opera developer not running in Ubuntu

Everything working perfect, until about a week ago, that Opera Developer 47 does not run in my Ubuntu.

When trying to run Developer as administrator, I get message:

"Can't open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient privileges. You might want to contact the administrator of this machine. "

What I did is that, by mistake, I run two instances of Opera too fast. Unfortunately, I had closed Opera, and I wanted to launch another application. The launch button of the other app was nearby to that of Opera. So, by mistake, I relaunched Opera too fast while it was closing in background yet.

Since then, I cannot launch Opera with this message.

It is the same mistake as here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2371416

This user, solved his problem with just a log-off and log-in. I have made many restarts, but the problem persists.

Is there any solution?

Thank you !

3 minutes ago, johnyb98 said:

Everything working perfect, until about a week ago, that Opera Developer 47 does not run in my Ubuntu.

When trying to run Developer as administrator, I get message:

"Can't open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient privileges. You might want to contact the administrator of this machine. "

What I did is that, by mistake, I run two instances of Opera too fast. Unfortunately, I had closed Opera, and I wanted to launch another application. The launch button of the other app was nearby to that of Opera. So, by mistake, I relaunched Opera too fast while it was closing in background yet.

Since then, I cannot launch Opera with this message.

It is the same mistake as here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2371416

This user, solved his problem with just a log-off and log-in. I have made many restarts, but the problem persists.

Is there any solution?

Thank you !

Try running

sudo opera

in a terminal maybe?(Since it complains about permissions)

2 minutes ago, timl132 said:

Try running

in a terminal maybe?(Since it complains about permissions)

Of course, results is:

sudo: opera: command not found

3 minutes ago, johnyb98 said:

Of course, results is:

sudo: opera: command not found

I am not sure how opera is called actually, maybe opera-browser?

Try finding the exectuable location from a shortcut or something and launch with sudo in a terminal.

Go to opera launcher icon and click on property. It should tell you the command it uses for launching the application. 

The launcher is in in your home .local/applications or usr/local/applications. 

You can also use the locate command which is like the most heavy duty locator I see on Linux. 

If the thing is broken, reinstall it. Use apt purge and auto remove command to get rid of all the system settings for opera. Then go into your home folder and delete any and all opera residue files you see. They can be in its opera folder or be in your .local .cache or .Config folder. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Go to opera launcher icon and click on property. It should tell you the command it uses for launching the application. 

The launcher is in in your home .local/applications or usr/local/applications. 

You can also use the locate command which is like the most heavy duty locator I see on Linux. 

If the thing is broken, reinstall it. Use apt purge and auto remove command to get rid of all the system settings for opera. Then go into your home folder and delete any and all opera residue files you see. They can be in its opera folder or be in your .local .cache or .Config folder. 

Thanks a lot for your advice and guide for completely cleaning up all opera data. I will for sure need it to get rid off all data of Chrome I have in Ubuntu, and these data do not let me install and use Chrome in Ubuntu.

As for developer, problem solved. I was kind of lucky. Yesterday, I had made a ghost of Ubuntu hard disk to another one. Playing in this ghost disk with files "Current Session" "Current Session.bak" "Last Session" "Last Session.bak" in folder of developer (/home/admin folder/.config/opera-developer) I finally managed get back the session I wanted, and opera launches normally. But next time I will be very careful with what I launch and what icons I tap.

Also history and bookmarks are all in their place.

I hope with your guide I manage make it with chrome also.

Thank you all for your answers.

ps Please, keep around, because maybe I need some advice for my chrome effort. :)

Thanks again !!