this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

jjtierney02
19 minutes ago, cartdog said:

You try it yourself....search in YouTube a topic related to PC build guide, you won't find The Verge near the top.

Screenshot_20180917-141535.thumb.png.4edf8397d9bb6567841d6b8dcdd6c49c.png

Screenshot_20180917-141723.thumb.png.78971e6bc8ebcb070036da22ec76fb9c.pngScreenshot_20180917-141740.thumb.png.907d55c94d46c15590b86cb9adfb5856.png

Even comes up as a top result when searching Google for "how to build custom PC" in Google. Tested in both normal and incognito mode to ensure its not delivering a result based on my previous search/watch history. (Though it doesn't let me screenshot in incognito)

(Search query: "guide how to build custom gaming PC")

Screenshot_20180917-142607.thumb.png.ade1d85c884bd281aa632ccb7057293f.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

SNIP

Okay fair point there. I searched PC build guide and it wasn't there at all, but obviously different terminologies will give different results. That aside, have you actually watched the video from beginning to end? I have been building gaming PC's for over 15yrs, none of which have failed, so I know a little bit about how it's done.

Having said that I don't see anything wrong with this build guide. Sure the terminology for certain parts isn't accurate, like the I/O shield being called a "brace", but none of what he has described or how to do it is going to kill your PC. This guide is designed for newcomers who don't know what an I/O shield is or what a PCI slot is. It's really pathetic to see people who haven't even watched the video jumping on the bandwagon. Tell me, if you've watched the video tell me what part of it is so fundamentally wrong that it's going to ruin your PC?

A great example of ScienceStudios response, he laughs and says the builder doesn't use the "CPU installer tool" but clearly in the video you can see him using it.

That aside, have you actually watched the video from beginning to end? I h

Yes. My earlier post here is a list of some of the mistakes made throughout the video. Ignore the progress bar at the bottom of the clip in those screenshots, as I must have scrubbed back through the video or replayed it at some point and YouTube is trying to resume from that point.

Having said that I don't see anything wrong with this build guide

Have you even watched the video?

Tell me, if you've watched the video tell me what part of it is so fundamentally wrong that it's going to ruin your PC?

Maybe the part where he advises people to use the fan mount screws to screw through fins of the radiator - damaging the radiator and most likely breaking it (probably why the radiator changes and is replaced by the final finished product). Or maybe where they advise you layer multiple coats of thermal paste which could lead to a bad mount and thermal throttling (and potentially even leak out over the edge and damage the CPU socket) Or how the CPU cooler isn't even screwed down on one side leading to the same issue. Or how the PSU is facing the wrong way blocking the fan causing the PSU to potentially overheat. Plus plenty of other mistakes that should be extremely obvious to someone who claims to have 15 years PC building experience.

This guide is designed for newcomers who don't know what an I/O shield is or what a PCI slot is.

That makes it even more important to provide accurate information.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yes. My earlier post here is a list of some of the mistakes made throughout the video. Ignore the progress bar at the bottom of the clip in those screenshots, as I must have scrubbed back through the video or replayed it at some point and YouTube is trying to resume from that point.

Have you even watched the video?

Maybe the part where he advises people to use the fan mount screws to screw through fins of the radiator - damaging the radiator and most likely breaking it (probably why the radiator changes and is replaced by the final finished product). Or maybe where they advise you layer multiple coats of thermal paste which could lead to a bad mount and thermal throttling (and potentially even leak out over the edge and damage the CPU socket) Or how the CPU cooler isn't even screwed down on one side leading to the same issue. Or how the PSU is facing the wrong way blocking the fan causing the PSU to potentially overheat. Plus plenty of other mistakes that should be extremely obvious to someone who claims to have 15 years PC building experience.

That makes it even more important to provide accurate information.

Yes I have watched the video from beginning to end.

I don't see a different radiator, it's the same Corsair H100 (least that's what it looks like). The layers of thermal paste are not enough to thermal throttle the PC or damage it, no way near enough infact. Thermal paste wont leak into the socket, it's too viscus and there's no room around the chip for it to seep into. Unless he's dumping the entire tube on there then there is no issue, that's proven by the system working. 

