this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

jjtierney02
27 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Wait, you actually needed someone to specify that?  I thought you were just being intentionally obtuse.  And no, grey keys are not an option.  They may work, but that doesn't make them legitimate.  And as @Stefan Payne pointed out, you can't be sure they won't be deactivated.

Also, Linux has always been viable, it's just a question of whether you want to invest the time and effort into getting a lot of games working that don't have native support for it.  Now, I don't run it personally - because I don't want to deal with that - but it's still viable for those who don't mind.

No i knew those reasons very well.

Linux is becoming very viable as Wine distros are now cabable to run a wide range of games(like really wide)

Also working woth retail pricing can be difficult, but if yiu live in a city you can visit stores and get good prices almost regardless. 

Also 500$ prebuilds can be a mixed bag

On 9/15/2018 at 6:26 PM, IrishDunner said:

So glad I didn't watch this and just got drunk and built my first machine a few weeks back 

Probably did a better job too ;)

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

People are still commenting on the video!? 

BTW, if you want to struggle more definitely use a tiny army knife as a screwdriver. That’s just absurd. It’s like cutting a watermelon with a steak knife. 

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

We all have different definitions of what a "tech guy" is.

For example I would say you aren't a "tech guy" if you don't know how to program. To me that's like saying you're a car enthusiast but you don't know how to drive a car.

Apparently this person is a CS student so chances are he is more of a "tech guy" than a lot of people on here.

Haven't watched the video so I don't know what he did wrong, but he says that he was not allowed to reshoot and did clean up things afterwards, like the thermal paste and reseated the RAM. 

But who knows. I looked through a bit of his history and he seems to mostly write about laptops and smartphones. Maybe his definition of "tech guy" is drooling over the latest consumer electronics. That's what a lot of people seem to define tech enthusiast as these days.

Where did he say that? I don't see nowhere on Twitter ( skimming ) that he was not allowed to reshoot the video. He blocked a lot of people on Twitter that try to correct his mistakes in the video. I rather buy an Alienware computer or HP computer than watch Stefstefan Etienne build a computer. He shouldn't be on the tech field if he doesn't know what zip tie and tweezers look like. 

38 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Also 500$ prebuilds can be a mixed bag

We don't do "prebuilds" (well, we keep a few built up for those who just want one ready to go), we do custom builds.

40 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

No i knew those reasons very well.

In other words, you were being intentionally obtuse.  Got it.

This was a pretty good parody video idk if anyone has posted it yet:

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

The response by Stefan alongside most of The Verge's editorial team really hits the nail on the head on why I don't read or follow portals like Vox Media. 

I can't understand why there was a need to deflect to racism/misogyny/sexism on a topic where none of those things are involved. Sure, maybe you can do that on whatever controversy President Trump is going to stir but not when it comes to computer hardware. 

Plain and simple, the guy made numerous errors when building that PC (things that someone who has been building PCs for a while as he claimed should have known) and many have called out on it. Sure, maybe there were some asshats who made fun of his skin color but I guarantee you that 99% of the response was pointing out what he did wrong. 

His response afterwards related to toxicity in gaming (even though it was more related to PC hardware) along with the dismissal of legitimate criticism because "I have a better computer than most of you and it still fucking works" just reeks of absolute stubbornness. 

Dude, you built a computer wrong. Many of us are pointing that out so that you're aware and then able to fix and potentially re-upload. Nothing about it was racist or misogynistic in any way, shape or form. Just man the fuck up and grow some thicker skin because right now, many of the folks at The Verge and most of Vox Media seem to have skin thinner than Apple's ambition of thinness. 

And it doesn't matter that "it still fucking works". That's just bad practice for building PCs. Yeah it works but it doesn't work nearly as well as it should. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

[...]it contains some minor factual errors[...]

Own up to your mistake. There was a lot of misinformation.  Don't try and downplay it.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

11 minutes ago, ImplosiveNUTech said:

people are hailing the video in the comments on their site

please end me

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/13/17828092/gaming-pc-build-custom-how-to-asus-intel-geforce-cost

Probably haven't built a PC before?

To be frank, a lot of their readers aren't exactly technologically savvy, so that's not too surprising, though the video also lacks basic common sense 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:00 PM, tikker said:

Wish I could've seen those. Comments are disabled now :P 

On a side note, I didn't know we're getting CPU installation tools for Intel CPUs now as well.

Isn't their like a time machine for web sites?  I mean a historical snapshot of YouTube when this video was first posted?

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

I just wonder if someone got in contact with Capital One the sponsors of the video, as they could be culpable in a class action lawsuit.

Im sure a sponsor could ask for a video to be pulled on the fact it would be associated to such a bad product.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

7 hours ago, JuNex03 said:

can I throw in some of those "games journalists" in the list as well? Jesus Christ, it's like they can't own up to mistakes.

This guy would've been in the clear if:

1.) he admitted he's not a pro

2.) told his viewers that it was going to be a learning thing

3.) just own up

4.) it wouldn't necessarily need to be after they posted the video, they could've done it at the start of the video like a disclaimer or something.

