this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

jjtierney02

They changed the PC they added fans to the rad here is the finished product without the tempered glass 11/10 cable managment - the verge

jbareham_180831_2838_0033.jpg

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

PNY XLR-8 EPIC-X DDR4-3200 CL16 32GB

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

SAMSUNG 850 EVO, 2xSEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 1TB,A2000 1TB

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

Enermax Revolution DF 650W

MONITOR

MSI MAG272,LG 22MP68BQ,DELL D2015H

PERIPHIRALS

Ducky One 2 (HORIZON) || Glorious Model O- Pink || G305 || Razer Nari Essential || HyperX Cloud II

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

What the ...

How the ...

This has got to be a joke, right?  Either that or I'm currently having one of these really weird dreams again.

No you're not.

The whole thing just seems like a shot in the dark for content. They don't pull the video now because everyone is linking back to it so they can show their friends and validate how terrible it is. At the end of the day I'm sure that this works positively for their YouTube statistics, despite what its doing to their credibility.

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

They can't be embarrassed if they don't know what they should be embarrassed about. They might not know that poor cable management is something to be ashamed of. 

Cable management doesn’t matter at all though. Especially in a large case like this one. 

You can criticize the mistakes in the video all day long, but the guy built a functioning PC. 

Just now, kokakolia said:

Cable management doesn’t matter at all though. Especially in a large case like this one. 

You can criticize the mistakes in the video all day long, but the guy built a functioning PC. 

If you get a case that's that focused on aesthetics, you owe it to yourself to spend more than 0 seconds on cable management. 

Same as if they were to leave out one of the AiO's thumb screws. It looks ridiculous, and it's something to be ashamed of. Oh wait...

It's fully possible to build a functioning PC, and yet have lots of stuff to be ashamed of. 

:)

they've disabled both comments and downvotes

maximum cringe

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I have saved the video in case The Verge choose to take it down - let me know if anyone here would like to see it if that does happen.

18 minutes ago, The Lavian said:

I have saved the video in case The Verge choose to take it down - let me know if anyone here would like to see it if that does happen.

I think it's only a matter of time before it's pulled down.

5 hours ago, akio123008 said:

I just can't get my head around how on earth this made it trough the entire bloody production process without anybody noticing all of those terrible mistakes. Due to this, the following theory has started to form in my mind: Perhaps many more terrible mistakes were made which they have corrected/edited out in the video, the ones that are in the final video could actually be ones that the editors decided were "acceptable", and therefore probably not even the most terrible ones. The editors must have been like "ok so we've managed to fix most of it, hopefully this will do just fine".

This is most likely what happened, had they edited out all the mistakes they wouldn't have had any content left to use.

I'm morbidly curious about what they did cut out.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

If you get a case that's that focused on aesthetics, you owe it to yourself to spend more than 0 seconds on cable management. 

Same as if they were to leave out one of the AiO's thumb screws. It looks ridiculous, and it's something to be ashamed of. Oh wait...

It's fully possible to build a functioning PC, and yet have lots of stuff to be ashamed of. 

Yes. My computer is a rats nest but I couldn’t care less because I have no side window. I made the grave mistake of buying a non-modular PSU so the inside of my case is mostly Molex pins. Because EVGA thinks that everyone needs 12+ Molex pins in 2018. I built my PC just like this idiot, and I couldn’t be happier. 

20 hours ago, Phentos said:

Also am I alone in having noticed that during their fancy little animations at the beginning the PCIe slot fingers on the graphics card were in the wrong area?

No they weren't, they just used a diagram for an AGP 8x card :P

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I've watched this video 83 times.

It is my favorite video and I applied for a Capital One credit card.

People are so predictable. All these YouTubers and others crawling down The Verges throat because of their PC build guide. What if they made the video purely to troll and see the reaction of other content creators in the industry? The reaction to this build guide really shows how toxic and childish some YouTubers and others are, it's really pathetic.

If it was say a non-influential YouTuber who made this video and all the big YouTubers started laughing at his build guide, they'd be called out as total d***s. But because The Verge is a somewhat influential channel its okay to make fun of the guide. I don't even know who The Verge are but I'm purely basing my opinions on comments here and from others such as ScienceStudio

2 minutes ago, cartdog said:

People are so predictable. All these YouTubers and others crawling down The Verges throat because of their PC build guide. What if they made the video purely to troll and see the reaction of other content creators in the industry? The reaction to this build guide really shows how toxic and childish some YouTubers and others are, it's really pathetic.

And I assume Tomshardware did the same? And one of Verge's writers' tweets about how tech YouTubers aren't journalists was also just to troll? And all of the videos on the Vox YouTube channel are also all to troll?

:)

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

And I assume Tomshardware did the same? And one of Verge's writers' tweets about how tech YouTubers aren't journalists was also just to troll? And all of the videos on the Vox YouTube channel are also all to troll?

At this point whether it was troll or not is irrelevant. It's still shown up some content creators as nothing more then glorified system builders full of spite, jealousy and childish antics. I would be really surprised if Linus did such a video making fun of  this build guide, I think he's well above that.

26 minutes ago, cartdog said:

If it was say a non-influential YouTuber who made this video and all the big YouTubers started laughing at his build guide, they'd be called out as total d***s. But because The Verge is a somewhat influential channel its okay to make fun of the guide. I don't even know who The Verge are but I'm purely basing my opinions on comments here and from others such as ScienceStudio

14 minutes ago, cartdog said:

At this point whether it was troll or not is irrelevant. It's still shown up some content creators as nothing more then glorified system builders full of spite, jealousy and childish antics. I would be really surprised if Linus did such a video making fun of  this build guide, I think he's well above that.

