New PC Build (Opinions on build/compatibility)

kian2k

I basically need feedback on weak points and if I should upgrade/downgrade aswell as tips on compatibility, as far as I know all the parts are compatible but I am not 100% sure.

2 minutes ago, kian2k said:

I assume you have all the other parts for your PC? Specifically, the CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, memory, storage, case, and power supply?

The peripherals and wireless adapter are fine, though.

P.S, after looking through the UK version of eBay, I found some 1080 TI's for a bit less. Go with those, unless I'm seeing things.

1 minute ago, m0n4rchy said:

I assume you have all the other parts for your PC? Specifically, the CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, memory, storage, case, and power supply?

The peripherals and wireless adapter are fine, though.

P.S, after looking through the UK version of eBay, I found some 1080 TI's for a bit less. Go with those, unless I'm seeing things.

Could of looked around a bit more but I love the model and the watercooling system, if so I will definitely go for the 1080 ti. Yes the PCPartPicker has everything apart from the GPU have a look.

1 minute ago, kian2k said:

Could of looked around a bit more but I love the model and the watercooling system, if so I will definitely go for the 1080 ti. Yes the PCPartPicker has everything apart from the GPU have a look.

My bad, thought you forgot the randomly generated bit, haha. Trust me, the possible downgrade in aesthetics and water cooling support will be worth it for the upgrade in performance. Nothing to complain about here, really. Some other people might be a bit more critical than me, but I don't see anything terribly wrong with it.

1 minute ago, m0n4rchy said:

My bad, thought you forgot the randomly generated bit, haha. Trust me, the possible downgrade in aesthetics and water cooling support will be worth it for the upgrade in performance. Nothing to complain about here, really. Some other people might be a bit more critical than me, but I don't see anything terribly wrong with it.

My bad updated the link, have a look now.

Just now, kian2k said:

My bad updated the link, have a look now.

...well, I was crazy. It was a previous list that I made showing, not yours. Now that's sorted out... it's good. The 8600K, when overclocked, can match (or possibly even beat, if you get lucky) an 8700K. Based on the reviews, the CPU cooler and motherboard seem ready to handle overclocking, so that's nice. The memory kit is 16GB AND dual channel AND at a high speed, so no need to change that. I'm assuming that storage will be enough for you, the case looks solid, and the power supply will definitely be able to handle your parts, since that PC but with an 8700K will draw at most 550W.

No major complaints. I'd say go ahead and order this.

2 minutes ago, m0n4rchy said:

...well, I was crazy. It was a previous list that I made showing, not yours. Now that's sorted out... it's good. The 8600K, when overclocked, can match (or possibly even beat, if you get lucky) an 8700K. Based on the reviews, the CPU cooler and motherboard seem ready to handle overclocking, so that's nice. The memory kit is 16GB AND dual channel AND at a high speed, so no need to change that. I'm assuming that storage will be enough for you, the case looks solid, and the power supply will definitely be able to handle your parts, since that PC but with an 8700K will draw at most 550W.

No major complaints. I'd say go ahead and order this.

Thanks for the feedback, so you think everything is compatible seen a few posts about people ordering the wrong things and I don't want to wait if I forget to order something. Making sure I get wireless adapters, any cables needed etc. I went for the H500i because of the built in RGB to save money on aesthetic's and the cable management. I might be going overkill with the 1080 since I am going to be using a 144hz 1ms monitor that can only play 1080p which I am fine with but can happily downgrade to upgrade other parts but I would like to keep it for future monitor upgrades etc. Its a freesync monitor and sometimes I have heard stuff about screen tearing with nvidia gpu's but apparently it's fine when freesync is off, any input on that?

Just now, kian2k said:

Thanks for the feedback, so you think everything is compatible seen a few posts about people ordering the wrong things and I don't want to wait if I forget to order something. Making sure I get wireless adapters, any cables needed etc. I went for the H500i because of the built in RGB to save money on aesthetic's and the cable management. I might be going overkill with the 1080 since I am going to be using a 144hz 1ms monitor that can only play 1080p which I am fine with but can happily downgrade to upgrade other parts but I would like to keep it for future monitor upgrades etc. Its a freesync monitor and sometimes I have heard stuff about screen tearing with nvidia gpu's but apparently it's fine when freesync is off, any input on that?