5.) If the video had addressed, at the end, the mistakes he made and the correct fixes for those mistakes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

11 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

So you are against saving money. I get it now. 

You can run win 10 unactivated all you want.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YyW49J

Here, run activated Windows from a key from kinguin from day one.

Specify 1 reason not to go this route?

Running Windows not activated hence you did not purchase it is illegal. "Grey licenses" as commonly put are stolen licenses, usually MAK keys which are also illegal to sell.

If anyone wants a free Windows license use your education email address and get one legally from Microsoft through the Microsoft Imagine program.

43 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Anyone re-uploaded the original?

why that would give you a horrible like to dislike ratio.

This is sad I've seen 5 year olds build better PCs, but that may be because they actual had help from someone who knew what they were doing.  

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

This was a pretty good parody video idk if anyone has posted it yet:

LEGO Racers music anyone?? Throwback...

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

why that would give you a horrible like to dislike ratio.

This is sad I've seen 5 year olds build better PCs, but that may be because they actual had help from someone who knew what they were doing.  

Wanted to show the original to someone out of the loop.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 15/09/2018 at 2:22 PM, wkdpaul said:

I got it almost to 7 minutes and I just can't ... There are so many mistakes, wrong and nonsensical statements that I have to stop. It just doesn't make sense, the video as a whole doesn't make sense : how could they have gone through all this without asking an "expert" or at the very least, proof check the script? And none of that was flagged during editing or reviewing before it went live???

It's not like it's anything complex! This just hurts their brand as a whole, how am I supposed to trust anything they post about stuff I'm not familiar with? Man, it's too early in the day and in my weekend for this, I'm gonna need another coffee before I do anything else...

EDIT ; HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GITUd0C.jpg

It's like them telling you how to "fill up your car with oil" then saying "just throw the cap, you don't need it", then not putting oil in the water, that would be bad, but putting oil in the petrol tank. xD

This has got to be a troll... or totally disconnected with reality. Either way, I feel sorry for the person. I also envy them. I sure wish I had the naivety to get both paid to do absolute the worse work all day long AND turn around with both me and my boss thinking it's fantastic.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SassyCovertAnteaterBudStar

8 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The response by Stefan alongside most of The Verge's editorial team really hits the nail on the head on why I don't read or follow portals like Vox Media. 

I can't understand why there was a need to deflect to racism/misogyny/sexism on a topic where none of those things are involved. Sure, maybe you can do that on whatever controversy President Trump is going to stir but not when it comes to computer hardware. 

Plain and simple, the guy made numerous errors when building that PC (things that someone who has been building PCs for a while as he claimed should have known) and many have called out on it. Sure, maybe there were some asshats who made fun of his skin color but I guarantee you that 99% of the response was pointing out what he did wrong. 

His response afterwards related to toxicity in gaming (even though it was more related to PC hardware) along with the dismissal of legitimate criticism because "I have a better computer than most of you and it still fucking works" just reeks of absolute stubbornness. 

Dude, you built a computer wrong. Many of us are pointing that out so that you're aware and then able to fix and potentially re-upload. Nothing about it was racist or misogynistic in any way, shape or form. Just man the fuck up and grow some thicker skin because right now, many of the folks at The Verge and most of Vox Media seem to have skin thinner than Apple's ambition of thinness. 

And it doesn't matter that "it still fucking works". That's just bad practice for building PCs. Yeah it works but it doesn't work nearly as well as it should. 

Yep, once you realize they were founded as propaganda outlets, it makes more sense

Listen to the founders give a presentation saying so to microsoft an eternity ago

9 hours ago, DaPhuc said:

Where did he say that? I don't see nowhere on Twitter ( skimming ) that he was not allowed to reshoot the video. He blocked a lot of people on Twitter that try to correct his mistakes in the video. I rather buy an Alienware computer or HP computer than watch Stefstefan Etienne build a computer. He shouldn't be on the tech field if he doesn't know what zip tie and tweezers look like. 

Yea especially since he tried to claim it wasn't his first pc, there was no excuse, 1 hours top of youtube video from linus/pauls/jayz on this exact topic and he wouldn't have made half the mistakes he made, and he should have done this research during his earlier builds meaning he couldn't complain about time pressure.  These just aren't mistakes he should have had to fix if he had done even the the minimum due diligence..  Compound this with his editor and boss also being this dumb, and its just a disturbing look into the dysfunction in that organization.  I mean seriously, even the sponsorship integration was botched, it wasn't related in any way and I misremembered which bank it was in my earlier comment because why would I remember.

Spent $2000, doesn't have a damn Titan or Ti. 

Spent $2000, didn't do custom water cooling. 

Spent $2000, didn't get 32GB of RAM. 

$pent S2000, didn't get a bottle of JD Honey to keep himself company through this shit-storm. 

Spent $2000, didn't get a good sponsor for the video. Didn't even make an attempt to integrate the sponsor. "Hey! Capital One could support your PC build with 0% APR for 24 months if you apply at the link below!"

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers