classic so people are gonna be able to go to town on this

He also added a video showing it working:

If you would like to read more about this I have placed a link below.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/9/19/17879042/nintendo-switch-onlines-nes-emulator-hacked

I would just like to add that Nintendo has a list of games that they are working on adding to there NES online service list.

You can see the upcoming release list of NES games here.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

Interesting, I expected that the game selection is web based, where the selection of games is online, and you pick one it downloads the selected game on the system and plays them. Either it gets everything when you install the app, or he injects the games on some-sort of cache folder, so the app thinks that these games where downloaded and lists them.

It does makes sense that they use the same NES emulators found in the NES Classic. I mean, why re-invent the wheel. It is a decent one for one running on such weak hardware for ARM based CPUs.

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Interesting, I expected that the game selection is web based, where the selection of games is online, and you pick one it downloads the selected game on the system and plays them. Either it gets everything when you install the app, or he injects the games on some-sort of cache folder, so the app thinks that these games where downloaded and lists them.

It does makes sense that they use the same NES emulators found in the NES Classic. I mean, why re-invent the wheel. It is a decent one for one running on such weak hardware for ARM based CPUs.

I would imagine it would be that he places them in some sort of "downloaded games" folder so the system thinks it has those games.

And yes, it would totally make sense to use the same emulator. Although seeing as it was already hacked, it is surprising they did not patch the vulnerability before releasing it for the switch.

3 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:

switch online service? to what?pc plays online for free! this is all xbox's fault...

Yeah I agree however it's all about the green in the end.

So there is nothing stopping Nintendo from adding its entire library since they just implemented the same Emulation as the mini's. This online service has too many forced limitations than it should.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

I wish Nintendo would just release their entire old games library instead of only a handful of games here and there.

It literally uses the same ROMs we've had access to for years on PC and other platforms, no reasons other than arbitrary limitations to not release all the games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've got a $1000 for Nintendo on two conditions:

1) The whole library gets dumped onto the eShop, and

2) The games are affordable (about $2-5 each). 

Think I'm kidding about buying 200 games? Steam library has 860 on its own, 20 on Uplay, fuck Origin, and at least two bookshelves of physical media in storage for NES up to WiiU and GB to 3DS, along with 100 or so PS, Xbox, and Sega games (fuck Sega as well). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, DaiGurenMK42 said:

So there is nothing stopping Nintendo from adding its entire library since they just implemented the same Emulation as the mini's. This online service has too many forced limitations than it should.

Well.. Nintendo likes to make sure that their game runs right. And it has been found that the NES Classic hacked with additional ROMs has a number of games that has issues. So Nintendo will need to certify each game run properly from start to finish.

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I've got a $1000 for Nintendo on two conditions:

1) The whole library gets dumped onto the eShop, and

2) The games are affordable (about $2-5 each). 

Think I'm kidding about buying 200 games? Steam library has 860 on its own, 20 on Uplay, fuck Origin, and at least two bookshelves of physical media in storage for NES up to WiiU and GB to 3DS, along with 100 or so PS, Xbox, and Sega games (fuck Sega as well). 

Nintendo doesn't care. They care more about their image and reputation. You won't find a game that you'll pay and crash on you, due to an emulator bug, and if it ever happens, you can be sure it will be fixed. Also, you need to remember that Nintendo doesn't own all NES games. They are license fees, and things gets very complicated especially that they are old. Publishers and studios got bought or closed over the years, and you have regional publication, making who gets what in terms of money, let alone just asking permission, a huge hassle. Even GOG.com are having trouble with that. And if a publisher goes "Oh, this old shitty NES game? Well... 1 million dollars per user! Not negotiable. Don't like it? Here is the door!", nothing that Nintendo can do, and you just won't have that game.

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I wish Nintendo would just release their entire old games library instead of only a handful of games here and there.

It literally uses the same ROMs we've had access to for years on PC and other platforms, no reasons other than arbitrary limitations to not release all the games.

They are for NES just slowly.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Would probably cost hundreds of millions in lawyers.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti