R9 290 or GTX 970?

Vhyco_

Guys, in 2018, which of this GPUs would you buy? I can get the 290 for $187 and the 970 for $225 (I'm from Argentina). Which of this two do you think will last longer in time to play 1080p@60fps?

If the 970 were cheaper, I'd say that especially since they're usually overclockable to hell and back, but that's just fucking ridiculous for a 970. Swoop up the 290 but make sure your PSU is decent.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, piero036 said:

Guys, in 2018, which of this GPUs would you buy? I can get the 290 for $187 and the 970 for $225 (I'm from Argentina). Which of this two do you think will last longer in time to play 1080p@60fps?

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-290/2577vs2171

They are very close.

Personally, I'd go with the 970.  It uses less power, makes less heat and has been rock solid in one of my rigs for almost 3 years now.

EDIT - 0 oh, yeah the price....  The 290 might be a better value.

2 minutes ago, piero036 said:

Welcome to the LTT forum!

If I recall correctly, the two perform almost exactly the same. I'd go for the 290, if you want to save money. However, the 970 will have support for more modern features.

They'll both hold up for 1080P @ 60FPS for a while.

970 is somewhere between slightly better and a fair amount better, depending on the game. Considering the price difference, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money though. 

my opinion is worthless but i'm going to give it anyway because this is the internet

Not worth the price hike on the 970 if i'm honest .

But just make sure it has a decent cooler .

Also , don't plan on buying a second one later for crossfire . I tried doing that and i haven't been able to close my side panel since.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

The 290 is cheaper (still expensive af for a non-X 4GB 290 tho) and performs almost the same

Spoiler

pd. ojo con el cooler mi hna tiene la 290x que es parecida y si abris cualquier juego hace esto la placa (?

BC6.gif

es la MSI vieja, la primera version que sacaron, horrible

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

To be more specific, this is the GPU.. do you think the coolers are ok?

FB_IMG_15372059382079529.jpg

25 minutes ago, piero036 said:

To be more specific, this is the GPU.. do you think the coolers are ok?

That's a very decent cooler indeed . My own 290's uses that cooler as well .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I have a 290 running 3 monitors on eyefinity

I run titanfall 1 and 2 on triple screen.. no complains

if u have one monitor, there you go

The sapphire is a great cooler, and it runs the same as the 970. Based on price I would go the 290.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Thanks to everyone! I will buy the R9 290 then... Again thanks for your help!