Windows Alarms

Jtalk4456

Ok so i know the better way would probably be to use microsoft outlook, which would then give notifications on desktop, but i like separating things out. I would like to make an alarm on windows itself, regardless of internet connection. And to some degree I can make alarms in windows, but I can't seem to make single use alarms or events/reminders. Am I missing something here, or did windows include an alarm with no function to set an alarm for a specific date and time vs repeating on certain days? 

image.png.02c0b164d304830f57a197b39d7fc84b.png

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

No, the Clock & Alarms app, alarm feature is really like a physical alarm clock and stopwatch.

What you can do, is the Windows Calendar app to see events, and you'll get notifications even if the app is not running (assuming you didn't disable Calendar app from running in the background under Windows settings). But you'll need an Microsoft account (outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com, etc), and isn't offline exclusive, as a result. BUT, you can add it to your phone and also get notifications there with your favorite app.

If you need to schedule a reminder for a specific date, I know cortana will do that.  If I knew a proper way to do it I'd mention it but tbh I actually don't know...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you need to schedule a reminder for a specific date, I know cortana will do that.  If I knew a proper way to do it I'd mention it but tbh I actually don't know...

are you suggesting actually USING cortana????

xD

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

No, the Clock & Alarms app, alarm feature is really like a physical alarm clock and stopwatch.

What you can do, is the Windows Calendar app to see events, and you'll get notifications even if the app is not running (assuming you didn't disable Calendar app from running in the background under Windows settings). But you'll need an Microsoft account (outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com, etc), and isn't offline exclusive, as a result. BUT, you can add it to your phone and also get notifications there with your favorite app.

Since this is a work computer and i already have outlook, i might as well use the outlook calendar if going through microsoft is the only other way. Windows could really stand to fix this blatant lack of thought...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

11 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Since this is a work computer and i already have outlook, i might as well use the outlook calendar if going through microsoft is the only other way. Windows could really stand to fix this blatant lack of thought...

Sorry my mistake: The Mail and Calendar app can link to any mail/calendar service providers that support the protocol needed for third party app, not just Microsoft service. So you can use your Gmail, Yahoo, etc. account. You can, link your company e-mail/calendar account with it as well. While you'll lose a lot of features that Outlook offers. the benefits is that you don't need to have Outlook running to get notifications... but that is all. It is a basic Mail and calendar app. Yes, you can have both Outlook and Mail/Calendar app. Think of it as setting your company e-mail/calendar with your smartphone, same thing... but that smartphone is running Windows 10 and is a desktop/laptop.

3 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

are you suggesting actually USING cortana????

xD

it's not what you think! xD if you just type "remind me" or something like that into the start menu you get the interface for setting one up, it's nothing unusual but technically that is using Cortana.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

it's not what you think! xD if you just type "remind me" or something like that into the start menu you get the interface for setting one up, it's nothing unusual but technically that is using Cortana.

you heathen! In order to do that you have to accept her terms and conditions and give up your soul! I will NOT give in to her!