Will an i5-8400 Pair Well Enough With A Vega 64?

DWait

I currently have an RX 580 and i5-8400 with 16GB of RAM. I wanted to upgrade my GPU and I was wondering, before I bought it, if an i5-8400 will pair well enough with the Vega 64. I know it's comparable to a GTX 1080 and I was going to buy a Nvidia card but I remembered I have a FreeSync monitor. I don't really want to go to the trouble of buying the card, selling the monitor, ordering a new one and waiting for so long without a good monitor to pair the new card with. Anyway, I found someone on Craigslist who is going to sell me a 750W power supply and the Vega 64 for my RX 580 and $270. Seems like a great deal. What do you guys think? 

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
removed "urgent" from title

CPU: i5-8400 GPU: PowerColor RX Vega 64 RAM: Team Vulcan 2x8 GB DDR4 MOBO: MSI H370M Bazooka Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD/ 480 GB PNY SSD Keyboard: Coolermaster CK552 Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Headphones: Sennheiser PC37X Monitors: HP Omen 25" 144HZ/ HPcwa 21.5"

Just now, DWait said:

I currently have an RX 580 and i5-8400 with 16GB of RAM. I wanted to upgrade my GPU and I was wondering, before I bought it, if an i5-8400 will pair well enough with the Vega 64. I know it's comparable to a GTX 1080 and I was going to buy a Nvidia card but I remembered I have a FreeSync monitor. I don't really want to go to the trouble of buying the card, selling the monitor, ordering a new one and waiting for so long without a good monitor to pair the new card with. Anyway, I found someone on Craigslist who is going to sell me a 750W power supply and the Vega 64 for my RX 580 and $270. Seems like a great deal. What do you guys think? 

It would work together just fine, games like battlefield 5 are just starting to use up to 6 cores. Disregarding R6S which uses up to 16 because its a thug.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

well what PSU is it, there is many horible 750W. 

The i5 won't bottleneck it in most cases.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

well what PSU is it, there is many horible 750W. 

The i5 won't bottleneck it in most cases.

Not sure. I am about to ask the guy now. It seems like he is very knowledgeable and nice enough to where it probably wont be some no name trash. At least, I hope.

CPU: i5-8400 GPU: PowerColor RX Vega 64 RAM: Team Vulcan 2x8 GB DDR4 MOBO: MSI H370M Bazooka Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD/ 480 GB PNY SSD Keyboard: Coolermaster CK552 Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Headphones: Sennheiser PC37X Monitors: HP Omen 25" 144HZ/ HPcwa 21.5"

6 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

It would work together just fine, games like battlefield 5 are just starting to use up to 6 cores. Disregarding R6S which uses up to 16 because its a thug.

That's funny I didn't know that R6S is like the game I play most right now lmao.

6 minutes ago, DWait said:

Wait for a cheap used 1080/ti or Vega 7nm, or find a really cheap Vega 56 like $299 cheap?

But neither free-sync or g-sync are worth worrying about, free-sync is just a nice "free" bonus for AMD, and G-sync is never worth the money. You can use an nvidia GPU with a free-sync display without any issues.

Your CPU only bottlenecks your refresh rate/max fps and that CPU is fine for even 144hz gaming

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, DWait said:

That's funny I didn't know that R6S is like the game I play most right now lmao.

7 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Even if a game uses more cores that doesn't mean it's max fps is affected by the CPU

more of the work is likely only being done on Core 0 and Core 1 if you look at a task manager for instance.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Even if a game uses more cores that doesn't mean it's max fps is affected by the CPU

more of the work is likely only being done on Core 0 and Core 1 if you look at a task manager for instance.

The load is usually spread over all my cores, my motherboard is kinda gimping my cpu and gpu so the usage on both ranges from 70-80%, although I have seen it reach a steady 99% before with all cores under full load

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Wait for a cheap used 1080/ti or Vega 7nm, or find a really cheap Vega 56 like $299 cheap?

But neither free-sync or g-sync are worth worrying about, free-sync is just a nice "free" bonus for AMD, and G-sync is never worth the money. You can use an nvidia GPU with a free-sync display without any issues.

Your CPU only bottlenecks your refresh rate/max fps and that CPU is fine for even 144hz gaming

Yeah I'm considering it. It just seems like such a great deal for only $270.

26 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

But neither free-sync or g-sync are worth worrying about, free-sync is just a nice "free" bonus for AMD, and G-sync is never worth the money.

That's highly subjective. A frame rate that doesn't match the refresh rate looks pretty bad to me.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

21 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

The load is usually spread over all my cores, my motherboard is kinda gimping my cpu and gpu so the usage on both ranges from 70-80%, although I have seen it reach a steady 99% before with all cores under full load

It may seem like that, but that doesn't exactly increase performance.

like even if a game shows that every thread of a 1950X is being used to 10%, an 8700K is still going to outperform it.

Maybe ass creed unity is the only example where more cores are actually helping noticably, though it's still slower than intel parts there.

16 minutes ago, DWait said:

Yeah I'm considering it. It just seems like such a great deal for only $270.

Vega 64 for $270? What kind of scam are you about to fall into lol, that's a $400 GPU easily

Buy it if it's not a scam for sure

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's highly subjective. A frame rate that doesn't match the refresh rate looks pretty bad to me.

