this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

jjtierney02
1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I only know about this because of the Bitwit video, very funny and everyone should watch it xD

You know your PC build guide sucks when Lyle is critiquing it. :D 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, B1scu1T said:

Wow, this is still pretty badly written with quite a few errors. Seems like the verge just don't bother to proof read?

At least the original video is now taken down. Honestly, that's all I care about. I would hate to be that guy who just spunked $2000 on his first PC to then follow their guide, rupture the radiator and end up with a completely broken PC.

there's even a screw missing on the cooler. They just lost the 4th and couldn't be bother to look for it xD

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I only know about this because of the Bitwit video, very funny and everyone should watch it xD

It was a beautiful creation. Definitely a 10/10.

Lyle should go to LTX next year lol.

If you look through the photos, they tactically place items in the way of the bottom left corner to hide the fact they lost that thumbscrew...

jbareham_180831_2838_0052.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It was a beautiful creation. Definitely a 10/10.

Lyle should go to LTX next year lol.

Would be great to meet Kyle and Lyle, they should do a joint speaking panel or something. Weird they have never appeared in a video together yet though.

You wanna know what's even more stupid?

image.png.bb3e58fc3f89fb6e046f12d40c986e52.png

Getting flak from your stupid build guide then trying to squeeze in gamers and "toxic gaming" to deflect

4 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

You wanna know what's even more stupid?

image.png.bb3e58fc3f89fb6e046f12d40c986e52.png

Getting flak from your stupid build guide then trying to squeeze in gamers and "toxic gaming" to deflect

73876437.jpg

Spoiler

I really hate PC BS, he just needs to accept that it was a bad guide and move on

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Would be great to meet Kyle and Lyle, they should do a joint speaking panel or something. Weird they have never appeared in a video together yet though.

I know it's weird. I guess Lyle just wants to continue stealing Kyle's beer, and he knows he can't if Kyle is around.

honestly it'd be hilarious if they had like a 5 minute skit with Kyle going back and forth between two chairs as himself and Lyle. He could talk with the audience and answer questions.

15 minutes ago, B1scu1T said:

If you look through the photos, they tactically place items in the way of the bottom left corner to hide the fact they lost that thumbscrew...

using all the screws is elitist BS crap :P

37 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

also a gaming PC can be built for 350$ new

No, just no.  You're going to have really crappy components (which means it's not really suitable for gaming), and/or you won't be buying a Windows license.  Which is fine if you plan to run Linux, but most gamers don't do that.  It's advice like that which leads people to come to me, saying that they want to build a new gaming system for $500, and I just have to shake my head and set them straight.

The only way you're building a gaming system for that price, is if you get the absolute best deals ever or if you buy used.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

73876437.jpg

Hide contents

I really hate PC BS, he just needs to accept that it was a bad guide and move on

I don't get it really, why make a video targeted to pc users/builders/potential builders, then get angry when they found out it's all wrong?

I mean he could've cost someone 2 grand for this.

Look it's even missing a screw!

image.png.5f5118b52807c52cab67efc728ac7d83.png

2 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

Maybe re-upload video that simply says pay for build or buy from gaming system integrator, at least that would be sound advise lol. 

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

So he doesn't know how to assemble a PC. Like majority of the rest of the world. No need to humiliate.

The rest of the world wouldn't create a video on a subject they know nothing about and post it on YouTube though. (OK most of them wouldn't)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, B1scu1T said:

I think you're giving their cable management efforts, or lack there of, way too much credit. :D

You can see the missing cooler mounting screw in other photos in the article. These photos are supposedly taken after they went back and fixed the mistakes in the build, as you can see that the cooler has been replaced/remounted. The RAM is still in the wrong slots and I believe that PSU is still facing inwards (The power plug and switch would be on the top side if the fan was facing outwards). It's possible that they later went back a second time to fix those other mistakes after these photos were taken.
image.thumb.png.8e9366e063bf73a9cdad7d96eb12247e.png

@Stefan Payne the following image is just for you... :D

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.822b66d9a25900863cca09d5244d4852.png

Which looks as posed as this photo...

Spoiler

image.png.8ee04c1e149db0d608444a71ef2e8ca6.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

41 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

No, just no.  You're going to have really crappy components (which means it's not really suitable for gaming), and/or you won't be buying a Windows license.  Which is fine if you plan to run Linux, but most gamers don't do that.  It's advice like that which leads people to come to me, saying that they want to build a new gaming system for $500, and I just have to shake my head and set them straight.

The only way you're building a gaming system for that price, is if you get the absolute best deals ever or if you buy used.

*Insert standard 2200G build using good quality components

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($75.98 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill - FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($26.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $346.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 03:48 EDT-0400

Run win 10 without activating. 

This is a good 350$ build. You can go below 300 if you reeeaaaly want to.