He isn't telling you to "mount the PSU in this orientation" or apply "this amount of thermal paste" or "use fan screws to mount your radiator" he isn't doing any of that. You are all just reading that into it, for whatever reason. He isn't detailing the specifics, he's giving a general guide, so he doesn't really have to get into the accuracy's of the terminologies of pc components. Who cares if he said the PSU could short out on the case, sure that's inaccurate but how is following that advice going to destroy your PC? Even mounting a PSU like that, though not ideal, isn't going to overheat it. These components are very efficient, they aren't nuclear reactors.....

A new builder isn't looking or ggoing to see the details like you or me would see, so to point it out as being misinforming to new builders is utterly wrong. If you're a new system builder and you can tell that the cooler isn't mounted properly, then what the heck if the problem? No ones going to watch this video and say "oh, he didn't mount the cooler properly I should do the same". are you kidding me?

On 9/17/2018 at 3:24 PM, cartdog said:

I don't see a different radiator, it's the same Corsair H100 (least that's what it looks like).

Just because it's the same model pictured doesn't mean it's the same unit. Assuming they actually did screw the fan mount screws through the entire radiator and it's not 'just a prank bro' that you suggested earlier, there's a pretty good chance they've damaged the radiator. In most radiators beyond the mount for the shorter radiator mount screw is the radiator fins which are soft metal that can easily be damaged. Even if by chance their radiator design is foolproof with the radiator fins not present under the screw  mount to prevent such a thing from happening, it's not true for the vast majority of radiators and anyone who is at home building a PC and stuck trying to mount a radiator who watches this video may attempt to copy what is shown and suggested in the video and there's a high likely-hood that doing so would result in them damaging their $100+ radiator/AIO.

We know from the video that after he finished assembling the system the radiator was removed and replaced/remounted. Whether or not they remounted the same radiator or a new one is a mystery.

The radiator pictured is a Cosair H100i Pro.

Correction, it is the Corsair H115i Pro

Spoiler

image.png.218892bf666690e0d1fa2fa6f29e4938.png

image.png.cff7029e96694ba11c98b41bd9e565d0.png

image.png.8512b3d2dc0ea0866b52425231cf0a31.png

He isn't telling you to "mount the PSU in this orientation" or apply "this amount of thermal paste" or "use fan screws to mount your radiator" he isn't doing any of that. You are all just reading that into it, for whatever reason. He isn't detailing the specifics, he's giving a general guide, so he doesn't really have to get into the accuracy's of the terminologies of pc components.

Really? So your argument is that he is not instructing people on what to do so it doesn't matter if he is accurate or not, and that he never actually tells people to do any of those things in the video?

"Power supply time... So all you have to do is take the brick and make sure you align it with these insulating pads so the power supply doesn't short circuit and come in to contact with the rest of the system.
So just take it in, slide it in nice and easy until you have a nice fit and then shift it to the back and make sure it's right up against the frame. Now you just take the required screws and tighten and screw in"

"So we're about to apply thermal paste to the CPU. Every CPU cooler actually comes with a bit of thermal paste already neatly applied in a circle around it, but it's usually not enough. It's good essentially PC building practice to have a little bit extra and layer it on top of the CPU."

I'm not sure what you would call it, but those look a lot like he's giving [bad] instructions to me.

A new builder isn't looking or ggoing to see the details like you or me would see, so to point it out as being misinforming to new builders is utterly wrong.

It is absolutely bad information to be giving new builders. Just because someone doesn't know that it is wrong or why it is wrong, doesn't make it any less wrong.

If the advice is intended for people who do not understand how to assemble a PC, which is the audience you believe the video is targeted at, then that actually makes it even more important to ensure the information you are providing is correct, as those people wouldn't know any better and may just follow the bad advice given in the videos and potentially damage their system as a result.

