College or work?

Beef Boss

Honestly, I'm caught in a hard decision I'll have to make once I graduate. I can't decide if I want to go to college or just find a good paying job. Sure, it's good to attend college for a better job, but it's not for everyone. Everything has prepared me for college, I'm in post secondary with networking. But, call me lazy or whatever, it's just high-school for me has been such a drag. I used to love school, math and science were my favorites but as it went on... It just got tiring.

(oh wah a high schooler complaining what's new)

Sure we can get a good chance at a job with a college degree, but actually working somewhere is important too. 

So for those of you who haven't attended college, would you or do you regret that? 

And those of you grads, are you happy you attended? 

College speakers don't do a great job, they barely talk about the college and college life. They talk about emotional things to buy you into it without actually introducing the school. 

Or do you think I'm dumb for not wanting to necessarily attend college? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I make nearly 40K a year. I'm 21 and didn't go to college. Been working hard since after high school.

Sure, I could be making 80K a year after 4 years of college, but student debt would render my quality of life as if I were making 25K or less, assuming I even got a job in an over saturated job market.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I make nearly 40K a year. I'm 21 and didn't go to college. Been working hard since after high school.

Sure, I could be making 80K a year after 4 years of college, but student debt would render my quality of life as if I were making 25K or less, assuming I even got a job in an over saturated job market.

That's just it, technology jobs are such a saturated market... I feel like all the classes I've taken will just end up useless. I don't know... 

It's just school now feels like a push over. I'm busy with my own life, my life problems and work... It's like school for me holds me back more than anything. 

I just don't think I'd like it... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Well I'm a senior in High school so Im working on my college apps. Ive decided that If I don't get into 1 of my 4 (Ive got a 5th but they need to give me some money if I'm going there) Community college it will be. 

This is mostly down to my planed major of AeroSpace Engineering, if I was doing something related to tech I would get my AA and a lot of certificates. 

Some info about my parents.

Spoiler

So both my parents attended college and got the same major, one added on later and became a teacher and is about to get her masters. (Teaching has horrible pay for so long especially in many states). My dad on the other hand, has a really bad habit of losing jobs at the exact wrong time, so would he be making the same right now yeah, but there was a time when his paycheck alone was what the house ran off of banking my moms entire check. 

I get it tho, its a hard tossup. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Both. You can go to college and go to work at the same time. I'm the manager at a pet store and making about 31K a year after taxes and going to school full-time. You can do it. You may need to find an employer that can work with your schedule, but it is doable. 

I did have to quit my 2nd job at the vet clinic since graveyard/ER shift pretty much killed any time I had for sleep. Then again, I didn't really have a mentor there except for my best friend, so nothing of value was lost. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, aki adaki said:

That's just it, technology jobs are such a saturated market... I feel like all the classes I've taken will just end up useless. I don't know... 

It's just school now feels like a push over. I'm busy with my own life, my life problems and work... It's like school for me holds me back more than anything. 

I just don't think I'd like it... 

Since you're mechanically inclined, there's quite a bit of selection where I'm at.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

College was the best time of my life. Met a lot of new people, learned a lot more than I could have on my own, even got to explore my country and others on school sponsored trips.

Got a great job I love in my field with great pay straight out of graduation. I also have 0 student loans.

I make a lot more than all my friends who worked after high school.

Do I regret it? Hell no.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

I am going to say, go to uni.

If your parents support you - it's a no brainer.

If you get goverment loans (Like HECS-HELP), once again it's a no brainer.

If you have to pay right out of your own pocket, maybe work a couple of years so you can get a decent loan.

Hi, I am. College graduate. Very recent actually. My starting pay is $43,000 a year. My job is a product developer for a lighting fixture company. 43,000 may not seem like a lot to some people, but that's my pay straight off the bat. 

Some jobs don't require a degree and make great money, but they tend to be more hands on and getting more physical. 

