How can I convince my dad to switch from tobacco to e cigas?

Speed Weed

How can I make my dad to switch from tobacco to e cigas? My dad is a heavy smoker. He smoke more than 8 cigarettes a day. I feel uncomfortable when I talk face to face with my dad because the smell of tobacco coming out of my dad mouth. I talked to my dad about the benefits of the e cigas, and how it will help my dad from smoking tobacco. Yet, he still refuse to try one. He will throw the e cigas away if I buy it secretly. What do I do now? Do I let him die from smoking tobacco? My dad is a very stubborn man. He will close his ears when I try to offer my dad alternative methods to stop smoking tobacco. What the fuck do I do now? 

My dad is 60 years old in 2018. He is not young anymore. He still have time to quit smoking tobacco, but he doesn't let me buy him one e cigas starter kit to let him try one. NOT EVEN TRYING ONE. 

Maybe talk to a psychiatrist? 

If your mom invited the psychiatrist to an event and has her pose as a friend of your mom then maybe you can learn something to find ways to stop him. 

To be honest, I’ve tried cigarettes and vape. Cigarettes are more harmful & harder to get into but they’re way more addictive & way better feeling. It’s a tough battle. 

Here's the thing - if he smokes 8 cigarettes per day, he's obviously addicted to nicotine.

At this point, he's only going to change if he wants to. By pushing him when he doesn't want to change, you might just end up ruining your relationship with him, and he still won't change anyway.

Perhaps talk to your closest family (aunts/uncles/grandparents/mother, etc) and if everyone agrees, then stage an intervention with appropriate information (such as various quitting methods). Give him the info on everything, and let him know that if he chooses to use that info, you'll help him through the details.

The thing about quitting smoking is that it almost always fails. You usually need to try 2-3 times or more before you can successfully quit.

And if he rejects your intervention, just drop it for now.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@dalekphalm had some good suggestions but I will say that even if he quits smoking, he’ll get addicted to something else ( more than likely) 

my Bio teacher quit cigarettes but he was addicted to putting somethin in his mouth so he got addicted to candy. He got addicted to several other things as he quit other addictions. After a while some people are addicted to addictions. 

Just fair warning for if he does quit cigarettes, he might find something else & it’s part of the process for some people. 

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Here's the thing - if he smokes 8 cigarettes per day, he's obviously addicted to nicotine.

At this point, he's only going to change if he wants to. By pushing him when he doesn't want to change, you might just end up ruining your relationship with him, and he still won't change anyway.

Perhaps talk to your closest family (aunts/uncles/grandparents/mother, etc) and if everyone agrees, then stage an intervention with appropriate information (such as various quitting methods). Give him the info on everything, and let him know that if he chooses to use that info, you'll help him through the details.

The thing about quitting smoking is that it almost always fails. You usually need to try 2-3 times or more before you can successfully quit.

And if he rejects your intervention, just drop it for now.

My family doesn't know anything about e cigas. 

One angle you can take is the price. If you can show him ecigs are cheaper then he will give it a go.

You cant harass him into it. My mother use to harass me. I successfully quit smoking when I moved town. I started smoking again when I moved back to my home town and it was very hard to quit again. I did quit the second time with the help of ecigs. I signed up for a university research trial and got some free ecigs and about three months worth of nicotine. I stopped smoking after one week because I didnt want to spend any money. Cigarettes are expensive. Eventually the ecigs stopped working so I threw them out and have not smoked since.

Oh dear. Well if talking to him won’t get to him, at 60 years old the prevalence of cancer will - and certainly of dementia. 

Ask him to try over the counter transdermal nicotine patches. The patch contains nicotine which is the stimulatory/addicting substance but without the carcinogens. Also, try asking him to go to doctors preferably a psychiatrist and a pulmonologist and ask for their smoking cessation programs. Afaik, the program involves a combination of psychotherapy and pharmacologic treatments. 

I’m not a fan of e cigarettes nor do I recommend them as healthier alternatives since most of them contain “propylene glycol” which can lead to the condition called as “popcorn lung”.  

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

55 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

My family doesn't know anything about e cigas. 

So you educate them.

Find pamphlets, if there are any, at your local addiction centre or hospital/clinic, that break down the information.

Look up details online (but please, do your due diligence and ensure it's an objective source from a trusted medical publication), print them out, and do a presentation to any relevant family members.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Ive has friends that’d get withdrawal from not smoking & they said the patches are the worst. They basically don’t do anything. Supposedly The gum is better but I think it was more expensive than just smoking or it just wasn’t as good as smoking. 

3 hours ago, fpo said:

Ive has friends that’d get withdrawal from not smoking & they said the patches are the worst. They basically don’t do anything. Supposedly The gum is better but I think it was more expensive than just smoking or it just wasn’t as good as smoking. 

I’ve heard from people saying that ibuprofen doesn’t work for them as a pain reliever. Would that mean that ibuprofen doesn’t work for the majority of population? 

Small anecdotal record/s is not a sufficient counter evidence against its indication. And that is why for a comprehensive smoking cessation program, it’s best discussed with a rehabilitation doctor like a psychiatrist, etc. 

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

My dad didn't stop until about a year after he got tongue cancer and had a chunk of tongue removed.

Hopefully your dad also gets a mild cancer as his wake up and not something much worse.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Depending on local laws and your age, if you can. Buy him a juul for his birthday if it's coming up or christmas, the actual difference between regular ecigs and juul is it's got a higher nicotine content more similar to tobacco products.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

See if you can get him interested in the hobby of vapes. It's pretty fun to get into.

16 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Ask him to try over the counter transdermal nicotine patches. The patch contains nicotine which is the stimulatory/addicting substance but without the carcinogens. Also, try asking him to go to doctors preferably a psychiatrist and a pulmonologist and ask for their smoking cessation programs. Afaik, the program involves a combination of psychotherapy and pharmacologic treatments. 

I’m not a fan of e cigarettes nor do I recommend them as healthier alternatives since most of them contain “propylene glycol” which can lead to the condition called as “popcorn lung”.  

Popcorn lung is caused by diacetyl and there are no cases (yet anyway) of vaping causing it. It's used as an additive sometimes because it has a smooth, buttery flavour. It's called Popcorn lung because it started in a Popcorn factory where these people where inhaling the seasoning all day. Propylene glycol is what smoke machines use to make smoke and has no proven health detriments

As said above, the cost is a major factor. Smoking is really expensive, if you can show your dad a cheaper way to get his fix he might be interested 

That's an F in the profile pic

Get him Halo Tribeca ~12mg and let him try on weak power ( 30-50w ) so its comfortable to vape, thats the only juice that prevented me from smoking cigs. Rest was crap, i've spent tons of $ and quit vaping at the end because it was too expensive. ( Roughly 25$ per week excluding all these mods/coils etc ). DIY juices was also nothing close to the Tribeca.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:14 AM, DaPhuc said:

Do I let him die from smoking tobacco?

Yes.
If he refuse to listen to you and how you would like him to stop smoking, then that's the only alternative, especially if he smoked all his life, he probably sees no point in quitting or switching to another poison now.
Not to mention, quitting smoking now would likely actually increase his chance of lung cancer after a few years. The body is dumb like that. (My mother got lung cancer a little under 8 years after stopping, she's younger than your dad by 4 years, her chance of survival are... 1/4... literally is what the doctor told us)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

21 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

So you educate them.

Find pamphlets, if there are any, at your local addiction centre or hospital/clinic, that break down the information.

Look up details online (but please, do your due diligence and ensure it's an objective source from a trusted medical publication), print them out, and do a presentation to any relevant family members.

I can educate my family, but the problem is my dad won't switch to e cigas no matter what. I also talk to my dad about nicotine gum, nicotine patch, and nicotine medicine, and he still won't use it at all. 

18 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

My dad didn't stop until about a year after he got tongue cancer and had a chunk of tongue removed.

Hopefully your dad also gets a mild cancer as his wake up and not something much worse.

As far as I know, my dad will get lung cancer because he smoke for more than 3 decades. 

18 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Depending on local laws and your age, if you can. Buy him a juul for his birthday if it's coming up or christmas, the actual difference between regular ecigs and juul is it's got a higher nicotine content more similar to tobacco products.

My dad said to me that he will throw that juul or any e cigas away if he see them.

4 hours ago, Exaco said:

Get him Halo Tribeca ~12mg and let him try on weak power ( 30-50w ) so its comfortable to vape, thats the only juice that prevented me from smoking cigs. Rest was crap, i've spent tons of $ and quit vaping at the end because it was too expensive. ( Roughly 25$ per week excluding all these mods/coils etc ). DIY juices was also nothing close to the Tribeca.

Unfortunately, Vape and e cigas are big no for my dad. 

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Yes.
If he refuse to listen to you and how you would like him to stop smoking, then that's the only alternative, especially if he smoked all his life, he probably sees no point in quitting or switching to another poison now.
Not to mention, quitting smoking now would likely actually increase his chance of lung cancer after a few years. The body is dumb like that. (My mother got lung cancer a little under 8 years after stopping, she's younger than your dad by 4 years, her chance of survival are... 1/4... literally is what the doctor told us)

There's no point of arguing my dad because he will go rampage inside the house. He will throw and smash shit when he gets upset. My mom and I don't like making my dad upset because he will fuck up the house good. I guess I will going to watch my dad suffering from smoking cigarettes. My dad still have time to turn around you know? But if he refuse it than I have no choice than. The reason I want my dad to switch from tobacco to e cigars because it works for heavy smokers where nicotine gum, nicotine patch, and nicotine medicine don't work on a lot of heavy smokers. 

As a former smoker, let me just say that 8 cigs a day is nothing. NOTHING.

I used to smoke two packs a day, that's 40 cigarettes a day. I've been doing this since I was 16. I regret every single cigarette.

I've been on a vape for about a year now and the difference is ENORMOUS. I don't cough up black/brown stuff anymore, I can breath easier, etc. I'm slowly working my way down to zero nicotine juice, at which point it's all just an oral fixation and taste.

