Dual booted with ubuntu and windows 10, how to install steam games on ubuntu

So it may sound dumb but i have 4 volumes, 2 of which idek and 2 is my 1tb hdd and my 120gb ssd. I created a 40gb partition before making ubuntu and was meant to put ubuntu onto that 40gb partition but i don't know how and is there a way? Please help me

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

fastest boot time, 6.5 seconds

@Electronics WizardyI just booted it off a usb, didnt ask where to install ubuntu, it semeed to have made a 9gb partition to put it in when i want to put it on a 40gb one. idk what to do!!

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

Just now, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

@Electronics WizardyI just booted it off a usb, didnt ask where to install ubuntu, it semeed to have made a 9gb partition to put it in when i want to put it on a 40gb one. idk what to do!!

pics?

It will ask where to install in the installer, did you miss that step? Probably just said continue.

That 9gb partition is probably swap.

So what do i do now? On the top left corner i have an option called "Install ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS" , can you guide me through it?I dont understand how it works

1 minute ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

So what do i do now? On the top left corner i have an option called "Install ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS" , can you guide me through it?I dont understand how it works

can you show pics? 

Open the installer.

What do you see?

once you pick languague and normal install, it will have a install type menu. What do you see?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

can you show pics? 

Open the installer.

What do you see?

once you pick languague and normal install, it will have a install type menu. What do you see?

everytime i do it fails, it shows all the partitions i select 40gb and install and fails. im back onto windows  10 somehow

everytime i do it fails, it shows all the partitions i select 40gb and install and fails. im back onto windows  10 somehow

pics?????

Didi you install the bootloader? Is your system legacy or uefi

eufi as far as i know

Is the Ubuntu Install on the same drive as the Windows 10 install? If not you might have a boot order problem in your bios

Roccair5 You could be right. because i have my ssd and hdd volumes on ubuntu with access to all files/folders

1 minute ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

Roccair5 You could be right. because i have my ssd and hdd volumes on ubuntu with access to all files/folders

where did you put the bootloader?

Bootloader? Im not sure what that is

Also is the Ubuntu boot key still plugged in because if you plugged it in when trying to install Ubuntu and didn't put it on the drive and then removed it it will just boot to Windows.

Bootloader? Im not sure what that is

Pics or your partition layout?

We can't do much with this info. You probably setup the partitions wrong, but I have no idea howl

roccair5 i took it out and it ubuntu was still on but went to windows after restart

Pics or your partition layout?

We can't do much with this info. You probably setup the partitions wrong, but I have no idea howl

Me too, I guess im just dumb :/

can you show pictures? That would really help now...

ok hold on, not relaly sure what to take pics off

Just when Ubuntu was starting up did you click on install Ubuntu or did you click on try Ubuntu?

My phone won't let me put any pictures

9 minutes ago, Roccair5 said:

Just when Ubuntu was starting up did you click on install Ubuntu or did you click on try Ubuntu?

I clicked install, I follow the steps and I'm on this screen with a bunch of partitions, I see the 40gb one I want to install it on but I do not know how, I also don't know what boot loader to select

What does no root file system is defined mean? 

Just choose the wanted partition and then click next. I'm not sure what you mean by you don't know what boot loader to select.