Is my PSU enough for my future config?

pwh123

I have an fx-6300 and I'm looking for an R9 380 (any of them with 4gb) and I wonder if my PSU will handle it. It's a Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 with Bronze certification. My system is like 2 years old now.

The Silent Pro series is much older than 2 years, though (and so are the FX chips for that matter, but that's beside the point). Was it bought 2nd hand by any chance? Carried over from an old build?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The real question is will it be able to handle it at Max loads. It's a 8 years old block. If you have the budget I advise you taking better/newer PSU.

10 minutes ago, pwh123 said:

I have an fx-6300 and I'm looking for an R9 380 (any of them with 4gb) and I wonder if my PSU will handle it. It's a Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 with Bronze certification. My system is like 2 years old now.

The PSU should be replaced as its around 10 Years old and not up for the Task of modern Components.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

The PSU should be replaced as its around 10 Years old and not up for the Task of modern Components.

I get up at 6 AM and I'm STILL not early enough to beat Stefan xD

13 minutes ago, pwh123 said:

That unit is ancient by PSU standards. Replace it with something more modern. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I get up at 6 AM and I'm STILL not early enough to beat Stefan xD

That might be because it's 3, almost 4pm here right now :P

So 6am would be ~9,5h ago :)

Thanks for the quick answers, I'm not looking to buy a PSU right now cause I can't afford it. I think I'll buy a cheaper VGA then.

7 hours ago, pwh123 said:

Thanks for the quick answers, I'm not looking to buy a PSU right now cause I can't afford it. I think I'll buy a cheaper VGA then.

So you want to kill your Hardware then because you don't see the value of the PSU?

If you have the money for a "new GPU", you have the Money for a new PSU.

But since the PSU does not do any FPS and can only destroy your computer, its not important...

But hey, its your hardware, you have to replace it, when (not IF!) something dies. YOUR Choice if you want to keep the components or destroy it.

17 hours ago, seon123 said:

Why do you have a 2 year old system with a 10 year old PSU?

Who told you it's 10 years old? In my country it was being sold even in 2014 (from webshop with warranty etc.).

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

So you want to kill your Hardware then because you don't see the value of the PSU?

If you have the money for a "new GPU", you have the Money for a new PSU.

But since the PSU does not do any FPS and can only destroy your computer, its not important...

But hey, its your hardware, you have to replace it, when (not IF!) something dies. YOUR Choice if you want to keep the components or destroy it.

There's no need to be upset. I'd rather f up this system than buying a brand new quality PSU. This config is worthless there's not that much to lose, thanks for help and all, but I'm not gonna act like it's 100% that my PC will die in 1 minute (even if it was working more than fine for years) just because someone said so. I understand there's a risk but I won't by PSU because it would worth more than the other parts of my PC combined (if I'd choose to buy PSU instead of GPU) and also I couldn't use  the PC at all without any GPU.

7 hours ago, pwh123 said:

Who told you it's 10 years old? In my country it was being sold even in 2014 (from webshop with warranty etc.).

It was discontinued by Cooler Master some time ago.  

I believe the serial number sticker might have a date code on it.   RS500AMBADXXXX where the first XX would be the week of the year and the second XX is the year.  I believe.  Not sure.

So here's the thing.... It may actually be more dangerous that the PSU is old and bought recently than if you had owned it and been using it for a long time.

Capacitors don't store well unless they are at room temperature and humidity between 30 and 60%.

Capacitors poorly stored can be "re-formed", but you can't re-form a capacitor that's already installed inside a PSU.  

I actually knew a guy that bought a Corsair CS650M only six months ago.  That PSU was over two years old.  It had sat in a warehouse in Northern Europe at freezing temperatures.  That primary cap eventually blew like a firecracker.

So yeah... the concern over using old PSUs is a valid one.