Some advice, he needs to get a flavor that he enjoys, that is NOT tobacco flavoring. This will only make him want a cigarette, I know, I've been there. Second, start on the 3% nicotine, if he only smokes 8 cigs a day. 6% is probably far too strong.

He will cough, badly, for the first week or so. Vaporizers are WAY different from cigarette, they are in some ways harsher to get used to because they are a "drier" hit. This can also be affected by the flavor used. Citrus-y flavors, or acidic flavors, still make me cough some times even though I prefer them over the sweeter, creamy/custardy flavors.

I can't help you talk to the man, but I can tell you my own experience going from 40 cigs a day (if not more) to almost zero a month. I still have one every now and then because my entire family smokes, but that's my own weakness.

I'm only 29.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

I can educate my family, but the problem is my dad won't switch to e cigas no matter what. I also talk to my dad about nicotine gum, nicotine patch, and nicotine medicine, and he still won't use it at all. 

As far as I know, my dad will get lung cancer because he smoke for more than 3 decades. 

My dad said to me that he will throw that juul or any e cigas away if he see them.

Unfortunately, Vape and e cigas are big no for my dad. 

There's no point of arguing my dad because he will go rampage inside the house. He will throw and smash shit when he gets upset. My mom and I don't like making my dad upset because he will fuck up the house good. I guess I will going to watch my dad suffering from smoking cigarettes. My dad still have time to turn around you know? But if he refuse it than I have no choice than. The reason I want my dad to switch from tobacco to e cigars because it works for heavy smokers where nicotine gum, nicotine patch, and nicotine medicine don't work on a lot of heavy smokers. 

unfortunately for some smokers, they're just too set in their ways. Unwilling to do switch to something that is easier on their lungs.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Unless it's causing him difficulties, let him be.

Option 1: I've heard that some smokers will grab a pen barrel and stuff it with cotton or gauze and use that to stimulate the oral fixation while using a nicotine patch to lower the withdrawal symptoms. It takes time, but I know next to 30 smokers that have used the technique at the recommendation of a psychologist. 

Option 2: Tell him that you've been smoking and you'd like to quit. I'll let you act out the ruse. 

Option 3: Helping him cut back by rewarding him in various ways. Quit for a day and you'll wash his car the next day. Quit for two days and you'll clean the house. Quit for a third and you'll do something else; just think of what chores you're designated. 

Option 4: Buy him a cigar and slowly transition to a smaller dose of nicotine until he can withdraw from it completely. 

Option 5: Leave him be and ask him to exercise. It should help his body adjust to a different stimuli or reveal his shortcomings. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Whilst I can feel sorry for you @DaPhuc its probably hipocritical of me to comment.

If your DAD is considered a heavy smoker at 8 per day, then im a bleeding factory at 20-40 per day.

you do have several issues to try and compete with:

1) its addictive

2) its legal

3) governments get lots of money from this product through taxes and levies (well they do here)

4) his age + mentality, some would consider him to have lived a good life to reach 60-70 and therefore why bother changing.

counter arguements to non smokers:

1) im an adult not a child, so while it is still legal its my choice.

2) non smokers - the medical cost: well i cant speak for all countries but our levies on smokes a few years ago actually covered about 75-90% of the state based medical system, the government is looking for new sources of income because the loss of the smokers has seriously impacted the cash flows of the government - we are talking in the billions.

3) when you finally get everyone to stop smoking, where is the governement going to get its major income source, they cant get it from the multi-nationals, because they refuse to pay *morally correct taxes, they will take it out of the hides of the people through income taxes.

*morally correct taxes is not the same as paying legal taxes. legal taxes can be reduced through various schemes, including over-priced Intelectual Property, dodgy loan schemes, off sore account systems 

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

There is no safe smoke. Only benefit of e cigarettes is that it doesn't pass off 2nd hand smoke.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I'm really glad i switched to e cigs. You can try to convince your dad that he can get the same, if not more nicotine from an e cig, while avoiding all the chemicals and additives in tobacco. After living in the south a few years with ridiculously cheap cigarettes, i built a pretty sturdy habit for cigarettes. Since moving back to my home state, i bought a suorin drop, which is much more subtle than a noI use salt based nicotine, and i'll use either 35 or 50mg liquids. 

My nicotine addiction may not have improved dramatically, but what i really enjoy about the high nicotine juice is that i can just take a puff or 2 and feel all set for a while, rather than constantly reaching for cigarettes. The big difference is when I'm drinking. I used to go to parties and go through a full pack in just a couple of hours. I also like that i can get away with taking small puffs at work. I don't have to step outside all day, and come back stinking like cigs. When your smoking, for me anyway, you don't really notice how bad they smell. Now, when i step in a room that smells of cigs, or I'm around someone who's been smoking, i can really smell how gross they are

First off, 8 cigs a day aint that bad.  Not good.  But definitely waaaaay less than the days when people could smoke in their office at their desk and get through a pack a day or more.  

Now, I bet if you start bumming cigs from him everytime he lights up he'll think twice about what he's doing.  Maybe not.  But ultimately there isn't anything you can do... he has to make the decision.