DanielM94

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping After New GPU Install

Posted · Original PosterOP

Pretty much what the title says. Computer runs fine with no load, but as soon as I jump into any game I hear a slight but noticeable buzzing sound coming from inside the PC then after about 4 minutes the circuit breaker trips and all power in the room shuts down.

unplugged everything from the circuit minus the monitor and computer, still trips the circuit. If you have any knowledge of this please help

MOBO: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PWKSP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gt7MBb9H5JHJD

CPU:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B41WS48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nu7MBb0QVVASG

GPU:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GXOX3SW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ov7MBbXXH2ARE

PSU:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_yw7MBb1VMSNNP

Could it possibly be my PSU wattage isn’t sufficient enough for my build? Any info would help. Currently living in military housing in japan, but the circuit breaker says it was installed in 2006

Your PSU is fine, it's your circuit breaker in your electrical box for the house that's the issue.  The breaker is rated usually for the wiring in the room to protect against wires melting or shit like that.

Be careful upping the breaker capacity, as it may not trip if the room wiring gets too hot or overloaded.

Military housing in Japan was built buy the lowest bidder, corners were most likely cut as well.  Sorry man, you got substandard housing.

i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 860 EVO 1TB M.2 + Toshiba P300 3TB - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" Ultrawide - Logitech G910, G502, G933, Z5300

1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

Your PSU is fine, it's your circuit breaker in your box that's the issue.  The breaker is rated usually for the wiring in the room to protect against wires melting or shit like that.

Be careful upping the breaker capacity, as it may not trip if the room wiring gets too hot or overloaded.

Military housing in Japan was built buy the lowest bidder, corners were most likely cut as well.  Sorry man, you got substandard housing.

Is there anything I can do to be able to use my computer again? I had a 1050 Ti in it before and the computer could run forever with no issues. Now that I put a 1070 Ti in it, the circuit trips

9 minutes ago, DanielM94 said:

Is there anything I can do to be able to use my computer again? I had a 1050 Ti in it before and the computer could run forever with no issues. Now that I put a 1070 Ti in it, the circuit trips

You could try undervolting and lowering the power limit I guess. That's all you could do.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I seem to like any products who have the same software and hardware maker, as long as it's not Apple. Weird. I like the Surface Book and the Pixel phones, but most definitely don't want an iPhone (I'm not saying they're bad, though).

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: EVGA Supernova G1 650 watt (soon to be Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay!), Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: Creative Fata1ty, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You could try undervolting and lowering the power limit I guess. That's all you could do.

I have it running in another room on another circuit to see if it trips. I’ve narrowed the buzzing noise I’ve been hearing since the new GPU installation and it’s coming from the PSU. Does this buzzing noise means it’s actually the PSU that’s the problem?

1 hour ago, DanielM94 said:

I have it running in another room on another circuit to see if it trips. I’ve narrowed the buzzing noise I’ve been hearing since the new GPU installation and it’s coming from the PSU. Does this buzzing noise means it’s actually the PSU that’s the problem?

I'm guessing it's probably coil whine. It's happens quite a big; it's mostly just annoying because of the noise. That being said, your PSU is pretty low end... You might want to consider getting something better.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I seem to like any products who have the same software and hardware maker, as long as it's not Apple. Weird. I like the Surface Book and the Pixel phones, but most definitely don't want an iPhone (I'm not saying they're bad, though).

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: EVGA Supernova G1 650 watt (soon to be Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay!), Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: Creative Fata1ty, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

38 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I'm guessing it's probably coil whine. It's happens quite a big; it's mostly just annoying because of the noise. That being said, your PSU is pretty low end... You might want to consider getting something better.

Been running on another circuit for the past hour and has yet to trip, so it must be that room. Maybe meant as a nursery and not for high loads to be on the circuit.

As for the psu, I’ll prob just deal with the coil whine till Black Friday and spoil myself on something good. Thanks for all your help!

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use a ups as a buffer?

Also you could try to unplug things and reduce load on the breaker, which I would replace anyways while you can.

Catch me in the troubleshooting section.

Common sense is not all that common.

3 hours ago, JohnDongus said:

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use a ups as a buffer?

Also you could try to unplug things and reduce load on the breaker, which I would replace anyways while you can.

A UPS will take power from A and give to B. It doesn't modify it in any way.
He would want a power conditioner. However I'm not so sure that would work, and it's an expensive test if it doesn't work.

@DanielM94

My best guess is your fuse is a current + thermal fuse, most are.
As you need to wait for it to trip that would suggest that it's the thermal part that is tripping you as it needs time to heat up.

Fuses becomes less reliable as they age, they trip more often and eventually trip unnecessarily. If I'm right about this then it should be a cheap fix.

If you can, then you should.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:22 AM, DanielM94 said:

Pretty much what the title says. Computer runs fine with no load, but as soon as I jump into any game I hear a slight but noticeable buzzing sound coming from inside the PC then after about 4 minutes the circuit breaker trips and all power in the room shuts down.

unplugged everything from the circuit minus the monitor and computer, still trips the circuit. If you have any knowledge of this please help

MOBO: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PWKSP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gt7MBb9H5JHJD

CPU:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B41WS48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nu7MBb0QVVASG

GPU:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GXOX3SW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ov7MBbXXH2ARE

PSU:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_yw7MBb1VMSNNP

Could it possibly be my PSU wattage isn’t sufficient enough for my build? Any info would help. Currently living in military housing in japan, but the circuit breaker says it was installed in 2006

Agree with everyone that it's just the breaker getting overloaded.

But you really do have the cheapest PSU possible in there with the worst efficiency ever.  If you had something that was more efficient, it would use less power and may not trip the breaker.

Can you plug something else in there to test the socket? preferably something low wattage like a light and something the same or above what your computer draws? a couple of other things which would be useful to know is voltage and rating of the breaker? It could also be caused by bad wiring in the socket or damaged cables in the wall. Most likely the breaker is under rated but it's worth investigating properly as bad wiring can lead to a fire.