I'm assuming that you aren't as knowledgeable as you seem to think you are, which is why I have taken the time to try and explain and show what he is doing wrong and how it could potentially damage a persons PC if they were to follow the instructions given in the video. Just because this person in the video may have been lucky and may have been able to get away without any catastrophic failures when building the PC (though I suspect that radiator was replaced off camera), does not mean that it is good advice to be giving to others - especially not to people who do not understand what they are doing or know any better.

If you don't understand why something he says or does is considered to be bad advice, that's okay. There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying "Hey guys, just watched this video and I saw people say he did XYZ wrong... I don't understand what is wrong about the way it was done, can someone please explain it to me?".

Just ask the question as to why it was wrong and I'm sure anyone on this forum will be more than happy to help explain why what he is doing is wrong.

Edited by Spotty

How on earth has any commentary on this video resulted in an argument about whether or not it should be criticised in the manner by which it has.

It's one of the worst attempts at a how to I have ever seen, from a news outlet that has at least some public credibility. It's so bad, and inaccurate, that its actually borderline dangerous in parts. At the very least it runs the risk of huge financial damage to anyone who thinks it's a legitimately well researched piece and follows it's advice.

It deserves every bit of the ridicule and criticism it receives, so can we just ignore anyone defending it and carry on tearing it to shreds until it is finally taken down.

Hi, 

As a representative of Verge magazine we obviously look at high trending videos, we saw Linus was trending and thought "we wanted a piece of that". Obviously a good video would've been forgotten about but a bad one, well, that would've done the cycle around all the communities and we will be able to put out a second video on how terrible the pc community is, because it's your fault not ours. 

Look out for our next video where we increase our cpu speed by delliding and water cooling our hard drive. 

5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

not just Reddit anymore! lol

What seems to be the problem with The Verge video? I can’t watch it yet because I’m maxing out my data cap and the internet guy isn’t coming yet. All I can see is that they’ve turn off comments and thumbs up/down. Did he put the the RAM sticks onto the M.2 slots? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

What seems to be the problem with The Verge video? I can’t watch it yet because I’m maxing out my data cap and the internet guy isn’t coming yet. All I can see is that they’ve turn off comments and thumbs up/down. Did he put the the RAM sticks onto the M.2 slots? 

I think on the second page is a list of mistakes for a how to video, clearly they are just trying to make it controversial for hits, surprised no one has picked up on that. 

Edit: Anyone got a build list for that? 

Edited by rentaspoon

On 15.9.2018 at 3:22 PM, wkdpaul said:

I got it almost to 7 minutes and I just can't ... There are so many mistakes, wrong and nonsensical statements that I have to stop. It just doesn't make sense, the video as a whole doesn't make sense : how could they have gone through all this without asking an "expert" or at the very least, proof check the script? And none of that was flagged during editing or reviewing before it went live???

And that is one of the bigger Mainstream Outlets...

That's why Ratings and Comments got disabled, because its so bad and people told them they were wrong. 

Anyway, there are a ton of responses to this, they are way more better than this:

Especially the second guy, since he is a LoL Player...

And did anyone Mention Leages of Legends?

This just hurts their brand as a whole, how am I supposed to trust anything they post about stuff I'm not familiar with?

You do not.

If they don't even get something right where you litereally need like 15min research - at worst - 

how can you trust them on something that really needs research?

And the worst part is that that is a sponsored Video!

And the Logo of the Sponsor is in the video everytime. 

The biggest Problem is that this is an epic level messup and people need to be held accountable - wich probably won't be happening at all...

And that is a big Media Company. If that happens with the Verge, how bad is it elsewhere?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 15.9.2018 at 11:27 PM, willmc said:

I have a feeling he probably googled a bunch of stuff and had no time to really research the topic.

I doubt he did that...

I'd say he didn't even read the Manual. Because that is what the Manuals are for. 

I opened the Manual of my MSI B450I and literally the first page showss you all the components and names them.

And on every Page there is this 2D Barcode Picture Thingy with youtu.be adress...

