Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VegetableStu

Techsource's studio got burgled.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

No.

It's your home up to an agreed upon value and undeclared contents up to an agreed upon value and declared contents up to an agreed upon value that are covered for an agreed upon set of circumstances.

Hypothetical

Let's say I take out a home and contents insurance policy on my house and contents and agree for 500k for the house, 30k for declared assets like TVs, Computers, expensive jewellery, etc, and another 10k for undeclared assets such as clothing and pots and pans and books and other miscellaneous items that aren't valuable enough to be worth listing and declaring individually. If my house burns to the ground in a manner of fire that is covered by my insurance policy and my house and all items are completely destroyed, then the absolute most I will get is 540k (500k [House] + 30k [Declared Assets] + 10k [Undeclared Assets]). It doesn't matter if I hung the original Mona Lisa on my living room wall - I still only get 540k. It's not covered if I haven't declared it and agreed upon its value with the insurance company (or its value is covered within the amount agreed for 'undeclared assets').

There's also the situation where if I declared the property as a residential property I was living in, but was later discovered that I was actually living elsewhere and was operating the premises as a commercial property - then the insurance company might not pay out at all and I may even be charged with fraud*.
(*normally pressing fraud charges is part of the legal proceedings the insurance company will take in order to recover their loss from you if they paid out the claim and then later discovered you made false statements on your insurance claim/was fraudulent)

That’s pretty much what I said with a lot more effort.

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I think this is where the confusion comes in, when TS started his channel with no insurance, they probably meant to say no business insurance, as a 'youtuber' business, as opposed to no insurance at all. 

In terms of insurance, Home and Contents is literally your residence and whats in it. 

Nope, not all the time. I can tell you, here in the UK you have to pay extra for big ticket items, and list them on the insurance. My insurance doesn't even cover outbuildings like sheds, the amount they wanted to cover it was excessive IMO. So I keep my tools and moveable stuff in my house now and take them to the shed when I need them... it's a pain in the arse, but not worth almost double our insurance costs just to cover a few tools. If I had big DIY stuff that costs thousands then yes it would be worth it, but not for the amount of tools I have currently.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Please use  https://www.dictionary.com/  if you don't know how to spell something with any confidence, to check.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/c4z9GX
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Wait this the guy who was 'accused' of not following through on tech giveaways? Like he'd just never send the prize? I didn't follow the story closely.

I loved his videos but after I learned a lot about him I stopped watching.

1) his website he sold merchandise that were reviewer use only. (Don’t know if he still does)

2) had a sweepstake and shit talked to someone that has won. (Old reddit case) 

3) some of his reviews on products are a garbage lie. (Bought some wireless headphones based on his review and sounded terrible and easily fell off)

back when I watched his channel he had only amazon links didn’t have eBay, so basically he is interested in giving deals that he gets a kickback from. 

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Wait this the guy who was 'accused' of not following through on tech giveaways? Like he'd just never send the prize? I didn't follow the story closely.

50 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

I loved his videos but after I learned a lot about him I stopped watching.

1) his website he sold merchandise that were reviewer use only. (Don’t know if he still does)

2) had a sweepstake and shit talked to someone that has won. (Old reddit case) 

3) some of his reviews on products are a garbage lie. (Bought some wireless headphones based on his review and sounded terrible and easily fell off)

back when I watched his channel he had only amazon links didn’t have eBay, so basically he is interested in giving deals that he gets a kickback from. 

oh, really? o_o haven't been following his stuff before, so I'm not too aware about the history

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Nope, not all the time. I can tell you, here in the UK you have to pay extra for big ticket items, and list them on the insurance. My insurance doesn't even cover outbuildings like sheds, the amount they wanted to cover it was excessive IMO. So I keep my tools and moveable stuff in my house now and take them to the shed when I need them... it's a pain in the arse, but not worth almost double our insurance costs just to cover a few tools. If I had big DIY stuff that costs thousands then yes it would be worth it, but not for the amount of tools I have currently.

