this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

jjtierney02
27 minutes ago, GrandFatMan said:

Well, Yes, especially if someone hasn't seen it before. I'd say less than a week, is recent events. 

there is like a post with 10 pages about this in general discussion

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

So he doesn't know how to assemble a PC. Like majority of the rest of the world. No need to humiliate.

When he call a zip tie as tweezers...............You know he lies on his job resume that he is a tech guy. 

@GrandFatMan posted a link to a twitch clip in another thread of the host of the show dismissing the criticism of the mistakes made...

https://clips.twitch.tv/SassyCovertAnteaterBudStar

Host: "I work for a big publication, basically I made a PC video and some very angry nerds are very angry with how I built a computer, but it still works... Sooo...."
Friend: "Ohh so you're just getting hated on because they're like oohhh if you just plugged it in here it wehrhewjjrjejire [indistinguishable]"

Host: "That's exactly what they're doing. And I mean like everything they've mentioned was corrected after the fact as well. But like it's not my first computer and it still fucking works, and it's a better computer than what most of them have and that might be elitist but it's the truth."

(I strongly suggest watching the video as the level of sass present does not translate to text very well)

*sigh*

At first I felt sorry for the host that he was involved in such an awful production - I assumed he was new to The Verge and just got stuck doing a project he didn't know anything about and that it was his first time building a PC. I've been very critical of the video, but I've tried to keep the criticism aimed at the mistakes made in the video and The Verge production as a whole, rather than the personal attacks on the host. I don't agree with the people who have went out and specifically targeted him personally on Twitter or specifically targeted him in Youtube videos to harass him, and I don't doubt that he has copped a lot of flack for the video... But when he has this sort of attitude and says shit like this it makes it really hard to not just say that this guy is an absolute idiot.

I'm still going to try to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume that the last few days and harassment he has received personally has taken its toll on him and he was just letting out a bit of steam. Regardless, it still makes the Verge and this guy look like a bunch of Asshats if their take-away from this whole situation is that they did nothing wrong and it's just a bunch of angry nerds being angry.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

As much as I laughed at this, we were all basically like that at one point. I wish I'd had LTT when I built my first computer. I made so many bad decisions based on Internet rumors.

it's much worse than that because 

1. he claims to know what his talking about

2. he's sharing that

3. what internet rumor calls zipties, tweezers? or when he just starts to invent names for computer parts? 

4. he's a compendium of rumors

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

As much as I laughed at this, we were all basically like that at one point. I wish I'd had LTT when I built my first computer. I made so many bad decisions based on Internet rumors.

We have. I remember forgetting to connect the 4-pin connector on my first few PC build attempts, but then this was titled as a guide. 

And the really insulting part is that most of these wouldn't have happened through the simple act of 

READING THE MANUAL 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

2. he's sharing that

3. what internet rumor calls zipties, tweezers? or when he just starts to invent names for computer parts? 

Yeah that and I think you have to try to have a build be so terrible these days, with how easy it is to find good build guides which completely walk you through the process.

It is so much worse to the point a newcomer to PC building could end up with broken hardware by taking their guide seriously, IMO he is lucky the PC even booted. And i'm not surprised instead of The Verge taking down the video, putting up another one and apologizing and correcting themselves on their mistakes, they dismiss everyone that criticized the video as a bunch of "angry nerds" that don't know what they're talking about.

Host: "That's exactly what they're doing. And I mean like everything they've mentioned was corrected after the fact as well. But like it's not my first computer and it still fucking works, and it's a better computer than what most of them have and that might be elitist but it's the truth."

You have got to be fucking kidding me. 

Yeah, it works but it doesn't work WELL. Not when you apply thermal paste on top of pre- applied stuff, potentially causing air bubbles which limit its effectiveness. And especially not when RAM is mounted in a way that restricts it to single-channel bandwidth and especially mounting the PSU in a way that blocks the fan. 

Also, "it's a better computer than what most of them have..."

Oh fuck off. Just because you have a better PC than most doesn't mean you are automatically right. Many of the guys who criticized you also have PCs that were beefier but that's besides the point. My point is that you have people from the PC community pointing out errors in how you built the system. 

Man the fuck up and apologize. You're not only doing yourself a favor but that poor PC a favor as well. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

21 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

When he call a zip tie as tweezers...............You know he lies on his job resume that he is a tech guy. 

Or using an army knife screwdriver on a $2,000 PC? Seriously come on if you can spend that much get a $10 tool kit.

16 minutes ago, asus killer said:

2. he's sharing that

I know that, I'm just saying if he wasn't being paid to make a guide (but was a new person here for example) then it would be a big deal.

12 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

We have. I remember forgetting to connect the 4-pin connector on my first few PC build attempts, but then this was titled as a guide. 

And the really insulting part is that most of these wouldn't have happened through the simple act of 

READING THE MANUAL 

You know it wasn't his first time building, because if it was then he would have forgotten to IO shield. xD

21688248_2028526513854093_82680706991734

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

35 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

So he doesn't know how to assemble a PC. Like majority of the rest of the world. No need to humiliate.

I would counterpoint, that if he makes a "tech guide" video that shows he has zero idea of tech, then he's opened himself up to humiliation.  Any humiliation he receives is the result of his own ineptness.

30 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Or using an army knife screwdriver on a $2,000 PC? Seriously come on if you can spend that much get a $10 tool kit.

I especially loved the "anti-static bracelet".  Seriously, where the heck is the static electricity supposed to go?  And how is that rubber piece supposed to absorb static electricity anyway?

killinme.gif.97518a54a134319d7d55b0bcec80ae3a.gif

39 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The majority of the world doesn't get hired to build an expert PC building guide.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

24 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

We all have different definitions of what a "tech guy" is.

