Lost 2FA can't access account

spuderbaggen

Quite a long time ago I lost my 2FA codes for my normal account. At the time I didn't really care, because I wasn't using the forums much, but lately I have been watching a lot more LTT videos and I wanted to start using the forum a bit more. However there is no way for me to recover my normal account. The username of the account I lost is spiderbiggen as it is for almost all my other accounts. Is there a way for me to regain acces to this account.

24 minutes ago, spuderbaggen said:

Quite a long time ago I lost my 2FA codes for my normal account. At the time I didn't really care, because I wasn't using the forums much, but lately I have been watching a lot more LTT videos and I wanted to start using the forum a bit more. However there is no way for me to recover my normal account. The username of the account I lost is spiderbiggen as it is for almost all my other accounts. Is there a way for me to regain acces to this account.

When you enabled 2FA for the forums, you were able to generate and print off or save backup codes. You'd use these codes to get back into your account if you ever lost your 2FA authenticator. Did you save these backup codes when you still had access to your old account?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I'm afraid not, or if I did I may have lost them. Either way I can't find them

31 minutes ago, spuderbaggen said:

I'm afraid not, or if I did I may have lost them. Either way I can't find them

Then you may be locked out of that account permanently. This is how 2FA works. If there were another way to magically grant you access you an account that had 2FA setup, it would undermine the security of 2FA for all other accounts on the same site or platform, and make me question using the platform ever again knowing that the administrators allowed someone to get around 2FA without backup codes or their 2FA device.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

@kirashi I understand that, however most websites have a way to recover your account if you've lost those, generally through email, which I can't see the option for here (currently).

1 minute ago, spuderbaggen said:

@kirashi I understand that, however most websites have a way to recover your account if you've lost those, generally through email, which I can't see the option for here (currently).

Mhm I know what you're saying there - places like banks can verify your identity in person, which is much easier since you can just walk in with paperwork and ID and talk to a teller to reset something like online banking. Hopefully one of the staff members or colonel_mortis can assist as mentioned by Crunch Dragon above by asking a whole bunch of questions about things that only the account holder would know about the old account.

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

asking a whole bunch of questions about things that only the account holder would know about the old account.

Not just that, administrators have access to a lot of stuff.

I'm purely guessing here that 2FA codes might be on the list. They might not be, but it's worth a check anyway in my opinion.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If you send me a PM with the username and email of the account that you can no longer access, I can help you to recover it.

HTTP/2 203