Different places different policies all I can say.

I find the dude to be shady personally. While it's entirely possible that he surrounds himself with people of a similar caliber which resulted in this event...

...I think there is equal potential for this to be another shady stunt by him. No matter what actually happened here, it sucks. Shitty situation is shitty.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.

Yep, running a studio with no security and no insurance? Might as well write off the case and kiss your stuff goodbye. Taking no effort to secure your stuff is on you. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

I haven't watched his content in quite a long time, and especially not after all not so flattering news that surfaced about him a number of years ago mentioned by someone above. Sucks to have everything stolen, but insurance goes a long way, especially for all that expensive studio gear.

A few things I find bizzare:

- Doesn't seem like it was broken into at all, more like picked up (They didn't seem strapped for time)

- Able to turn cameras off, so no footage

- No alarms?

- All the stuff sitting behind a garage door (which can all be opened pretty easily, especially older locks)

- Everything expensive just lying around. Might seem pretty trivial to keep stuff on display, but if its in a garage or anything off-site, I'd probably keep it in a locked cabinet. Especially a $30,000 camera. 

So just to mull over, but the fact that they took their time, and everything seems pretty tidy - and being easy to get to, means it should be pretty clear cut, especially for such a small channel. But the fact that the detective it taking so long means there is probably more to this than meets the eye. I think a fair statement would be that everything about it is a little mundane. 

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

oh, really? o_o haven't been following his stuff before, so I'm not too aware about the history

I can't say I know a terrible lot about Techsource but I haven't heard great things, I feel like I follow most of the good Tech channels because good channel collaborate with each other. Channels like Bitwit, Paul's Hardware, Jay, Barnaclues Hardware Canucks, GN, de8auer etc.

Maybe no one told him he needs to lock his doors either... Sure I hope he gets back up again but man this is stupid

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

21 hours ago, Spotty said:

No.

It's your home up to an agreed upon value and undeclared contents up to an agreed upon value and declared contents up to an agreed upon value that are covered for an agreed upon set of circumstances.

Hypothetical

Let's say I take out a home and contents insurance policy on my house and contents and agree for 500k for the house, 30k for declared assets like TVs, Computers, expensive jewellery, etc, and another 10k for undeclared assets such as clothing and pots and pans and books and other miscellaneous items that aren't valuable enough to be worth listing and declaring individually. If my house burns to the ground in a manner of fire that is covered by my insurance policy and my house and all items are completely destroyed, then the absolute most I will get is 540k (500k [House] + 30k [Declared Assets] + 10k [Undeclared Assets]). It doesn't matter if I hung the original Mona Lisa on my living room wall - I still only get 540k. It's not covered if I haven't declared it and agreed upon its value with the insurance company (or its value is covered within the amount agreed for 'undeclared assets').

There's also the situation where if I declared the property as a residential property I was living in, but was later discovered that I was actually living elsewhere and was operating the premises as a commercial property - then the insurance company might not pay out at all and I may even be charged with fraud*.
(*normally pressing fraud charges is part of the legal proceedings the insurance company will take in order to recover their loss from you if they paid out the claim and then later discovered you made false statements on your insurance claim/was fraudulent)

Question: If you live in a rented space, but you yourself are not paying rent, can you get renters insurance?

I live with my dad, he pays rent. I have some..... stuff that I suddenly wish to insure (my PC among other things) and I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

12 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Question: If you live in a rented space, but you yourself are not paying rent, can you get renters insurance?

I live with my dad, he pays rent. I have some..... stuff that I suddenly wish to insure (my PC among other things) and I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

1. Yes, you should be able to get renters insurance without actually paying any rent.

2. If your dad already has renters insurance, in theory, your stuff should already be covered, but you can speak to his insurance provider to clarify this if needed.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

14 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

A few things I find bizzare:

- Doesn't seem like it was broken into at all, more like picked up (They didn't seem strapped for time)

- Able to turn cameras off, so no footage

- No alarms?