I sit in my office chair with cold AC and take breaks whenever I want. If I want to leave 2 hours early, I can. I'm hourly, not salary. So my paycheck depends on me. If i want OT, i get it. Simple as that. 

There are give and takes. Think about them. As someone else said, they make nearly 40k at 21. I am 24 making 43k. But remember that is STARTING, I still have a lot of time and my pay cap will be well into 100k according to my current boss. 

Good luck on your quest. 

To be honest with you, a lot of this is what you want out of the 1/3 of your life you will spend working. I can only give you my own take.

I was mostly a savant growing up. School was easy, I was an overachiever. I had a 4.0 until I got into smoking weed and drinking (was a bit...socially awkward, and this took the edge off). I went into college on a partial scholarship and a 3.8 GPA, to a great 4-year Midwest art school.

I failed out my first semester.

I had no idea that it would be so strict and unforgiving, and I had never built up the dedication I needed to succeed. And, it was a place where I didn't stand out. I was one of *all* of the kids who were just like me, some more so. I was a number, and used to be someone special.

Years later, I kicked drugs and alcohol, and met someone that picked me up onto my feet, gave me a reason to use the grey between my shoulders. I went to a tech college and learned drafting and design. I crushed it, got a 4.0, did amazingly well. I ended up spending $60k on a 2-year degree and getting ripped off, though. But it was worth it, because ten years into my field, I make more than that salaried for a great company I believe in, and that lists high on the stock market.

I look around and see welders who make more than I do for a 2-year tech degree they spent less on. But I love what I do. I don't come home exhausted. I don't come home hot, greasy, achy, and having sweatted my ass off all day. I have the ability to go back to school for engineering if I want to. A big part of why I went into what I went into was because I watched my dad chase high-paying shop jobs, and break his body. He couldn't pick us up or play with us growing up. He busted up his hands, and when I got into playing drums, he was unable to keep playing guitar. I promised I wouldn't end up like that.

A lot of people undervalue what a technical 2-year degree can do for you. But by comparison, a 2-year degree does what a high school diploma used to do 30 years ago. Big money is to be had getting a 4-year degree. If you do nothing past high school, your options are VERY limited for good, high-paying jobs...and it will take you longer to get to them than someone who went the extra few miles to even get a tech degree.

But for me, I don't want big money. I want to be happy doing what I do every day. To be able to come home and have energy for my wife, my kids. That is more important than anything.

So my advice is to chase what makes you happy. If it's a job doing X, and it needs Y degree or certification, perhaps take some time to mentally prepare yourself, but be ready to give it your all when you do it. Otherwise you'll make an expensive mistake like I did. Surround yourself by people who will support that and make you feel like you can. The friends that pull you away from that aren't worth having. I had to learn that all the hard way.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I am going to say, go to uni.

If your parents support you - it's a no brainer.

If you get goverment loans (Like HECS-HELP), once again it's a no brainer.

If you have to pay right out of your own pocket, maybe work a couple of years so you can get a decent loan.

It's not a no brainer for those of us in the US. Unless you're going into a medical field, chances are you're not going to be making much money if you manage to get a job in your field. Service job market is over saturated.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

If you don't go to college or university, and you're not going into a trade (which a lot of the time still require some level of schooling) you're going to be left behind, and your earning potential isn't nearly as high. Simple fact. My friend does hiring for his department at a power company, and he's had people with Engineering degrees applying for laborer positions. There are so many people that have degrees, that if you don't have one (even unrelated to the field) you're going to get bumped down the list unless you accept a significantly lower wage.

Aside from what you'll learn in college, the connections you make are equally, if not more important. A huge majority of jobs are gained by knowing people, not necessarily having the best resume.

I wouldn't say you're dumb for not wanting to attend college, as it's expensive, and if you don't know what you want to take it can be a waste of time. However, I'd definitely say it's a necessity this day in age. You could always go for something business related, just to have something on your resume. Usually only takes a couple years.

