aluminum + nickel reaction (im CRAZY)

Adab5

I have to agree with everyone here that it is a bad idea but ultimately at the end of the day it is your choice as to what you do with your money and your belongings.

However if you are truly dead set on using aluminium and believe that EK will develop a aluminium block for the RTX series then would it not be a good idea to simply chuck a half decent air cooler on the CPU and leave the system air cooled until the aluminium block is available? I understand that a full copper loop is expensive when compared to an aluminium one, but destroying the loop and having to buy all the parts again is also very expensive.

With that out the way I do have a suggestion if you intend to go through with this, have a look at Mayhems Inhibitor+. It is an additive that is supposed to be suitable for mixed metals including aluminium. You will need to add some every month, but it might be your best shot. You can mix it with coolant or with distilled water along with Biocide+.

https://www.mayhems.net/products/mayhems-inhibitor-15ml

Best of luck..

3 hours ago, Zammin said:

With that out the way I do have a suggestion if you intend to go through with this, have a look at Mayhems Inhibitor+. It is an additive that is supposed to be suitable for mixed metals including aluminium. You will need to add some every month, but it might be your best shot. You can mix it with coolant or with distilled water along with Biocide+.

https://www.mayhems.net/products/mayhems-inhibitor-15ml

Best of luck..

Ohh fuck I love you so much I’m gonna give it a shoot

Today I have this - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-lime-yellow-concentrate-100ml

which I mixed with 1 liter of distilled water, 

so I should just mayhem’s shit, and mix it all bottle with the liquid I have?? It wouldn’t affect the color? 

14 minutes ago, Adab5 said:

Ohh fuck I love you so much I’m gonna give it a shoot

Today I have this - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-lime-yellow-concentrate-100ml

which I mixed with 1 liter of distilled water, 

so I should just mayhem’s shit, and mix it all bottle with the liquid I have?? It wouldn’t affect the color? 

I know that it's safe to use with mayhems coloured dyes and coolants, I don't know about EK. You may want to send an email to mayhems, tell them what you are planning to do and ask for advice. Or you can ask in the "Mayhems Users Club" thread on OCN as Michael is usually active there: https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1286896-mayhems-users-club-1599.html

5 minutes ago, Zammin said:

I know that it's safe to use with mayhems coloured dyes and coolants, I don't know about EK. You may want to send an email to mayhems, tell them what you are planning to do and ask for advice. Or you can ask in the "Mayhems Users Club" thread on OCN as Michael is usually active there: https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1286896-mayhems-users-club-1599.html

Ohh that sucks :( they don’t sent to my cuntry!! 

I was able to find them on amazon but not the inhibitor diy stand alone 

only this pre mix https://www.amazon.com/Mayhems-Aurora-Premixed-Watercooling-Fluid/dp/B00QJI9YJK?crid=2HWSWZ3KT23RJ&keywords=mayhems+inhibitor&qid=1537256117&sprefix=mayhems+in&sr=8-3-fkmrnull&ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_3

i couldn’t understand if this mix is already *mixed* with Inhibitor+. And biocides+ cause my English is not so well, can you look at the description of the produect to help me understand if it’s already mixed with everything I need 

thank you !

3 minutes ago, Adab5 said:

only this pre mix https://www.amazon.com/Mayhems-Aurora-Premixed-Watercooling-Fluid/dp/B00QJI9YJK?crid=2HWSWZ3KT23RJ&keywords=mayhems+inhibitor&qid=1537256117&sprefix=mayhems+in&sr=8-3-fkmrnull&ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_3

i couldn’t understand if this mix is already *mixed* with Inhibitor+. And biocides+ cause my English is not so well, can you look at the description of the produect to help me understand if it’s already mixed with everything I need 

thank you !

And if not, I’ll be happy to a link on amazon of a premix (if it can be white it will be perfect) that already include all i need, I live in israel

thanks  again

2 minutes ago, Adab5 said:

thank you !

They don't ship to your country directly from the mayhems website? damn.

Inhibitor+ is a new product and from what I gather (based on comments from Mayhems on OCN) it's not included in any of their existing coolants. It's meant to be used as an additive in combination with Biocide+. I bought it with the biocide with the intention of using it in distilled water with non-stin red dye.

Aquacomputer Double Protect Ultra coolant says it's supposed to be ok for aluminium and copper, but to be honest a lot of coolants say that and I'm not sure how long it will protect your system from galvanic corrosion for..

Here it is in case you're interested. https://www.performance-pcs.com/aquacomputer-double-protect-ultra-1000ml-red.html

"DP Ultra was specially designed for PC cooling applications with systems containing both copper and Aluminium components."

7 hours ago, Zammin said:

However if you are truly dead set on using aluminium and believe that EK will develop a aluminium block for the RTX series then would it not be a good idea to simply chuck a half decent air cooler on the CPU and leave the system air cooled until the aluminium block is available? I understand that a full copper loop is expensive when compared to an aluminium one, but destroying the loop and having to buy all the parts again is also very expensive.

The easiest and best way is to not include the GPU in the loop and just maintain the CPU loop. There is absolutely nothing wrong about having a custom liquid cooled CPU and an air cooled GPU. Just unplugging the two connectors on the GPU waterblock, and connecting it straight to the next component will easily produce a CPU-only loop. I do not understand why OP "has" to watercool, these cards are designed to be aircooled with fairly beefy aircoolers this generation.

