New router and getting no internet

grimreeper132

I have recently replaced the plus net one router with a TP-Link Archer VR400 and filled out all the log in details etc. for the internet, on the web GUI for the router it says its connected to the internet but I can not use it on any PC connected. (either through ethernet or wireless) 

I have read that I might need to leave it for up to 2 hours in places to recinfigure but I also am not sure if thats true, is there any way to fast track this proccess or do I need to wait

(Im with plusnet in the UK)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

It may be problem on your PC side and other devices that still try to communicate to your old network device.

You may change IP of your internal network from 192.168.1.x to 10.10.9.x to force your devices to reconnect with new settings.

Go to router settings, advanced, Network then LAN:

tplink1.png.f564b45f9bb54084d975f10c5a422eb0.png

(OT: good that TP-Link have emulators on their website - it should be standard and every BIOS should have that emulator)

Then reconnect your PC and other devices.

WIN+R and type "control"

Filter "Network" (search)

Enter Network and sharing center

In Connections - select connection then properties, then Internet Protocol 4, properties, then check if everythig is automatic.

You may try also enter it manually - 10.10.9.100 - 255.255.255.0 - 10.10.9.1 and DNS 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4.

If this is confusing, I may give you more detailed info, but I hope this will be enough.

You may also try to clone your MAC address in router config as last option.

21 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

I have recently replaced the plus net one router with a TP-Link Archer VR400 and filled out all the log in details etc. for the internet, on the web GUI for the router it says its connected to the internet but I can not use it on any PC connected. (either through ethernet or wireless) 

I have read that I might need to leave it for up to 2 hours in places to recinfigure but I also am not sure if thats true, is there any way to fast track this proccess or do I need to wait

What do the devices say when you connect to the network? Especially on a Windows machine, the network status is helpful. If it says "no network access" you're in trouble, but if it says "no internet access" it's likely a gateway or DNS problem. Go to network and sharing to find out which one it is. 

Some further questions:

1. Does your DSL connection (probably connected to the WAN port) report that it has an IP from your ISP?

2. How is your LAN setup on the TP-Link? (Range, subnet, gateway)

3. Which DNS servers have you put in?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

@NelizMastr: he wrote that he tried wireless connection too and has no internet access. Since he connects to wireless network, it's obvious that he have no internet access, but have network access.

I still think that it may be related to what do you fill in connection, but you said that you "filled out all the log in details etc. for the internet" so I assume you do it proper.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

he wrote that he tried wireless connection too and has no internet access. Since he connects to wireless network, it's obvious that he have no internet access, but have network access.

I still think that it may be related to what do you fill in connection, but you said that you "filled out all the log in details etc. for the internet" so I assume you do it proper.

That's not what I meant by that. I referred to a specific way Windows handles network connection problems. This applies to both Wi-Fi and ethernet. 

If the details for the PPPoE connection to the ISP are filled out correctly, he should get an IP. Once that said and done, the rest of the troubles should be in the LAN configuration. I'm assuming it's a DNS issue.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

29 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

In most cases the router should be able to setup all the WAN side settings on its own. To help this process along what I would do would be to unplug the modem and router. Power on the router once it is up and running power on the modem. This allows the modem to grab the new Mac address from the router. Now most of the time the router should auto renew and grab the new IP address and information from your modem. However, if that doesn't happen then once your modem is fully connected I would disconnect the router again wait about 30 seconds and plug it back in.

This should then allow it to pull the information without needing to mess around in the GUI. If you are comfortable with the GUI then you can just log in to the console and do a release/renew there. Also made sure that DHCP is on, and if still no connectivity then you should go to the phones/computers and release/renew their IP address. If you need help with that just let me know.

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

This should then allow it to pull the information without needing to mess around in the GUI.

Well, it's a router, it's not "messing around", it's configuring. Every router user should learn router options and "messing around" in GUI. :)

But hey, guys! Wait what he answers first then we will see.

@homeap5 @NelizMastr

I have got it working now there I needed to change the routers mac address to the old one and that seamed to fixed it for everything but my main laptop which can't seam to connect to it still, don't know why it keeps getting the "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" error while all other devices don't seam to (including other laptops)

And more, several more

4 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

@homeap5 @NelizMastr

I have got it working now there I needed to change the routers mac address to the old one and that seamed to fixed it for everything but my main laptop which can't seam to connect to it still, don't know why it keeps getting the "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" error while all other devices don't seam to (including other laptops)

Do you made any changes that we suggested?

I just want to know if you do something or just clone MAC and skip the rest.

Just now, homeap5 said:

Do you made any changes that we suggested?

I just want to know if you do something or just clone MAC.

I did none of the changes to do with IP and I set iot manually to the same as the old plus net one router, did try cloning my PCs but that didn't work. But yea it works now. I am about to change some more stuff like the DNS server though (probably to 1.1.1.1)

And more, several more

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are google dns.

1.1.1.1 is some cloudflare dns.

So "yea it works now" means that you finally change something or leave it?

Sometimes is good to change IP addresses of internal network - all your devices will reconnect without problem since IP address changes.

9 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

@homeap5 @NelizMastr

Actually you didn't need to clone the address technically. You should have been able to just power off and on the modem. The reason it worked after the mac change is because that is the address it was leasing your external IP to. So if you have just restarted the modem chances are all that would have happened would have been a change of your external dynamic IP and it would have accomplished the same thing as clone the MAC. If you ever decide to put that old router back in use... then you will need to change the mac address on your new one regardless.

6 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Actually you didn't need to clone the address technically. You should have been able to just power off and on the modem. The reason it worked after the mac change is because that is the address it was leasing your external IP to. So if you have just restarted the modem chances are all that would have happened would have been a change of your external dynamic IP and it would have accomplished the same thing as clone the MAC. If you ever decide to put that old router back in use... then you will need to change the mac address on your new one regardless.

SOME ISP requires re-register every new computer / router changes, but it's ancient history. In 99% cases you're right.

More than that - some routers (TP-Link especially) may slow down high speed connections when MAC address is cloned. But I'm talking about connections over 400 Mbits.

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are google dns.

1.1.1.1 is some cloudflare dns.

So "yea it works now" means that you finally change something or leave it?

Sometimes is good to change IP addresses of internal network - all your devices will reconnect without problem since IP address changes.

nah still changing some settings but I am going with the two cloudflare ones

and yea I plan to keep them the same I think as I like 192.168.1.xxx, I also will possibly be having another network with will be using IPs in  those ranges so yea

And more, several more