My biggest piece of advice: make sure you research the viability of what you take. Just because it's something you want to do doesn't mean there's enough of a market for you to gain employment. I know tons of people who have degrees they don't use that they spent years getting because the market's simply too saturated.

What good paying job were you planning on finding with no post secondary education?

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You can go to a two year technical school and make significantly more than $40k a year. Second year out of post secondary with a 2 year Power Engineering degree and my friend was pulling in $100k+.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Sit in my office chair with cold AC and take breaks whenever I want. 

That's another problem. I don't want just a desk job. For the whole year (365 days) I've been working I work inside. Itd drive me NUTS being inside all day. But outside and networking doesn't mix much. I've been considering electrical maybe... But I haven't taken a single class that pertains to it. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

You can go to community college or online school whilst you work. Many towns have apprenticeships like electricians. An apprenticeship & college is 2 educations & you get paid. 

It is a very hard question. I don't have scholarships, and my community college keeps pushing student loan onto me. I am planning to transfer to a big college after I finish my transfer credits, but the biggest problem is the college I am planning to transfer whose tuition is very expensive than my community college. I will need $40k+ to spare alone for my master degree in Computer Science ( assume I can earn it). I probably have to do a full time work for 2 years or more than going back to get my college degree, but my mind might say nah for going back for my master degree. 

nickpicker has the right of it.

even an associates degree puts you head and shoulders above high school kids.

If you treat college like a job, you will get 99% more out of it than if you treat it like high school.  I know that's hard when you're young and invincible.

FYI, I got an associates in cisco networking and basic electronics and now I make 6 fig.  My job isn't as cush as light designer guy but I also don't break myself either.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, dizmo said:

You can go to a two year technical school and make significantly more than $40k a year.

Not without incurring a substantial amount of debt or working an area with a substantially higher cost of living. The catch all go to college advice is horrible advice.

1 minute ago, aki adaki said:

That's another problem. I don't want just a desk job. For the whole year (365 days) I've been working I work inside. Itd drive me NUTS being inside all day. But outside and networking doesn't mix much. I've been considering electrical maybe... But I haven't taken a single class that pertains to it. 

Come out to Idaho and take up an apprenticeship. Construction here has been picking up rapidly. The contractor we work with is now dealing with 3 different electricians because no single outfit can do all of their work.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Yoinkerman said:

nickpicker has the right of it.

even an associates degree puts you head and shoulders above high school kids.

If you treat college like a job, you will get 99% more out of it than if you treat it like high school.  I know that's hard when you're young and invincible.

FYI, I got an associates in cisco networking and basic electronics and now I make 6 fig.  My job isn't as cush as light designer guy but I also don't break myself either.

Absolutely. Associate Degree/Advanced Diploma/Diploma and Bachelors have very amounts of underemployment associated with them

0.60C8!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

WHAT IS UNDEREMPLOYMENT?

Spoiler

The International Labour Organization (ILO) defines underemployment as the underutilisation of the productive capacity of the employed population. The concept is part of the framework for measuring the labour force, with the underemployed being those in the employed population who are willing and available to work more.

The ABS uses a time-related definition for underemployment, and currently categorises people as underemployed if they belong to either of the following two groups:

• People employed part time who wanted to work more hours and were available to start work with more hours, either in the reference week or in the four weeks subsequent to the survey; or
  • People who are usually employed full time but who actually worked part time hours in the reference week for economic reasons.

From an economic perspective, underemployment reflects underutilised productive capacity. At an individual and household level it represents lost opportunities for people to engage more fully in work and derive their desired financial and personal benefits.

APPENDIX - SKILL LEVEL GROUPS

Spoiler

SKILL LEVEL 1

Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. 

SKILL LEVEL 2

Occupations at Skill Level 2 have a level of skill commensurate with an Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma. At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. 

SKILL LEVEL 3

Occupations at Skill Level 3 have a level of skill commensurate with Certificate IV or Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training. At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification. 

SKILL LEVEL 4

Occupations at Skill Level 4 have a level of skill commensurate with Certificate II or III. At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience may be required in addition to the formal qualification. 

