Text Displays At Low Resolution

Carclis

Sometimes text appears to be of a lower resolution within some posts. It doesn't always happen and is not super common, but annoying when it happens. Funnily enough highlighting the text seems to cause it to display at the correct resolution. Example: Initial.thumb.png.46cc5582ad0d74891cc178a70009ae35.pngHighlighted.thumb.png.3ca32993b4b6e4c6e2f431bb27165554.pngFinal.thumb.png.2fdb394436957668be3e717b8d7c4fd5.png

It might be easier to see the problem if you view the images in tabs and cycle between them. I've seen this problem ever since changing to FireFox in the past few months.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Tell me if you see the same problem within these sentences:

-------------------------------------------
I'm low res.
--
I'm not.

---

I'm low res.

What I can see on the first picture is that there is some kind of outline/shadow on the letters which on the third picture is not present.

image.png.932b2691940865dae73a429834660ced.png

Jokes aside, do you notice this on any other sites?  Does it happen right away or only after scrolling?  Do you have any unusual extensions enabled?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Do you have the browser zoomed to anything aside from 100%? 

In some cases this will make font appear differently, as the browser itself is applying the scaling.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

image.png.932b2691940865dae73a429834660ced.png

Jokes aside, do you notice this on any other sites?  Does it happen right away or only after scrolling?  Do you have any unusual extensions enabled?

13 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Do you have the browser zoomed to anything aside from 100%? 

In some cases this will make font appear differently, as the browser itself is applying the scaling.

Nah. I have just the vanilla FireFox install and was not zoomed in at all (never am outside of viewing images). If you look at the image I posted you'll see it only seems to display some text at a low resolution. I've only noticed the issue on these forums as well.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 hours ago, voiha said:

Tell me if you see the same problem within these sentences:

-------------------------------------------
I'm low res.
--
I'm not.

---

I'm low res.

What I can see on the first picture is that there is some kind of outline/shadow on the letters which on the third picture is not present.

This is what they look like for me.1.png.5ae0f9cb24348c322079a3a6bf946a1f.png

9 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Nah. I have just the vanilla FireFox install and was not zoomed in at all (never am outside of viewing images). If you look at the image I posted you'll see it only seems to display some text at a low resolution. I've only noticed the issue on these forums as well.

Try using another browser, see if it occurs there too. Sounds more like an output problem with your pc than the linus website.

2 hours ago, voiha said:

Try using another browser, see if it occurs there too. Sounds more like an output problem with your pc than the linus website.

I thought that at first but I've not seen another website do it and I've only seen this issue on FireFox. Chrome works fine. I was mainly raising the issue because it seems like it could be a LTT problem but I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

is your display scaled up?

Native 3440*1440.

3 minutes ago, Carclis said:

seems like it could be a LTT problem but I'm not sure.

Only way of knowing that is multiple people to address the same issue using Firefox. I've never experienced issue like this one, maybe because I use Google Chrome

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

also at 100% scaling?

I assume you mean within the Windows display settings. Yeah it's at 100% which is the recommended.

8 hours ago, Carclis said:

It looks like it's trying to render text scrolled to between pixels or something, which is super weird.  I feel like if this was a forum-wide issue this problem would be common, so that tells me something strange is going on at your end, but if that was the case I'd expect you to notice it on other sites... I guess we'll have to wait for Mortis :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This looks like it's almost certainly a browser/OS rendering issue, because the font is provided and rendered by your browser, with nothing unusual being done by us.

HTTP/2 203

7 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

This looks like it's almost certainly a browser/OS rendering issue, because the font is provided and rendered by your browser, with nothing unusual being done by us.

I see. Well it's not the end of the world or anything so I guess I'll jus thave to live with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