While I agree that there are many mistakes made, the stuff is not so hard to do, if you start by reading the manual and really researching it.

16 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

You can check @pewpewboom and @Spotty replies to see some of the mistakes/misinformation ;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/971926-this-pc-building-guide-that-verge-made-is-unbarable/?do=findComment&comment=11755946

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/971926-this-pc-building-guide-that-verge-made-is-unbarable/?do=findComment&comment=11757255

The list is long honestly, and I have to agree with the people that say that criticizing the cable management isn't really the important thing here. While it makes the build ugly, it's not misinformation like the rest of the video.

There's also the fact that the guy you see in the video (journalist) and the producer have since doubled down, the producer going as far as criticizing/patronizing other YT channels ;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/971926-this-pc-building-guide-that-verge-made-is-unbarable/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-11759078

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

9 hours ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Why am I tempted to make a follow-up guide to this video? Why do I want to correct this so badly?! xD 

Because you get money out of it, especially with all the Super Chats, if you do it live? :P

And you can bash one of the Mainstream Media Outlets.

And because Autism...

Nicht? :-)

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

The biggest problem is that it is a channel with more than 2 million subscribers releasing a guide video that is full of bad advice that could actually damage people's hardware if they followed the advice given in the video. Lots of new builders who are unsure about how to build a computer or are in the process of building one and stuck on how to install a particular item will search YouTube for videos with phrases such as "build computer guide".

That is not the biggest issue.

The biggest one will probably be that the Verge's Video might be promoted by youtube because of the Partnership they might (or might not) have...

So new builders who might search for it might get this video recommended.

That they have a certain responsible to check the things they do is another point...

But they didn't...

And we are talking about a Team of people here, not (just) a single Person!!

But that only makes it worse...

There is a whole team of people behind it, the guy who did it, the Editor and probably someone who has to release the video and take the responsibility...

If one of those would have taken a look at a normal Build video from @here or so, this wouldn't have happened...

21 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And we are talking about a Team of people here, not (just) a single Person!!

But that only makes it worse...

There is a whole team of people behind it, the guy who did it, the Editor and probably someone who has to release the video and take the responsibility...

Yeah. I actually watched the credits at the end of the video and there were quite a few people credited as being involved in the project.

Host
Producer
Director
Supervising Director
Executive Producer
General Manager
Network Manager
Production Manager
Design Director
Motion Graphics
Audio

So it's not as if people are being mean to some random person who is just trying to build a PC for the first time and is making a few rookie mistakes.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

You do not.

If they don't even get something right where you litereally need like 15min research - at worst - 

how can you trust them on something that really needs research?

And the worst part is that that is a sponsored Video!

And the Logo of the Sponsor is in the video everytime. 

Basically, The Verge are the IGN of tech media.

the whole video looks to me like one of my college essays when i only started researching the night before. he clearly is not into tech they just picked a sympathic face for the camera and now the entire internet is ripping this dude to shreds. 

are most of his comments false? sure - but i think thats more the channels fault than his.

its always better to just ask somebody who knows this shit instead of grabbing half-truths off the internet.

i think the main reason many people and myself are a bit enraged by the video is because they are spreading misinformation and are therefore the reason why i still have to have discussions about how the human eye cant see more than 24 fps anyway and how someone tv has 2000hz and how theres a invisible guy in the sky peeping on me judginly :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

5 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

and how theres a invisible guy in the sky peeping on me judginly :D

xD

8 hours ago, cartdog said:

It's completely fine for people to be held accountable, but it's the MANNER in which a person goes about such criticism. Influential content creators not only have a responsibility to address issues they see but do so in a constructive manner. Instead of bashing on The Verge how about constructively giving advice on an alternative...as opposed to scoffing and mocking them. Hows that going help?

Moreover how is it "self-righteous" to have an opinion? You see in your eyes its okay for these YouTubers to mock and make fun of another channel, irrespective of that channels content accuracy, but when they are called out in the approach they take for their criticism that somehow seems unwarranted to you. That perhaps they too shouldn't be held to a "standard" as you so pointedly put it. I think you're a bit two-faced my friend, either that of you've got too much time on your hands and don't really think before you speak (or type) as is the case.