The problem with your theory that The Verge made this video to trap other tech channels in to responding to it and saying "you guys are stupid and don't know what you're doing" in order to prove that tech tubers are dicks, is that act in itself is a dick move by The Verge.

The biggest problem is that it is a channel with more than 2 million subscribers releasing a guide video that is full of bad advice that could actually damage people's hardware if they followed the advice given in the video. Lots of new builders who are unsure about how to build a computer or are in the process of building one and stuck on how to install a particular item will search YouTube for videos with phrases such as "build computer guide". They'll stumble upon The Verges video and recognise the channel with more than 2mill subscribers as being The Verge media outlet, supposedly a trusted source of information, and they will trust the bad abvice given in the video because they just don't know any better.

The Verge has disabled comments and dislikes on the video so an unknowing viewer can't see the thousands of people who are warning that the information is incorrect.

It's bad enough to think that The Verge didn't know what they were doing and just made a bad video due to lack of research and knowledge...

Your suggestion is that The Verge intentionally released a misleading and irresponsibly dangerous guide video to its 2mill+ subscribers, just in an attempt to troll a dozen or so YouTube content creators. If you actually believe that was The Verge's intention, how can you call others "full of spite, jealousy, and childish antics" while defending The Verge?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, cartdog said:

The Verge is a somewhat influential channel

I quoted the part of your self righteous diatribe that seemed to go right over your head when you typed it.

Sorry if that was spiteful of me. 9_9

I guess, when you really think about it though... Nobody should be held to any kind of a standard. People should just be able to promote whatever position or product they like and never have be held to account or asked to validate their claims or expertise. Yes that would be much better, and then people wouldn't have to feel bad.

The end.

A CPU installation tool...

Such things exist? What does it even do? Have a bigger yellow triangle than the one on the CPU itself?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

I doubt he is going to computer help forums to ask why his CPU temperature is so high or RAM errors. This guy Twitter bio: Tech journalist @ The Verge. Comp sci student, photographer, and gentleman. E: stefan@theverge.com / 21. How the fuck a Computer Science student don't know the difference between tweezers and zip ties. Let's alone an anti static wrist strap and a rubber wrist band.  

58 minutes ago, Ed.Venture said:

I quoted the part of your self righteous diatribe that seemed to go right over your head when you typed it.

Sorry if that was spiteful of me. 9_9

I guess, when you really think about it though... Nobody should be held to any kind of a standard. People should just be able to promote whatever position or product they like and never have be held to account or asked to validate their claims or expertise. Yes that would be much better, and then people wouldn't have to feel bad.

The end.

It's completely fine for people to be held accountable, but it's the MANNER in which a person goes about such criticism. Influential content creators not only have a responsibility to address issues they see but do so in a constructive manner. Instead of bashing on The Verge how about constructively giving advice on an alternative...as opposed to scoffing and mocking them. Hows that going help?

Moreover how is it "self-righteous" to have an opinion? You see in your eyes its okay for these YouTubers to mock and make fun of another channel, irrespective of that channels content accuracy, but when they are called out in the approach they take for their criticism that somehow seems unwarranted to you. That perhaps they too shouldn't be held to a "standard" as you so pointedly put it. I think you're a bit two-faced my friend, either that of you've got too much time on your hands and don't really think before you speak (or type) as is the case.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

The problem with your theory that The Verge made this video to trap other tech channels in to responding to it and saying "you guys are stupid and don't know what you're doing" in order to prove that tech tubers are dicks, is that act in itself is a dick move by The Verge.

The biggest problem is that it is a channel with more than 2 million subscribers releasing a guide video that is full of bad advice that could actually damage people's hardware if they followed the advice given in the video. Lots of new builders who are unsure about how to build a computer or are in the process of building one and stuck on how to install a particular item will search YouTube for videos with phrases such as "build computer guide". They'll stumble upon The Verges video and recognise the channel with more than 2mill subscribers as being The Verge media outlet, supposedly a trusted source of information, and they will trust the bad abvice given in the video because they just don't know any better.

The Verge has disabled comments and dislikes on the video so an unknowing viewer can't see the thousands of people who are warning that the information is incorrect.

It's bad enough to think that The Verge didn't know what they were doing and just made a bad video due to lack of research and knowledge...

Your suggestion is that The Verge intentionally released a misleading and irresponsibly dangerous guide video to its 2mill+ subscribers, just in an attempt to troll a dozen or so YouTube content creators. If you actually believe that was The Verge's intention, how can you call others "full of spite, jealousy, and childish antics" while defending The Verge?

There's a million guides on YouTube that have a far higher viewer record and status then that of The Verges video, so any person coming to YouTube for a PC build guide isn't going to easily find The Verges guide as they might say LinusTechTips or Bitwit for example. You try it yourself....search in YouTube a topic related to PC build guide, you won't find The Verge near the top.

My OP was just a comment, you seem to think that it's a final comment set in stone, it's just a fleeting thought. If you're going to however take my comment as gospel then yes, there are some very big YouTubers who pull pranks on their fans and have become quite popular as a result of those videos, McJuggerNuggets is one that comes to mind.