- All the stuff sitting behind a garage door (which can all be opened pretty easily, especially older locks)

- Everything expensive just lying around. Might seem pretty trivial to keep stuff on display, but if its in a garage or anything off-site, I'd probably keep it in a locked cabinet. Especially a $30,000 camera. 

So just to mull over, but the fact that they took their time, and everything seems pretty tidy - and being easy to get to, means it should be pretty clear cut, especially for such a small channel. But the fact that the detective it taking so long means there is probably more to this than meets the eye. I think a fair statement would be that everything about it is a little mundane. 

I noticed the same thing as you. And I'm certainly not saying Ed is lying, not at all, but it does look like there was no rush in taking those things. He said he is 99.99% sure who it was that took his things, so maybe this explains why the place doesn't look ransacked. Maybe the person he is speaking of removed things occasionally (for whatever reason), but always brought the items back. Only he knows for sure. Again, not saying Ed is lying. I hope he gets his stuff back and prosecutes all involved. Getting robbed sucks!

I do know one thing for certain, I hate a damn thief!

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

1. Yes, you should be able to get renters insurance without actually paying any rent.

2. If your dad already has renters insurance, in theory, your stuff should already be covered, but you can speak to his insurance provider to clarify this if needed.

I would assume that I should take pictures with myself and whatever newspaper came out of on the day of the photo for proof of ownership/possession?

I mean, I have proof of purchase of all the PC parts and most of the other stuff.

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I would assume that I should take pictures with myself and whatever newspaper came out of on the day of the photo for proof of ownership/possession?

I mean, I have proof of purchase of all the PC parts and most of the other stuff.

I would speak to the insurance company about any sort of proof of ownership required.

If the item is valued enough to need individual insuring, you will likely need to take a picture and catalogue the specs and value. The insurance policy itself will have a specific cut-off value - you'll need to check what that value is.

I think taking a picture of yourself with the newspaper is probably overkill lol

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

If you take pictures of all your stuff that's enough.  If you want to get crazy you can enable the date stamp.

It's easy.  And you can get like all of your books/games in one picture

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I would speak to the insurance company about any sort of proof of ownership required.

If the item is valued enough to need individual insuring, you will likely need to take a picture and catalogue the specs and value. The insurance policy itself will have a specific cut-off value - you'll need to check what that value is.

I think taking a picture of yourself with the newspaper is probably overkill lol

Good stuff to know.

I go overkill, because I know from firsthand experience that insurance companies spend more money investigating a claim than the actual payout to avoid making a payout.

I don't know how much my moms life insurance was, only what I got, but they spent 6 months trying to prove she knew she had stage 4 pancreatic cancer when she got the policy.

Which pissed me right the hell off.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:23 AM, Densetsu said:

He says that no one told him he needed it. He assumed the building had it. This will be a hard lesson that you are responsible for knowing what you need to run your business. Hopefully other Youtubers and the like can learn from this and make sure their houses are in order. 

Assumption will not pay for all his stuff. Unfortunately, when you are a business owner, you have to make sure of these kinds of things things. If you don't know how to do it, contact someone that does. I do feel for the guy, but this is reality of life. 

36 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Bet you this is a hoax so that he doesn't have to ship out items he promised to give away

That’s a very serious claim. There is no evidence to support that he hoaxed the theft. 

Besides, if he did hoax it, people would eventually find out and destroy his channel. 

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That’s a very serious claim. There is no evidence to support that he hoaxed the theft. 

Besides, if he did hoax it, people would eventually find out and destroy his channel. 

It's kinda my view tbh, but seeing as he has has nothing to gain, with not wanting any gofundme, the only movie would be viewership, which has probably blown up. Everyone is different though and it's important to appreciate that, but coming out of the the blue, even to his family, with a loss of 100k, just seems clickbaity. Can't be certain until there is more information and it is still quite a sad situation, but to me he doesn't act like it, and for the second half of the video it's pretty much like a regular update schedule. To me something is missing.