The verge majorly fucked up with that video, they should take action and say something about it (though doubtful, seeing how they turned off all interaction to things related to that video. they are in panic mode right now.)

in the same way, all the YouTubers that took the insulting and ridiculizing way for that video with zero constructive criticism also fucked up majorly, I think the only one that took a decent stand at all of this was Paul's Hardware. a lot of tech youtubers went into toxic mode just encouraging that bro culture amongst their followers. I was pointing a lot of this in youtube and while some people were participating the in discussion you could see a lot of blind follower from the figureheads commenting on the video just blindly agreeing with them no matter what they say, if the verge has the responsibility to do their content right and act professionally while creating their content so does all of the YouTubers that took personal offense when it was said they were not real journalist.

a lot of this tech youtube "journalist" (yes I really quoted that.) have a responsibility to act humanely especially when they have so huge fan base that looks up to them for how to do things and behave, there is no excuse to act how some of them did.

to me, it looks like the verge fucked this up and there was a lot of people personally offended at the journalist comment Phil Esposito made and just decided to act like aholes and just attack back.

this also applies to some of the fans that went haywire and start insulting and attacking via comments (there is a mix thereof the typical internet toxicity and just people following examples from their fav tubers.) 

I thought about this Verge video last night and I think I appreciate Linus’ approach of saying: “if you need any help building a PC I’ll gladly lend a hand”. Linus Speechcraft 100 LMAO. 

Because as funny as other Tech YouTubers may be, they come off as elitists by mocking the poor guy and criticizing the Verge. It really gives the public a bad impression of the online PC gaming community. 

When someone is struggling, lend them a hand and please don’t mock them. We’ve all been there, clueless. 

Further, a collaboration between the Verge and Linus Tech Tips would be beneficial for both parties involved. 

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Because as funny as other Tech YouTubers may be, they come off as elitists by mocking the poor guy and criticizing the Verge. It really gives the public a bad impression of the online PC gaming community. 

When someone is struggling, lend them a hand and please don’t mock them. We’ve all been there, clueless. 

I understand what you're saying, and I do agree to an extent - but at the same time we're talking about a 'respected' tech-based media outlet producing a video with 11 Verge employees credited as working on the project and this is the quality of what they have produced. It's not the same as if this was the Average Joe building their first PC; being unsure about what to do and making understandable mistakes as I'm sure many of us did when we were new (My first PC build I forgot to plug in the CPU power cable and wondered why it wouldn't boot).

The Verge have the ability to pull the video down; which is what they should have done when they realised how inaccurate it was, and then offer a retraction - As journalists are expected to do when they publish misinformation. Instead they just disabled comments and likes/dislikes on the video and left it up. (Possibly due to sponsor contracts/requirements since the video was sponsored by an advertiser? Though if I was their sponsor I'd want my money back on this one)

When something is this ridiculous, you're allowed to ridicule it.

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I thought about this Verge video last night and I think I appreciate Linus’ approach of saying: “if you need any help building a PC I’ll gladly lend a hand”. Linus Speechcraft 100 LMAO. 

For those that aren't on Twitter and might have missed LTTs response, here it is:

@LinusTech Any update on this offer of help that you can share? Any contact from them about doing a follow up yet, are they interested?

If they do accept to do a collab with LTT, would love it if you could attempt to convince them to remove/unlist the existing video if possible. At the very least suggest to add annotation to the video that runs for the full length of the video in large, bold font that warns users not to follow the advice given in the video and to check out the follow up video instead.
As per this post you can see it's currently appearing high for search queries relating to PC building guides (tested in incognito mode as well), and with likes/dislikes and comments on the video disabled, I'm genuinely concerned that someone who doesn't know better may damage their PC by following poor advice given in the video.

Edit: video has since been removed

Spoiler

Ha :D

Edited by Spotty