Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jjtierney02

this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

20 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

I don't get it really, why make a video targeted to pc users/builders/potential builders, then get angry when they found out it's all wrong?

I mean he could've cost someone 2 grand for this.

Look it's even missing a screw!

image.png.5f5118b52807c52cab67efc728ac7d83.png

the extra screw is hidden behind a pay wall, you have to pay extra to access the extra screw and cable management. This is EA's PC build guide.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:24 AM, cartdog said:

The layers of thermal paste are not enough to thermal throttle the PC or damage it, no way near enough infact.

I've actually tested sandwiching pre-applied paste with aftermarket and, in my tests, I found a significant thermal impact that could be enough to cause throttling. My guess is that the stock paste doesn't fully heat up enough to liquefy and thus is insulating the block from the IHS.

The Potato Box:

-i7-8700k @5.3Ghz and 1.36v

EVGA K|NGP|N 2080Ti

64gb 3200 CL15 RAM-

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

the following image is just for you... :D

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.822b66d9a25900863cca09d5244d4852.png

Which looks as posed as this photo...

Hide contents

image.png.8ee04c1e149db0d608444a71ef2e8ca6.png

Yes, especially since those manuals are usually printed in something like 8point - wich is rather hard to read from a mile away...

Though I haven't had a Corsair Case, only a couple of PSU...

And since Paper is expensive, you don't want to print it in 10 or 12

Anyway, I sent the latter pic to my mother and asked her what she thinks about that. And she immediately saw that she was holding it wrong™ (and gettin her fingers burned)

But the Manual of the Case isn't even the Important one, the Important one is the Motherboard...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the extra screw is hidden behind a pay wall, you have to pay extra to access the extra screw and cable management. This is EA's PC build guide.

Ha! Even with all the money he couldn't buy a standard magnetic screw driver and instead used a swiss army knife

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

An example of how bad it was would be the installation of the AIO cooler. Not only were no fans put on the RAD in the video he used the long screws specifically for when mounting through fans and could have pierced the RAD, that is extremely bad and could cause many people to ruin their AIOs (plus anything else the liquid gets on if the system is running).

That's not the best part (only the most damaging).

Its between the Victorinox Knife, the tweezers and especially claiming that the PSU short circuits mwhen its not on the rubber things inside the Case.

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

It was deleted for not meeting The Verge's editorial standards. However, their editorial standards should apply before the video gets published, not after.

No, look at the Tim Pool Video about it.
It was up for four days (or more), they got in a fight with Gamernexus.

They did disable their comments after some Tech Youtubers (Jays2cent for example) posted under their Video, they disabled also Likes/Dislikes.

And people told them that the Video was shit - and they did NOT take it down.

When you click on the Link of the first page in the other Thread, it says there was an error - not that the Video was removed by the User...

So there are two possibilitys:
a) the video got (mass) flagged by Users watching it for misleading and wrong content and Youtube removed it

b) Capital One got involved and removed it.

I really doubt it that "the Verge" themselves did remove it. 

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

With all due respect to Stefan Etienne, it seemed to be his first build and, while building a PC isn't hard, it's not easy to get it right on the first build. You're gonna make mistakes. You're gonna put the graphics card into the wrong PCIe slot. Your cable management is gonna be shit. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with getting something wrong on the first try, otherwise we wouldn't ever learn anything. I'm sure he'll do better the next time he builds a PC, but... The Verge really shoulda chose someone else for the job. Or maybe just stuck to Apple products.

No, it gets worse.

R T F M!

That is the first thing you do when you have no idea what you are doing. Look in the Manual and see if there is something to help you. 

I've Linked to the Board, wich is IIRC this:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X370-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Manual/

Downloaded the Manual and took a look at it. Its Page 2-3 where the Instruction how to build it starts.

Its not as awesome as my MSI B450I but still somewhat OK.

If he did that, he'd call the I/O Shield "Q-Shield" and not the other Thing he did. So that Proves that they didn't even read the Manual.

And thus he deserves NO defending and all the Flak he got, because all he needed to "research" how to do it right, already came with the components themselves. Though you might want to flame ASUS and tell them to move the BUild instructions to the Front.

And I think I might contact one of the ASUS Guys later...

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

73876437.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

I really hate PC BS, he just needs to accept that it was a bad guide and move on

You bet they are!

