Is it considered weird to wear headphones in public?

ToastyBlyat
Go to solution Solved by bleedblue,
3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I see people do it all the time. Ive seen them wear them while driving :| ( Which is illegal by the way). 

I have all the information I need. Heading to the cops.

6 hours ago, ToastyBlyat said:

I get made fun of in school for wearing headphones and everyone else is using earbuds. People say it makes me look poor. I use Skullcandy btw

I see people do this all the time. Why do headphones, which are generally more expensive than ear buds, make people look poor? Why should you care what people think anyway?

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well that seems silly to me and I would doubt that's true

Not really. Anything in or on your ears impedes your ability to hear. Which becomes a HUGE issue if you drive a vehicle that has good sound insulation, like my truck.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Not really. Anything in or on your ears impedes your ability to hear. Which becomes a HUGE issue if you drive a vehicle that has good sound insulation, like my truck.

I take it you've never used properly open headphones.  It's no different than having the radio on

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I take it you've never used properly open headphones.  It's no different than having the radio on

1. Cops don't care.
  2. It really is different. They do impede ypur hearing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Unless they're M50x's, then that might be a good way to control the treble... xD

image.png.af8d8a707cb096f5ac8f12f26b1ed090.png

You just beat @wkdpaul for the position of @Densetsu's favorite mod.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:
  1. Cops don't care.
  2. It really is different. They do impede ypur hearing.
  1. That depends on what the law actually is.  If it's no headphones, then that's simple enough.  If it's "just make sure you can still hear around you", then obviously it makes a difference, which I guess bleeds into #2

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:
  1. That depends on what the law actually is.  If it's no headphones, then that's simple enough.  If it's "just make sure you can still hear around you", then obviously it makes a difference, which I guess bleeds into #2

The thing is, even if it’s the latter wording, how can a cop possibly know whether you’re one of the few drivers with headphones that can still hear?

The point is that headphones of any type will diminish your ability to hear your surroundings. And yes, having the radio too loud does the same thing too. 

Its just easier for a cop to see you are wearing headphones. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

The thing is, even if it’s the latter wording, how can a cop possibly know whether you’re one of the few drivers with headphones that can still hear?

The point is that headphones of any type will diminish your ability to hear your surroundings. And yes, having the radio too loud does the same thing too. 

Its just easier for a cop to see you are wearing headphones. 

They can't see if you've set your radio too loud though either, so really without randomly stopping people to check there's no way to be sure if they're safe, headphones or not, and I think that would be a little excessive.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They can't see if you've set your radio too loud though either, so really without randomly stopping people to check there's no way to be sure if they're safe, headphones or not, and I think that would be a little excessive.

Considering that the vast majority of headphones would block too much sound, id suggest that’s not excessive at all. 

I would personally never wear headphones (or worse, earbuds) while driving. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Considering that the vast majority of headphones would block too much sound, id suggest that’s not excessive at all. 

No, I mean randomly stopping cars to check if their environment is suitable sound-wise.  That's excessive.

I would personally never wear headphones (or worse, earbuds) while driving. 

Me neither

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No, I mean randomly stopping cars to check if their environment is suitable sound-wise.  That's excessive.

Oh - fair enough. I agree, and in practice it will never happen because the cop would have no suspicions and therefore have no reason to check. 

Only exception is if your music is so loud that the cop can hear it INSIDE his cruiser. 

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They'll be able to hear your radio if its too loud.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

They'll be able to hear your radio if its too loud.

If that's how loud it has to be before it's "too loud", that really does completely invalidate the whole headphone argument.  Even some closed headphones wouldn't block your hearing as badly as a music that loud would, never mind properly open ones.

I've seen people wear those Beats by Dre things in the gym. By the way, what ever happened to those things.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I've seen people wear those Beats by Dre things in the gym. By the way, what ever happened to those things.

People still buy and wear them. They just aren’t owned by or affiliated with Dr Dre anymore. Apple currently owns Beats. 

People still buy and wear them. They just aren’t owned by or affiliated with Dr Dre anymore. Apple currently owns Beats. 

The percentage of people who wear Beats nowadays have significantly dropped. Now it's back to cheapo earbuds and your random assortment of BOSE and Sony headphones. Of course AirPods have also soared. But it seems like the hype for Beats is completely dead.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

45 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If that's how loud it has to be before it's "too loud", that really does completely invalidate the whole headphone argument.  Even some closed headphones wouldn't block your hearing as badly as a music that loud would, never mind properly open ones.

That's not actually that loud for most vehicles. The speakers are separated from the outside world by sheet metal and nothing more.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

19 hours ago, ToastyBlyat said:

I get made fun of in school for wearing headphones and everyone else is using earbuds. People say it makes me look poor. I use Skullcandy btw

they probably think apple earbuds are actually good because they're expensive

you should feel sorry for them, because their ignorance will blind them for the rest of their lives.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, Drak3 said:

That's not actually that loud for most vehicles. The speakers are separated from the outside world by sheet metal and nothing more.

Maybe we had the same truck then

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The percentage of people who wear Beats nowadays have significantly dropped. Now it's back to cheapo earbuds and your random assortment of BOSE and Sony headphones. Of course AirPods have also soared. But it seems like the hype for Beats is completely dead.

I don't think there's anything substantial to corroborate that.

The vast majority of people always just used the cheap shit that either came with their device, or dollar-store level crap from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.

I still see Beats all the time. Though their newer models are less flashy and in-your-face about the branding, so perhaps you're just not noticing them specifically as much?

It is wierd to wear large headphones (Talking Beats Studio size, as coined by the term “Beats Douche”) on your neck, but not weird to be listening to music while wearing them, if you have a bag. (I should add, this depends on the brand but it makes you look richer, people look down on other people who flaunt their wealth, hence the massive douche connotations)

Earphones are much cooler, especially sexy wireless AirPods.

It's not weird. They are the weird ones for thinking earbuds are somehow better.
I bet they use the crap that came with their phones too.

As for driving with headphones. It depends on where you live and the laws there. You can't make blanket statement like "it's illegal".

It's partially legal in Quebec for example, but only you wear it on one ear, not both. Cops won't give a fuck if they are openback or closed.
https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safety/behaviours/distractions/what-the-laws-says/

It's also 100% illegal to use headphones/earbuds while riding a bike, be it one ear or both. (Lots of people don't know this one and get caught since it's relatively new)

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safety/modes-transportation/bicycle/what-the-law-says/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Earphones are much cooler, especially sexy wireless AirPods.

5ba2d23703a2b_EmoPandaTFiWWY1.thumb.jpg.dd441ac326ceecdab4ad499ceb1c9404.jpg

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I bet they use the crap that came with their phones too.

Samsung buds have been pretty good since the S6, better than the cans you often see on the streets.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not only does interpretation of the law also matter but the wording varies by jurisdiction so it's hard to talk blanket about a blanket "this is illegal". The police officer isn't likely to make the distinction between your open backs and closed headphones.

21 hours ago, ToastyBlyat said:

No, I walk around college with mine on all the time and see plenty of others with theirs on too

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't think there's anything substantial to corroborate that.

The vast majority of people always just used the cheap shit that either came with their device, or dollar-store level crap from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.

I still see Beats all the time. Though their newer models are less flashy and in-your-face about the branding, so perhaps you're just not noticing them specifically as much?

I don't even see a display at BestBuy anymore for them. Maybe it's a regional thing? I don't know. I just see more people using AirPods and wireless headphones from other brands like Sony and Bose more than Beats. The colours are toned down a bit, but it's still hard to miss the unmistakable b that's still present.