Edit: This a decent gaming system. Telling people they have to spend more just locks people out.

edit: around 500$ system

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($93.29 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Inland - Professional 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($24.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.03 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card  ($150.00) 
Case: Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.90 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $515.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 04:11 EDT-0400

the GPU is a placeholder to buy a R9 290/x for the given 150$ price or a gtx 970. both cards are readily avavible on the used market.

20 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

I don't get it really, why make a video targeted to pc users/builders/potential builders, then get angry when they found out it's all wrong?

I mean he could've cost someone 2 grand for this.

image.png.5f5118b52807c52cab67efc728ac7d83.png

the extra screw is hidden behind a pay wall, you have to pay extra to access the extra screw and cable management. This is EA's PC build guide.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:24 AM, cartdog said:

The layers of thermal paste are not enough to thermal throttle the PC or damage it, no way near enough infact.

I've actually tested sandwiching pre-applied paste with aftermarket and, in my tests, I found a significant thermal impact that could be enough to cause throttling. My guess is that the stock paste doesn't fully heat up enough to liquefy and thus is insulating the block from the IHS.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

the following image is just for you... :D

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.822b66d9a25900863cca09d5244d4852.png

Which looks as posed as this photo...

Hide contents

image.png.8ee04c1e149db0d608444a71ef2e8ca6.png

Yes, especially since those manuals are usually printed in something like 8point - wich is rather hard to read from a mile away...

Though I haven't had a Corsair Case, only a couple of PSU...

And since Paper is expensive, you don't want to print it in 10 or 12

Anyway, I sent the latter pic to my mother and asked her what she thinks about that. And she immediately saw that she was holding it wrong™ (and gettin her fingers burned)

But the Manual of the Case isn't even the Important one, the Important one is the Motherboard...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the extra screw is hidden behind a pay wall, you have to pay extra to access the extra screw and cable management. This is EA's PC build guide.

Ha! Even with all the money he couldn't buy a standard magnetic screw driver and instead used a swiss army knife

24 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Im more interested in the wireless anti-static bracelet he got rather than the build itself.

Maybe he is living in the 3018?

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

An example of how bad it was would be the installation of the AIO cooler. Not only were no fans put on the RAD in the video he used the long screws specifically for when mounting through fans and could have pierced the RAD, that is extremely bad and could cause many people to ruin their AIOs (plus anything else the liquid gets on if the system is running).

That's not the best part (only the most damaging).

Its between the Victorinox Knife, the tweezers and especially claiming that the PSU short circuits mwhen its not on the rubber things inside the Case.

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

It was deleted for not meeting The Verge's editorial standards. However, their editorial standards should apply before the video gets published, not after.

No, look at the Tim Pool Video about it.
It was up for four days (or more), they got in a fight with Gamernexus.

They did disable their comments after some Tech Youtubers (Jays2cent for example) posted under their Video, they disabled also Likes/Dislikes.

And people told them that the Video was shit - and they did NOT take it down.

When you click on the Link of the first page in the other Thread, it says there was an error - not that the Video was removed by the User...

So there are two possibilitys:
a) the video got (mass) flagged by Users watching it for misleading and wrong content and Youtube removed it

b) Capital One got involved and removed it.

I really doubt it that "the Verge" themselves did remove it. 

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

With all due respect to Stefan Etienne, it seemed to be his first build and, while building a PC isn't hard, it's not easy to get it right on the first build. You're gonna make mistakes. You're gonna put the graphics card into the wrong PCIe slot. Your cable management is gonna be shit. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with getting something wrong on the first try, otherwise we wouldn't ever learn anything. I'm sure he'll do better the next time he builds a PC, but... The Verge really shoulda chose someone else for the job. Or maybe just stuck to Apple products.

No, it gets worse.

R T F M!

That is the first thing you do when you have no idea what you are doing. Look in the Manual and see if there is something to help you. 

I've Linked to the Board, wich is IIRC this:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X370-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Manual/

Downloaded the Manual and took a look at it. Its Page 2-3 where the Instruction how to build it starts.

Its not as awesome as my MSI B450I but still somewhat OK.

If he did that, he'd call the I/O Shield "Q-Shield" and not the other Thing he did. So that Proves that they didn't even read the Manual.

And thus he deserves NO defending and all the Flak he got, because all he needed to "research" how to do it right, already came with the components themselves. Though you might want to flame ASUS and tell them to move the BUild instructions to the Front.

And I think I might contact one of the ASUS Guys later...

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

73876437.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

You bet they are!

That's why they won't accept Linus help, because their "laws of Intersectionality" won't allow someone like Linus, JayZ, Bitwit and most other Tech Youtuber to help Etienne for Reasons...

35 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Im more interested in the wireless anti-static bracelet he got rather than the build itself.

Sorry, I have to shill for Dave Jones right now because of that: