Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ToastyBlyat

Is it considered weird to wear headphones in public?

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I see people do it all the time. Ive seen them wear them while driving :| ( Which is illegal by the way). 

I have all the information I need. Heading to the cops.

6 hours ago, ToastyBlyat said:

I get made fun of in school for wearing headphones and everyone else is using earbuds. People say it makes me look poor. I use Skullcandy btw

I see people do this all the time. Why do headphones, which are generally more expensive than ear buds, make people look poor? Why should you care what people think anyway?

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 10/23/2013 at 7:07 PM, prolemur said:

I get made fun of in school for wearing headphones and everyone else is using earbuds. People say it makes me look poor. I use Skullcandy btw

On 10/23/2013 at 8:07 PM, prolemur said:

I want to know this because generally I don't see many people at all that wear them, all people wear are ear buds which I find extremely uncomfortable.

by in public I mean in a non social location such as walking down the road or on a train

I don't want to come off as a douchebag

"hey look at me, I care about sound quality, I'm so unique and cool!" etc

like what the people who wear beats think of themselves

I see people do it all the time. Ive seen them wear them while driving :| ( Which is illegal by the way). 

If they make fun of you for the kinds of headphones they’re retarded. 

If they make fun of you FOR wearing headphones on your ears, that’s a different story. 

LTT Fan Fiction:

PC game list: 

I've split this off into a new thread since that's better than necroing one from 2013

That's unfortunate and ridiculous.  First off, it's not weird at all.  Second, headphones vs earbuds indicate nothing about wealth, and if they did, odds are if you're going through the hassle of carrying around headphones it's because you care about audio are got something good instead of whatever $10 garbage came with your phone, so I'd say their assumption is backwards.  But, none of that matters anyway because who cares if you are poor or not.  That's a stupid thing to make fun of your for and they're clearly immature.

Edit: Just, don't wear them like this, or that would be a reason to make fun of you :P  Unless they're M50x's, then that might be a good way to control the treble... xD

image.png.af8d8a707cb096f5ac8f12f26b1ed090.png

I don't think it is, you just need to be able to hear the environment around you.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Posted · Best Answer

I have all the information I need. Heading to the cops.

I see people do this all the time. Why do headphones, which are generally more expensive than ear buds, make people look poor? Why should you care what people think anyway?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Personally I've gotten a lot of interested looks whenever I'd wear my ATH-M50X headphones in public, like at my university's library or somewhere where I'd be sitting for a while studying.

I hate earbuds with a passion and they are much worse for your ears than regular headphones, so if someone makes fun of me for not wearing them then I'll just tell them to stuff it. Also imo earbuds just look cheap, even Beats garbage.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Who cares what people wear in public, whichever is more comfortable for them, go ahead!

Personally, I use earphones when I'm on the move on the bus or walking somewhere, and use headphones when I'm in the library or somewhere where I know I'll be there for an extended period of time.

I like my music so whichever way is more convenient for my head is the best for me, I don't mind what the public thinks because at the end of the day, it's my music listening experience and they people who look at me (which is rare, mind you) are none of my business anyway.

I wear my Sony XB950N1's everywhere, they're huge and clunky but hey my music sounds amazing. Since I've started wearing mine to school, more people have started to also. 

Join the nyalliance today, nya! ❤️

Man, high school can be brutal when you are not wearing socially acceptable stuff xD

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I sorta have this same "issue", due to weak skin on the ears i can't use IEMs or earbuds, so i use my headphones when i get out.

It doesn't help that my headphones are big and weird looking (JVC Ésnsy HA-SR85S) so people tend to look a bit sideways, but i try not to care, at least i have my music in high fidelity with them on.

And make you look poor? What even is this argument? Headphones are generally more expensive than earbuds.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals: Mice: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Logitech G305 /// Keyboard: Leopold FC900R (Cherry Silent Red), Logitech G613 (Romer G) /// Monitor: AOC Agon AG322FCX 32' (VA, 1080p @144hz) /// AMP: Onkyo Integra A-817XD /// DAC: Loxjie D10 (Red) /// Speakers: Polk Audio TSi100 /// Mike: Superlux E205U /// Headphones: HiFiMan HE-350, Koss Pro4AAA Titanium, Sony MDR-XB920

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't think it is, you just need to be able to hear the environment around you.