That's why they won't accept Linus help, because their "laws of Intersectionality" won't allow someone like Linus, JayZ, Bitwit and most other Tech Youtuber to help Etienne for Reasons...

35 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Im more interested in the wireless anti-static bracelet he got rather than the build itself.

Sorry, I have to shill for Dave Jones right now because of that:

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I rest my case.  Suggesting someone run an unlicensed OS isn't really a viable option.  Can it be done?  Yes.  Doesn't mean it should be.

Why shouldnt you run it like that?

Dont you like the sticker in the corner?

A grey license is 25$. Something yiu can buy later on. Noone is stopping you from running win 10 unactivated

35 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sorry, I have to shill for Dave Jones right now because of that:

The difference is that this is not what he has... he just has a something that looks like a rubber band

image.png.8f125602e8cdbc4239bf689cc64bd3bc.png

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

*sigh*

*groan*

I give up.

So you are against saving money. I get it now. 

You can run win 10 unactivated all you want.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YyW49J

Here, run activated Windows from a key from kinguin from day one.

Specify 1 reason not to go this route?

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

hopefully the Verge actually go through the steps to regain some trust. 

You had trust for The Verge before?

It was founded by Apple fanboys who left Engadget, possibly because they couldn't suck as much Apple dick as they wanted over there.

Their reviews are a mess because they are written by so many different people. For example they gave one of the Galaxy Note phones a low rating because "it's too big", but then some other guy rated the iPhone plus model highly because "the size is perfect" or something along those lines.

Besides, a lot of their staff seems to be very tech-illiterate. It's the same type of "I drool over consumer electronics that I don't understand the basics of, so I'm a tech geek" person I mentioned earlier.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That doesn't make any sense.

Makes sense to me.

<gatekeeping>

Programming is very important to understand fundamental basics of how a computer operates, and it's also a very useful tool for efficiently using a computer. 

An enthusiast is someone who is highly interested in a particular subject. Programming is what enables PCs to work to begin with. You can't really be "highly interested" in something if don't known and don't want to learn how it actually works on a basic level. 

Maybe a better analogy would be to say that a "computer enthusiast" that don't know basic programming is like a "car enthusiast" who doesn't know the basics of how an engine works, and barely knows how to drive.

</gatekeeping>

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its more probable that either Youtube removed the Video or Capital One called them and told them to do it.

Why would YouTube remove it? They don't remove videos like that.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

There was a lot of minor stuff like not knowing the correct terminology that raised a few alarm bells, such as referring to cable ties as "tweezers" early in the video, but there was also some major mistakes made like recommending people screw through the body of the radiator with the long screws (fan mount screws) to mount it to the case, which will almost definitely damage the soft aluminium fins on most radiators and potentially cause a leak. The video was formatted as a "How to" instructional guide video, and pretty much everything that was said and done in the video was wrong.

Doesn't sound any worse than the average LinusTechTips video to me, which are also full of misinformation and formatted in ways which make them seem like guides or information videos.

But I haven't seen The Verge's video so maybe I shouldn't be too quick to judge and compare it.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

No, just no.  You're going to have really crappy components (which means it's not really suitable for gaming), and/or you won't be buying a Windows license.  Which is fine if you plan to run Linux, but most gamers don't do that.  It's advice like that which leads people to come to me, saying that they want to build a new gaming system for $500, and I just have to shake my head and set them straight.

500 dollar for a gaming PC is more than possible. You just have to set expectations accordingly.

Set the resolution to 720p, details to medium and don't expect more than ~40 FPS. If you do that a PC with a decent iGPU can play most games people might want (LoL, Fortnite, Minecraft, Hearthstone, stuff like that). Worth noting and pointing out that raising the budget slightly will give you a far better computer for gaming, but I think a lot of people on this forum has unreasonably high demands that doesn't really reflect what the average gamer demands.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

The rest of the world wouldn't create a video on a subject they know nothing about and post it on YouTube though. (OK most of them wouldn't)

Linus does, and he has become very successful because of it.

Just now, LAwLz said:

You had trust for The Verge before?

not really, no.

i wold at least expext them to make an attempt at being somewhat trusted.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Linus does, and he has become very successful because of it.

And if he makes a mistake, he owns it and explains. Not like this guy...

shit that "Techtubers are not Journalists"  

49 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Why shouldnt you run it like that?

Dont you like the sticker in the corner?

A grey license is 25$. Something yiu can buy later on. Noone is stopping you from running win 10 unactivated

That is not legal.

And that is the point. 

What you do at your home is your business and private. You can run a unactivated, not licensed Windows Version all you want.

But we can't and shouldn't recommend it because of the Legal Reasons.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But I haven't seen The Verge's video so maybe I shouldn't be too quick to judge and compare it.

Yeah, you should watch the Response Videos...

Let me Cite one of the Responses:
"It is a parody, it has to be, they can't mean this serious".

That was one of the comments.

I haven't watched the video myself and only the Responses. And its bad....

You know the Components and what it costs.

Do you want to know what they tested it with? I bet you don't...

Because its not WoW, you have to replace the W with another Letter...

And he said he limited it to 120fps, but it also runs at 350fps or so...

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why would YouTube remove it? They don't remove videos like that.

When they get enough reports, they might or will...

And its possible that there were a couple of thousand or tens of thousand people flagging it for misleading content...

But the most probable is that they got a call from their Sponsor and that they were pissed and told them to remove it ASAP or they will get sued.

23 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That is not legal.

And that is the point. 

What you do at your home is your business and private. You can run a unactivated, not licensed Windows Version all you want.

But we can't and shouldn't recommend it because of the Legal Reasons.

thanks for specifying one reason not to do so.

though im not a 100% advocate of getting grey keys, they are definitvly an option. and for those on a budget it is something they should consider

and if you really want to stay legal, running linux is becoming very viable. 

Edited by GoldenLag

No he didn'tO.o did he say the tech community were "very angry nerds" and its all good cause his shit still works my god again no editorial oversight 

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.7.0 rc4 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.7.0 rc4 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

50 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

though im not a 100% advocate of getting grey keys, they are definitvly an option. and for those on a budget it is something they should consider

That depends on what kind of Key you get.

And in a worst case scenario, the Key works only one time and gets blacklisted by Microsoft.

Thing is that you don't know what kind of Key you get and how the seller got it. And how legal they are.

In a worst case scenario they sell the same key multiple times...

50 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

and if you really want to stay legal, running linux is becoming very viable. 

Absolutely. And I'd rather do that than get a Key without Support, that might get deactivated any day by M$...

The Risk of those is rather high..

6 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

-snip

$2000 dollar build people. It's so beautifully built. Don't mind the missing screw for the cpu cooler mount.

To be fair, I've never encountered a Corsair AIO where one of the thumb screws didn't cross thread or strip itself out.

Maybe it's just my big sausage fingers. Didn't have this problem with my EKWB CPU waterblock.

5 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

With all due respect to Stefan Etienne, it seemed to be his first build and, while building a PC isn't hard, it's not easy to get it right on the first build. You're gonna make mistakes. You're gonna put the graphics card into the wrong PCIe slot. Your cable management is gonna be shit. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with getting something wrong on the first try, otherwise we wouldn't ever learn anything. I'm sure he'll do better the next time he builds a PC, but... The Verge really shoulda chose someone else for the job. Or maybe just stuck to Apple products.

Except this wasn’t his first PC. He’s claimed to build multiple.

And he dismissed criticism because “my computer is better than most of theirs anyway”. 

5 hours ago, JuNex03 said:

You wanna know what's even more stupid?

image.png.bb3e58fc3f89fb6e046f12d40c986e52.png

Getting flak from your stupid build guide then trying to squeeze in gamers and "toxic gaming" to deflect

That’s not unlike most of the other Vox Media portals like Polygon, to be brutally honest.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

7 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

*eyesore snip

$2000 dollar build people. It's so beautifully built. Don't mind the missing screw for the cpu cooler mount.

The real question is how much did they pocket.  Are review samples marked confidential meaning they didn't even pay for that?    I wonder how much citibank paid them in total.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Except this wasn’t his first PC. He’s claimed to build multiple.

And he dismissed criticism because “my computer is better than most of theirs anyway”. 

That’s not unlike most of the other Vox Media portals like Polygon, to be brutally honest.

can I throw in some of those "games journalists" in the list as well? Jesus Christ, it's like they can't own up to mistakes.

This guy would've been in the clear if:

1.) he admitted he's not a pro

2.) told his viewers that it was going to be a learning thing

3.) just own up

4.) it wouldn't necessarily need to be after they posted the video, they could've done it at the start of the video like a disclaimer or something.