SKILL LEVEL 5

Occupations at Skill Level 5 have a level of skill commensurate with Certificate I or compulsory secondary education. For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances, no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required. 

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/6202.0Main Features5Nov 2016

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's not a no brainer for those of us in the US. Unless you're going into a medical field, chances are you're not going to be making much money if you manage to get a job in your field. Service job market is over saturated.

Any qualification puts you above high school graduates. Going to TAFE (Technical And Further Education) to get a Certificate IV will put you miles ahead of someone who just finished high school and has no formal qualifications.

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Any qualification puts you above high school graduates. Going to TAFE (Technical And Further Education) to get a Certificate IV will put you miles ahead of someone who just finished high school and has no formal qualifications.

That only matters for service jobs, which again, over saturated job market in the US.

Just saying that going to college puts you above someone that didn't, so you should go, is bad advice.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not without incurring a substantial amount of debt or working an area with a substantially higher cost of living. The catch all go to college advice is horrible advice.

You don't have to go to a top tier school. As I said in my example, 2 years in a technical school to come out with a job paying in excess of $100k a year is not something to be overlooked. Hiring managers will look at people with degrees of any kind as more employable, even if it's unrelated, as it shows you're able to learn and retain knowledge. What makes you think that having a college degree means you'll have to live in an area with a higher cost of living? Those are completely unrelated.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Well, not if you do it right. Get high SAT scores and grades in highschool, and you don't pay squat for college. My brother is studying aerospace engineering for free at USF rn. Never had to pay a dime, and he gets money back. 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Just now, dizmo said:

2 years in a technical school to come out with a job paying in excess of $100k a year is not something to be overlooked.

Those jobs are few and far between, and typically are in areas where the cost of living is substantially higher. Most people don't come out ahead.

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What makes you think that having a college degree means you'll have to live in an area with a higher cost of living?

Most high paying jobs that higher fresh out of college only pay as much as they do because of the cost of living where said jobs are. What few that aren't, not a single person on this forum has a chance of getting.

4 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Get high SAT scores and grades in highschool, and you don't pay squat for college.

And what about the majority of the population that doesn't top SAT scores? You say it like anyone can do it. Most people can't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That only matters for service jobs, which again, over saturated job market in the US.

Service jobs? Idk what that means. I'd assume customer service, call centres and shit like that, which a qualification wouldn't help you much there, because being overqualified is a thing.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Just saying that going to college puts you above someone that didn't, so you should go, is bad advice.

If you get a Certificate IV in a relevant thing to the job you want, how does that not set you aside from that guy who finished high school? 

If I was looking for someone to fill a Finace roll, someone with a Certificate IV in Business Administration would be a safer bet than someone who finished high school, and has no experience in Finance or Business.

I'm 22, currently in college. I had a similar dilemma as you. I chose to go to college, so i could get a better job. After 2 years, i didn't have the finances to keep going to college and had to drop out for a semester, and then take a lighter course-load the following semester.

Right now, I'm working full-time while attending school. And sure, you can make decent money if you don't go to college, especially if you get a job in construction, or comparable (~70-80k). But those jobs are grueling labor. I'm currently making just over 40k and i hate my job. Although college can be difficult/tiring, I can't wait to graduate and get a better job. I work among 40 year old people who also hate their jobs. I couldn't imagine having to work a job i hate my entire life. But for now, the pay is decent, and i need it to make a better life for myself.

I think something big to look at is that if you pick a major you enjoy, you can get a job you enjoy after.  College is a lot of fun too, you just have to be able to keep your school life, and social life/extracurricular life in balance. And i absolutely wouldn't say tech jobs are oversaturated. Engineers and programmers are in huge demand. All of my friends in these fields got well-paying jobs right after graduating. One of my friends got a job coding in python, and made 90k his first year after graduating. His employer says he's still short-staffed.

College isn't for all people, but if it's a toss-up, I say go for it.