Most people don't seem to care, and you could just run your display at 100hz with fast sync/enhanced sync to get rid of screen tearing and still have over 60hz without adaptive sync.

The only time I ever turned free-sync on was to check it with the windmill demo

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

like even if a game shows that every thread of a 1950X is being used to 10%, an 8700K is still going to outperform it.

Maybe ass creed unity is the only example where more cores are actually helping noticably, though it's still slower than intel parts there.

Vega 64 for $270? What kind of scam are you about to fall into lol, that's a $400 GPU easily

Buy it if it's not a scam for sure

Most people don't seem to care, and you could just run your display at 100hz with fast sync/enhanced sync to get rid of screen tearing and still have over 60hz without adaptive sync.

Like I said, I am buying the card for $200 and giving him my RX 580 which can be an additional $120-150. His original asking price was 350. I am also buying the power supply off of him for $70. So $270 plus whatever he sells that RX 580 for.

1 minute ago, DWait said:

Like I said, I am buying the card for $200 and giving him my RX 580 which can be an additional $120-150. His original asking price was 350. I am also buying the power supply off of him for $70. So $270 plus whatever he sells that RX 580 for.

That's a pretty alright upgrade, if it's a reference Vega 64 just watercool it eventually with that cheap EK fluid gaming kit

also undervolt it to like 1150mV in Wattman when you get it, free performance.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I find that 60fps@60hz looks better than 100fps@144hz.  The stuttering bothers me most as much as tearing. So like I said, it's subjective.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I find that 60fps@60hz looks better than 100fps@144hz.  The stuttering bothers me most as much as tearing. So like I said, it's subjective.

But if you can only get 100fps just lower the refresh rate of the monitor to the fps you're getting, then consider one of the not V-sync options from AMD/Nvidia to get rid of screen tearing.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

I think you should state that the Free-sync, G-sync portion is your opinion. Lots of people such as myself have a hard time playing games without it anymore.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

24 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That's a pretty alright upgrade, if it's a reference Vega 64 just watercool it eventually with that cheap EK fluid gaming kit

also undervolt it to like 1150mV in Wattman when you get it, free performance.

Yeah that's one thing that has scared me if the heat output. Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

35 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Every thread being used to 80-90% ...

And not to mention, when I had my 7700k @ 5.1ghz my framerate was lower than with my 1700 @ 4ghz by about 10-20 on average..

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, DWait said:

Yeah that's one thing that has scared me if the heat output. Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

It's perfectly fine unless you start pushing insane overclocks, probably closer to 200-250W undervolted with a gaming load

11 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Every thread being used to 80-90% ...

And not to mention, when I had my 7700k @ 5.1ghz my framerate was lower than with my 1700 @ 4ghz by about 10-20 on average..

Might just be an ubisoft thing

19 minutes ago, Shiftstealth said:

I think you should state that the Free-sync, G-sync portion is your opinion. Lots of people such as myself have a hard time playing games without it anymore.

I've asked a few people now if they even notice screen tearing, in regards to them about to buy G-sync at $100+ more than a free-sync display, and they usually say no, or have to ask what it is.

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It's perfectly fine unless you start pushing insane overclocks, probably closer to 200-250W undervolted with a gaming load

I've asked a few people now if they even notice screen tearing, in regards to them about to buy G-sync at $100+ more than a free-sync display, and they usually say no, or have to ask what it is.

Oh yeah, FreeSync Vs G-Sync yeah. I thought you meant omitting both. I can certainly tell a difference when there is no version of it. FWIW i'm fairly certain the G-sync laptops actually use Freesync.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

5 minutes ago, Shiftstealth said:

Oh yeah, FreeSync Vs G-Sync yeah. I thought you meant omitting both. I can certainly tell a difference when there is no version of it. FWIW i'm fairly certain the G-sync laptops actually use Freesync.

They do, Nvidia hates freedom so much they screw all of their desktop GPU customers out of cheaper adaptive sync.

You can use free-sync with an nvidia GPU if you pass the signal through a Ryzen APU though, or hack it to think it's a "mobile G-sync" display as Wendell at Level 1 Techs tried once.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

But if you can only get 100fps just lower the refresh rate of the monitor to the fps you're getting, then consider one of the not V-sync options from AMD/Nvidia to get rid of screen tearing.

What are they? Fast Sync is the only one I'm aware of and all that really does is toggle V-Sync on and off. You still get stuttering if the frame rate is lower than the frame rate.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

What are they? Fast Sync is the only one I'm aware of and all that really does is toggle V-Sync on and off. You still get stuttering if the frame rate is lower than the frame rate.

Right with Fast Sync and Enhanced Sync you have to stay above your monitor's refresh rate, which is why you'd want to drop it down to 100hz or so, rather than turning it on at 144hz.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Streetguru said:

In one of the "Mid-season reinforcements" They had tried optimizing the game for high core count cpus and optimize cpu timings and how it utilized it and when, how it worked with windows to tell it to "Fuck off im more important". During the test patch they ran into the problem of low core count cpus 4-8 threads not performing well anymore but cpus like mine were just going insane, so they had to tone it back a bit and make it a little more dependent on the first 4-8 threads but still utilizing the others if given the opportunity. It's the only game I've seen do it. So yeah, It's a Ubi thing. (Also other games utilizing the same Engine of Anvil NEXT 2.0 dont have this optimization so it's game-specific to siege. :D )

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler