Ryzen 5 2600 - B350 oc

Go to solution Solved by Shiftstealth,
12 minutes ago, SKERVESEN said:

Hola

I am experiencing some weird system freezes after pushing my Ryzen to 4.0 GHz.

System spec:

• MOBO: Asus Prime B350-Plus
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 obsiously
  • RAM: DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000 MHz @ 2933 MHz - 1.35V
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+
  • PSU: 550W Seasonic Focus Plus Gold
  • CPU cooler: AiO CoolerMaster Master Liquid 240 Lite
  • Fan config: 2x140 intake, 1x120 + 240 AiO exhaust

So what I basically do is change the core ratio from stock 34 to 40 and push the VDDCR CPU voltage up to about 1.33-1.35V in offset mode. I have also disabled the AMD's prorietary core performance boost since I didn't want to stack overclocks and set the performance bias to none. I have increased the stock VDDCR SOC voltage by 0.2V in offset mode but I am not really aware of what this parameter really does - I've just read about it. I have also set the load line calibration setting to High on both VDDCR CPU and VDDCR SOC since I've read that it allows both to get just a small voltage boost when the system is on the edge of stability.

I am stresstesting my system with Aida64 Extreme and the CPU temp doesn't go above 55C after 30 minutes of 100% load. In CPU-Z I've never seen the CPU voltage go above 1.37V. The CPU power package is aroud 95-100W tops. No restarts, no bluescreens BUT sometimes when I try to do anything during the stresstest (like moving the mouse pointer around, browse through my files) my system can randomly freeze for couple of seconds and then fully recover. Cinebench R15 is pretty good with the score of 1350 but after 3-4 cycles it slows down to 350 and won't get up until i restart the system (temps are fine). I went back to the stock CPU settings after discovering that. Is that a sign of a bad overclock? What could I do to improve?

Have you downloaded HWINFO64, and verified you aren't receiving any WHEA errors? That would be the first indicator that your overclock is not stable. I would highly recommend doing that. If you get a few WHEA errors they were correctable, and probably explain your low scores being the result of some failed calculations which indicate that the overclock isn't stable.

If you aren't receiving WHEA errors, and you see your CPU downclock during the 350 score run i'd recommend dialing back your LLC, or Vcore. With it being a B350 board, and not an X370 your VRM's might not be up to the task. 

Hola

System spec:

So what I basically do is change the core ratio from stock 34 to 40 and push the VDDCR CPU voltage up to about 1.33-1.35V in offset mode. I have also disabled the AMD's prorietary core performance boost since I didn't want to stack overclocks and set the performance bias to none. I have increased the stock VDDCR SOC voltage by 0.2V in offset mode but I am not really aware of what this parameter really does - I've just read about it. I have also set the load line calibration setting to High on both VDDCR CPU and VDDCR SOC since I've read that it allows both to get just a small voltage boost when the system is on the edge of stability.

I am stresstesting my system with Aida64 Extreme and the CPU temp doesn't go above 55C after 30 minutes of 100% load. In CPU-Z I've never seen the CPU voltage go above 1.37V. The CPU power package is aroud 95-100W tops. No restarts, no bluescreens BUT sometimes when I try to do anything during the stresstest (like moving the mouse pointer around, browse through my files) my system can randomly freeze for couple of seconds and then fully recover. Cinebench R15 is pretty good with the score of 1350 but after 3-4 cycles it slows down to 350 and won't get up until i restart the system (temps are fine). I went back to the stock CPU settings after discovering that. Is that a sign of a bad overclock? What could I do to improve?

It's a sign that you should leave your pc alone while stress testing and wait for it to finish.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Just now, bleedblue said:

It's a sign that you should leave your pc alone while stress testing and wait for it to finish.

Well that was my original thought but Aida64 stresstest can go on forever AFAIK. So basically putting any more stress with mouse pointer movement will make any system under 100% synthetic load freeze?

1 minute ago, SKERVESEN said:

Well that was my original thought but Aida64 stresstest can go on forever AFAIK. So basically putting any more stress with mouse pointer movement will make any system under 100% synthetic load freeze?

Well, your CPU is just prioritizing AIDA64, and it's already at 100% usage, so when you move your mouse it has to find time somewhere in being used 100% by AIDA64 to move your mouse, and still process the image on the screen. So... that's kinda it. My computer does the same thing. Sometimes my monitoring software will freeze (then I get really scared, which is when I remembered I can just set the process priority above the stress test)

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

12 minutes ago, SKERVESEN said:

Hola

System spec:

Have you downloaded HWINFO64, and verified you aren't receiving any WHEA errors? That would be the first indicator that your overclock is not stable. I would highly recommend doing that. If you get a few WHEA errors they were correctable, and probably explain your low scores being the result of some failed calculations which indicate that the overclock isn't stable.

If you aren't receiving WHEA errors, and you see your CPU downclock during the 350 score run i'd recommend dialing back your LLC, or Vcore. With it being a B350 board, and not an X370 your VRM's might not be up to the task. 

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

Well, your CPU is just prioritizing AIDA64, and it's already at 100% usage, so when you move your mouse it has to find time somewhere in being used 100% by AIDA64 to move your mouse, and still process the image on the screen. So... that's kinda it. My computer does the same thing. Sometimes my monitoring software will freeze (then I get really scared, which is when I remembered I can just set the process priority above the stress test)

Well that calmed me down. Thank you.

BTW do you think LLC is necessary in this config? I just hoped to enable higher LLC setting and lower the CPU voltage to allow it to boost to 1.37 when it needs it while maintaining lower 1.3 on idle.

Just now, SKERVESEN said:

Well that calmed me down. Thank you.

BTW do you think LLC is necessary in this config? I just hoped to enable higher LLC setting and lower the CPU voltage to allow it to boost to 1.37 when it needs it while maintaining lower 1.3 on idle.

With your board being  B350 i wouldn't use LLC. I'm not an expert, but from what i've heard it is a little harder on the VRM's rather than letting the vDroop do its thing. With the VRM's on B350 boards being lackluster i would be careful.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

Just now, Shiftstealth said:

With your board being  B350 i wouldn't use LLC. I'm not an expert, but from what i've heard it is a little harder on the VRM's rather than letting the vDroop do its thing. With the VRM's on B350 boards being lackluster i would be careful.

Okaaay thank you very much for the detailed answers. I'm gonna check that WHEA thing you mentioned and disable LLC or set it in a less aggresive mode at least.

What about the SOC voltage? Should I leave it on auto or bring it up in more-less the same ratio I bring up the CPU voltage?

And also do you know anything about safe voltage limit for day to day use on Ryzen? Does it cause any extra wear on the chip?

Just now, SKERVESEN said:

Okaaay thank you very much for the detailed answers. I'm gonna check that WHEA thing you mentioned and disable LLC or set it in a less aggresive mode at least.

What about the SOC voltage? Should I leave it on auto or bring it up in more-less the same ratio I bring up the CPU voltage?

And also do you know anything about safe voltage limit for day to day use on Ryzen? Does it cause any extra wear on the chip?

SOC voltage you'll want to be really careful. I tried i think 1.25v SOC and degraded my 1700X to the point that 2133Mhz RAM wasn't stable anymore. I'd honestly leave SOC at stock. It is mostly for RAM speeds anyways. 

1 minute ago, Shiftstealth said:

SOC voltage you'll want to be really careful. I tried i think 1.25v SOC and degraded my 1700X to the point that 2133Mhz RAM wasn't stable anymore. I'd honestly leave SOC at stock. It is mostly for RAM speeds anyways. 

Oh, didn't know about that. I'll try to stick to the default setting then. Thank you very much again!