In California it is for sure. I watch Stanley Roberts of Kron 4 news on YouTube. He rides with the California Highway patrol, they have issued tickets for this. Most people I see have ear buds in, those block your hearing. So yeah its illegal. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

In California it is for sure. I watch Stanley Roberts of Kron 4 news on YouTube. He rides with the California Highway patrol, they have issued tickets for this. Most people I see have ear buds in, those block your hearing. So yeah its illegal. 

This really doesn't clarify if headphones are explicitly illegal, or just ones that block your hearing (and also anything else that does that)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Not weird at all, I know I guy who carries a goddamn bluetooth speaker

My PCs:

VALENTINIAN : CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X || CPU COOLER : Corsair H115i Pro || MOBO : MSi B450 Tomahawk Max || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x2 || PSU: EVGA G2 850W w/ Cablemod Black & White Cables || CASE: NZXT H510 White || Monitor: Acer Predator X34A, HP 27yh || KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Brown) || Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero || Audio: HyperX Cloud Alpha, Logitech C920 || Case Fans : 2x Corsair ML140, 2x Corsair ML120 ||

DIOCLETIAN III (HTPC) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8GhZ || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition || MOBO : MSi X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V (3200) || SSDs: Crucial P1 500GB, Crucial MX500 1TB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || PSU: Seasonic 650W w/ Black & Red Extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 || Monitor: Samsung Q60 65" QLED || KEYBOARD: Logitech G613 || Mouse: Logitech G305 || Audio: Samsung Q60R Soundbar || Case Fans : 3x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 ||

JUSTINIAN - Dell XPS 15": CPU: Core i7-9750H || GPU: GTX 1650 || RAM: 2*8GB 2666MhZ DDR4 SODIMM || SSD: 1TB M.2 PCIe || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || Monitor: 15" 1920 * 1080 IPS || KEYBOARD: Dell Keyboard || Mouse: Logitech G305 White || Audio: Sony IEMs

MAXIMINUS THRAX (Open-Loop Testbed) : CPU: Core i5-7400 || CPU COOLER : ThermalTake Open Loop Watercooling Kit || MOBO : Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB Windforce OC || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSDs: Crucial MX500 500GB || PSU: Corsair CX650M || CASE: Fractal Design Define C TG || Monitor: Generic Dell 24" || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 Tournament Edition || Mouse: Logitech G603 || Audio: No || Case Fans : 2x ThermalTake Riing, 1x Fractal Case Fan ||

OTHER : Dell Latitude (i7-6600U, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD) ||

MOBILE : Galaxy S9 (64GB + 64GB uSD) || Galaxy S7 (32GB)

I wore my Sennheiser HD598 SE's in public until I got a pair of Panasonic RP-HJE125-K ($8 earbuds). My headphones were open so I could hear everything around me and it was easier for others to hear what I was listening to, meanwhile these earbuds have noise cancellation so I can focus on my music in more loud places. I also feel more comfortable not lugging around expensive headphones, and the earbuds look much nicer when I wear them. I never brought headphones or earbuds to high school, but I didn't even get a smart phone until my last year of high school. Usually when I see people wearing headphones, they're beats- and they wear them as a fashion statement I imagine. Also, Skullcandy is not a good brand. If you're concerned about looks just pick up some earbuds, they're more portable too.

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This really doesn't clarify if headphones are explicitly illegal, or just ones that block your hearing (and also anything else that does that)

Headphones are explicitly illegal.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I wore my old ATH-M30Xs at school and no one seemed to care that I had 'em.

Hell, I would've rocked my current MDR-7506s had I not already graduated lmao

Local asshole and VHS collector. Less than avid Team Fortress 2 player.

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

People are dicks.

I almost never wear earbuds because they're not as good as headphones. Though I don't walk around outside wearing them much because I drive, and just use Bluetooth and the Audio-In USB.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

I hate most people so I intentionally wear circumaural headphones.  Its even more unapproachable and obvious.  Plus, even if you hear them you can REALLY pretend you didn't.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM (+100mhz core clock), 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

16 hours ago, ToastyBlyat said:

Isn't fun a good thing? And what people say is of their own imagination. This doesn't make it true to everyone. It's just their perspective. Wear spaghetti noodles next time. People will say different things.