Yes, all of those parts are compatible. And yes, the H500i is a nice case, from a company well known for making cases that allow for tidy cable management. As for the monitor, I am running a 1070 with a 1ms 1080P 144Hz monitor, so a 1080 will probably be fine. However, if you want to get the most out of your 1080 or 1080 TI (whichever you decide to go with), and still have a 60+ Hz monitor, I'd recommend either a ~120Hz 1440P monitor, or a 240Hz 1080P monitor, since high refresh rate 4K monitors are LUDICROUSLY priced. As for possible downgrades, an 8600K is great for gaming, even when not overclocked, and a 1080 or 1080 TI is also great for gaming, so we don't need to change those. And yes, you will get the most out of a FreeSync monitor if you have an AMD GPU. If you don't want to think about it too much: just target the refresh rate of your monitor, and don't bother with FreeSync.

2 minutes ago, m0n4rchy said:

Yes, all of those parts are compatible. And yes, the H500i is a nice case, from a company well known for making cases that allow for tidy cable management. As for the monitor, I am running a 1070 with a 1ms 1080P 144Hz monitor, so a 1080 will probably be fine. However, if you want to get the most out of your 1080 or 1080 TI (whichever you decide to go with), and still have a 60+ Hz monitor, I'd recommend either a ~120Hz 1440P monitor, or a 240Hz 1080P monitor, since high refresh rate 4K monitors are LUDICROUSLY priced. As for possible downgrades, an 8600K is great for gaming, even when not overclocked, and a 1080 or 1080 TI is also great for gaming, so we don't need to change those. And yes, you will get the most out of a FreeSync monitor if you have an AMD GPU. If you don't want to think about it too much: just target the refresh rate of your monitor, and don't bother with FreeSync.

Think I will stick with the 144hz 1ms 1080p with the gtx 1080 and upgrade my monitor in the future since I can literally not spend anymore money.

I could downgrade to a 1070 ti and have a lot of spare money to upgrade my monitor etc but I am thinking a 1080 would be better in the long run.

2 minutes ago, kian2k said:

Think I will stick with the 144hz 1ms 1080p with the gtx 1080 and upgrade my monitor in the future since I can literally not spend anymore money.

I could downgrade to a 1070 ti and have a lot of spare money to upgrade my monitor etc but I am thinking a 1080 would be better in the long run.

Depends on how much less a 1070 TI is. Here in the United States, there isn't that large of a price difference between a 1070 TI and a 1080, meaning that unless you're strapped for cash with your current budget, you should just get a 1080.

But that's here.

In the U.K, it could be a very noticeable price drop, for not that much performance lost. If that is the case, get a 1070 TI instead of a 1080. If not, stick with the 1080. The monitor upgrade is up to you.

P.S, a 1070 TI, when overclocked, can match or even beat the performance of a 1080.

50 GBP more for a 1080, which seems worth getting the 1080.

1 minute ago, kian2k said:

50 GBP more for a 1080, which seems worth getting the 1080.

Absolutely. And since you seem happy with all of the other parts in your system, you might as well stick with the 1080.

6 hours ago, kian2k said:

Build something like this....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£278.18 @ PC World Business) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£29.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty H370 Performance ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£119.20 @ SmartTeck.co.uk) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£139.15 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial - BX500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£67.19 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£52.79 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  (£449.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£63.92 @ More Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£74.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1275.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-16 00:14 BST+0100

He can overclock to beat the i7-8700. And he doesn't need a 650W power supply, 550W will do perfectly fine, even with an overclocked 8700K and 1080 TI. Unless he's planning to get into SLI or enthusiast level CPU's (which I highly doubt), his selected PSU is enough.

8 hours ago, kian2k said:

you're better off going with an i7 8700 and B360 board instead of an 8600k with low-end cooler and motherboard. thermal paste isn't needed either. the monitor has displayport and HDMI cables already included. get a PCI-e WiFi adaptor instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£278.18 @ PC World Business) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler  (£19.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360 AORUS Gaming 3 WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£101.99 @ Aria PC) 
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£134.02 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£78.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£52.79 @ Aria PC) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black w/Tempered Glass) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£64.79 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Total: £789.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-16 02:31 BST+0100

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

9 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

you're better off going with an i7 8700 and B360 board instead of an 8600k with low-end cooler and motherboard. thermal paste isn't needed either. the monitor has displayport and HDMI cables already included. get a PCI-e WiFi adaptor instead.

Are you sure it comes with a display cable because I didn't see it state that and I will try. Are my parts compatible and I have seen good reviews on my CPU Cooler, think I should upgrade?