At this point I'm ready to withdraw from this thread and wait to the train wreck when @Adab5 puts Aurora 2 into an aluminium loop with popcorn at hand. These mixed metal coolants are typically for conventional loops since even with the best intentions you have a mixed metal system of nickel, copper, stainless steel, and brass. These coolants are not designed for aluminium and copper mixes even if they contain anti-corrosives such as hexanoic acid or benzotriazole. Some coolants like Thermaltake C1000 opaque say they are aluminium ready, but will precipitate faster than you can say precipitate.

I've summarized some of these coolants before with more information about the general lack of documentation here.

Spoiler

Double protect ultra - Only mentions corrosion inhibitors, no MSDS available.

Mayhem ultra pure H2O - Just water, nothing else, not suitable as coolant

Protect IP - Ethylene glycol based, not suitable for PETG, anti-corrosive is hexanoic acid, same as EK-cryofuel. 

RAIAQUA - Propylene glycol based, no document biocidal properties.

XSPC EC6 - Also propylene glycol, no documented biocidal ingrediants

Thermaltake Coolant - Ethylene glycol based, not suitable for PETG, no added biocides or anticorrosives

IMO all of them are only so-so at best. According to the documentation available (or not), EK-Cryofuel is the best option above all the above for the following reasons:

- It is water based, and so compatible with PETG (unlike protect IP)

- Contains organic biocide (as opposed to not, or inorganic biocides such as copper sulphate)

- Contains anti-corrosives (tri-azole based, and also hexanoic acid based)

Read here for more information:

i thought nickel was suppossed to be neutral. i kn ow about copper + alu being a bad idea but i though copper + nickel OR alu + nickel should work, no?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

5 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

i thought nickel was suppossed to be neutral. i kn ow about copper + alu being a bad idea but i though copper + nickel OR alu + nickel should work, no?

Your question is irrelevant to the thread, but I will answer anyway.

"How bad it is" is largely dependent on how far away two metals are on the galvanic series. Nickel and Aluminium would be really bad, even worse than copper + alu.

Electrochemical Series

https://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

The aluminium will disolve. It will generate a 1,41V difference with Ni (2,00V between Al and Cu). I have no faith in the inhibitors, unless they contain solid magnesium or solid sodium. I don't consider that to be very likely.

Come on, this is not that advanced chemistry.

:)

47 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The easiest and best way is to not include the GPU in the loop and just maintain the CPU loop. There is absolutely nothing wrong about having a custom liquid cooled CPU and an air cooled GPU. Just unplugging the two connectors on the GPU waterblock, and connecting it straight to the next component will easily produce a CPU-only loop. I do not understand why OP "has" to watercool, these cards are designed to be aircooled with fairly beefy aircoolers this generation.

At this point I'm ready to withdraw from this thread and wait to the train wreck when @Adab5 puts Aurora 2 into an aluminium loop with popcorn at hand. These mixed metal coolants are typically for conventional loops since even with the best intentions you have a mixed metal system of nickel, copper, stainless steel, and brass. These coolants are not designed for aluminium and copper mixes even if they contain anti-corrosives such as hexanoic acid or benzotriazole. Some coolants like Thermaltake C1000 opaque say they are aluminium ready, but will precipitate faster than you can say precipitate.

I've summarized some of these coolants before with more information about the general lack of documentation here.

Reveal hidden contents

Double protect ultra - Only mentions corrosion inhibitors, no MSDS available.

Mayhem ultra pure H2O - Just water, nothing else, not suitable as coolant

Protect IP - Ethylene glycol based, not suitable for PETG, anti-corrosive is hexanoic acid, same as EK-cryofuel. 

RAIAQUA - Propylene glycol based, no document biocidal properties.

XSPC EC6 - Also propylene glycol, no documented biocidal ingrediants

Thermaltake Coolant - Ethylene glycol based, not suitable for PETG, no added biocides or anticorrosives

IMO all of them are only so-so at best. According to the documentation available (or not), EK-Cryofuel is the best option above all the above for the following reasons:

- It is water based, and so compatible with PETG (unlike protect IP)

- Contains organic biocide (as opposed to not, or inorganic biocides such as copper sulphate)

- Contains anti-corrosives (tri-azole based, and also hexanoic acid based)

Read here for more information:

You're not wrong, I just wanted to suggest something that hadn't already been suggested. It definitely makes sense to do either one of those things rather than risk destroying the entire loop.

Yeah I had a feeling that it was too good to be true with how many coolants claim to be safe for mixed metals. I personally don't run aluminium so it isn't a problem for me, but hopefully some of the info I provided is at least somewhat helpful.

I'm not sure where you heard 6-9 months, but I just asked their support and I was told this:

EKWB Support (Igor) (EKWB Support)

Sep 18, 13:59 CEST

Hi

These are expected to be available approximately a month or so after the copper line of blocks. 

Best regards, Igor

11 hours ago, ItsPulse said:

I'm not sure where you heard 6-9 months, but I just asked their support and I was told this:

Hi

These are expected to be available approximately a month or so after the copper line of blocks. 

Best regards, Igor

That's excellent. Now there is no need to risk galvanic corrosion :)

14 hours ago, Zammin said:

That's excellent. Now there is no need to risk galvanic corrosion :)

On 18.9.2018 at 5:55 PM, ItsPulse said:

Hi

Best regards, Igor

EKWB Support (Keenan) (EKWB Support)

Sep 18, 21:28 CEST

Hello Dani, 

Thank you for contacting us, 
At this time we don't have a specific release date for the fluid gaming RTX block but we do have it in the works so we haven't forgotten about you!
Please keep an eye out on our social media page and news outlets for the latest releases.

Best regards, Keenan 

thats what they told me -today-

and a week before you they told me in the end of the year (maybe !! ) 

• 2 weeks later...

Just do a universal aluminum block and cool everything else with heatsinks