For example I would say you aren't a "tech guy" if you don't know how to program. To me that's like saying you're a car enthusiast but you don't know how to drive a car.

Apparently this person is a CS student so chances are he is more of a "tech guy" than a lot of people on here.

Haven't watched the video so I don't know what he did wrong, but he says that he was not allowed to reshoot and did clean up things afterwards, like the thermal paste and reseated the RAM. 

But who knows. I looked through a bit of his history and he seems to mostly write about laptops and smartphones. Maybe his definition of "tech guy" is drooling over the latest consumer electronics. That's what a lot of people seem to define tech enthusiast as these days.

To think that 11 people worked on a sponsored video project and not one knew how to build a computer, or how it ought to look. And that none of them had the nous to take an hour or so to research how to build a pc and even practice the build prior to shooting is laughable. 

As for the mistakes, they weren't all corrected after the fact, and why would you make a video with mistakes in it, if you knew how to build a pc and had done so before.

One thing is that, someone on the production team knew what parts to put in this build and that is the first battle in pc building so did they just throw together this video quickly in order to get cash?

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Haven't watched the video so I don't know what he did wrong

Watch it, it's really, really, really, really bad.

He applies thermal paste to a AIO that already has thermal paste...and he acknowledges that in the video.

1 hour ago, GrandFatMan said:

And the "Yes, We got one" The way he said that in regards to the CPU, made me chuckle. I mean, I got one too! 

well, to be fair there is a 14nm shortage in the server market.........

the Verge did the right thing to un-list the video. or they didnt do the right thing and youtube removed it. hopefully the Verge actually go through the steps to regain some trust. 

also a gaming PC can be built for 350$ new. or you can do even less using a used hd 7850 and a dell optiplex. 

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

For example I would say you aren't a "tech guy" if you don't know how to program. To me that's like saying you're a car enthusiast but you don't know how to drive a car.

That doesn't make any sense.

25 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You know it wasn't his first time building, because if it was then he would have forgotten to IO shield. xD

21688248_2028526513854093_82680706991734

Haha. At least he did that, so that's something. xD

The outrage is because:
a) The Chief Editor of the Verge insulted Tech Youtubers as "not journalists".

b) its a Mainstream Outlet and AFAIK owned by Vox

c) it was a Sponsored Video

d) they didn't even read the Manual of the Motherboard or other Components! Because if they did, many of the things they did could have been prevented

And for this, the Things they did were good because we saw how some companys do their work. And don't do research, even if it is in Front of them...

Besides that, the video was taken down and there is already another Thread about this:

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

31 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Wow, this is still pretty badly written with quite a few errors. Seems like the verge just don't bother to proof read?

At least the original video is now taken down. Honestly, that's all I care about. I would hate to be that guy who just spunked $2000 on his first PC to then follow their guide, rupture the radiator and end up with a completely broken PC.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the Verge did the right thing to un-list the video. or they didnt do the right thing and youtube removed it. hopefully the Verge actually go through the steps to regain some trust. 

Its more probable that either Youtube removed the Video or Capital One called them and told them to do it.

They themselves did not do it because they doubled down on it, with the Stefan (the Guy in front of the Camerea) saying things like

""If PC building fans showed the same concern about excess thermal paste as they did to toxic gaming communities..."

So its more probable that it was removed by Youtube or because Capital one as it was up for a couple of days...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Haven't watched the video so I don't know what he did wrong, but he says that he was not allowed to reshoot and did clean up things afterwards, like the thermal paste and reseated the RAM. 

It really was a rather poor video with poor knowledge of computer parts and workmanship was not good at all, for a video guide to show how to do it to people that do not know how to build a computer I'd give it 2/10 maybe. I rate it hard because it's an instructional video, first time builder rating I'd give it 6/10.

An example of how bad it was would be the installation of the AIO cooler. Not only were no fans put on the RAD in the video he used the long screws specifically for when mounting through fans and could have pierced the RAD, that is extremely bad and could cause many people to ruin their AIOs (plus anything else the liquid gets on if the system is running).

1 hour ago, GrandFatMan said:

Unfortunately, the original video on YouTube from The Verge has since been deleted, (Mainly due to people reporting it for false information as it was labelled as a guide)

It was deleted for not meeting The Verge's editorial standards. However, their editorial standards should apply before the video gets published, not after.

With all due respect to Stefan Etienne, it seemed to be his first build and, while building a PC isn't hard, it's not easy to get it right on the first build. You're gonna make mistakes. You're gonna put the graphics card into the wrong PCIe slot. Your cable management is gonna be shit. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with getting something wrong on the first try, otherwise we wouldn't ever learn anything. I'm sure he'll do better the next time he builds a PC, but... The Verge really shoulda chose someone else for the job. Or maybe just stuck to Apple products.

31 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

They would have had to clean off the thermal paste as they initially forgot to put the fans on the radiator and had to remove it to remount it correctly.
There are images of the PC that were used in the article that I am led to believe are supposedly after the PC was 'fixed', that still show errors such as the CPU cooler missing a mounting screw and the RAM still not in the correct slots.

To see what they did wrong, have a read of the original thread.

Some posts that list some of the mistakes made:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/971926-this-pc-building-guide-that-verge-made-is-unbarable/?do=findComment&comment=11755946

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/971926-this-pc-building-guide-that-verge-made-is-unbarable/?do=findComment&comment=11757255

There was a lot of minor stuff like not knowing the correct terminology that raised a few alarm bells, such as referring to cable ties as "tweezers" early in the video, but there was also some major mistakes made like recommending people screw through the body of the radiator with the long screws (fan mount screws) to mount it to the case, which will almost definitely damage the soft aluminium fins on most radiators and potentially cause a leak. The video was formatted as a "How to" instructional guide video, and pretty much everything that was said and done in the video was wrong.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450