Apple announces iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and Xr

DocSwag

I think that the biggest mistake Apple made with their phones is not including a fast charger in the box. Apple saves like $8 for not including a fast charger!? And they don’t even include the headphone dongle either. The penny pinching is real with Apple. 

- Yes iPhones are very expensive. 

- Yes people expect fewer features for the money with Apple

- Yes iPhones are a luxury product

I believe that a lot of iPhone users won’t ever realize that they can fast charge their phones. And fast charging is a very convenient feature that adds a lot of value to your phone. People might switch over to Samsung or LG for that one fast charging feature. 

8 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I think that the biggest mistake Apple made with their phones is not including a fast charger in the box. Apple saves like $8 for not including a fast charger!? And they don’t even include the headphone dongle either. The penny pinching is real with Apple. 

- Yes iPhones are very expensive. 

- Yes people expect fewer features for the money with Apple

- Yes iPhones are a luxury product

I believe that a lot of iPhone users won’t ever realize that they can fast charge their phones. And fast charging is a very convenient feature that adds a lot of value to your phone. People might switch over to Samsung or LG for that one fast charging feature. 

I hope you realise that the "small" $8 cut equals over 300 million dollars saved in a quarter. I am not sure if that is penny pinching.

Apple phones benefit less than the android counterparts from fast charging as well. Because the batteries are so much smaller.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

12 minutes ago, aakopa said:

I hope you realise that the "small" $8 cut equals over 300 million dollars saved in a quarter. I am not sure if that is penny pinching.

Apple phones benefit less than the android counterparts from fast charging as well. Because the batteries are so much smaller.

Well, if iPhones become the fastest phones to charge because of their smaller batteries then that becomes a massive selling feature. 

If you’re compromising the user experience by pinching pennies then you don’t deserve to call yourself a luxury brand. Apple compromised by cheaping out on the charger. I hope that the consumers and tech reviews take note. 

2 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Well, if iPhones become the fastest phones to charge because of their smaller batteries then that becomes a massive selling feature. 

If you’re compromising the user experience by pinching pennies then you don’t deserve to call yourself a luxury brand. Apple compromised by cheaping out on the charger. I hope that the consumers and tech reviews take note. 

Apple doesn’t call itself a luxury brand, as far as I know. 

17 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

The iPhone Xr is severely lacking - and won’t be an upgrade for me (No 3D Touch?)

In what way other than the display? 3D Touch will be supplemented with Long hold + haptic feedback. The SoC is an upgrade, battery life is an upgrade, display size is an upgrade, camera is an upgrade except no optical zoom. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I’m disappointed with the resolution. It would have been better to offer 1920x1080, as with the 8 plus. 

33 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

In what way other than the display? 3D Touch will be supplemented with Long hold + haptic feedback. The SoC is an upgrade, battery life is an upgrade, display size is an upgrade, camera is an upgrade except no optical zoom. 

incremental at best. No real world benefit to my iPhone 7 (to which I'm comparing, it would be different for a lower model though).

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

incremental at best. No real world benefit to my iPhone 7 (to which I'm comparing, it would be different for a lower model though).

As someone who's about to replace his iPhone 7 (albeit with an Xs, not an Xr), I'd still see the Xr as an upgrade.  Much more 'breathable' screen, a noticeably upgraded camera, likely longer battery life, more base storage, faster... I wouldn't rush to upgrade if you were happy with your 7, but I could see someone springing for it if a 4.7-inch screen and their current cameras prove limiting.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

likely longer battery life

The XR is advertised to pull an hour more than the iPhone 8 Plus. Something that I think Apple should advertise more with the XR and something I think most Consumers will underestimate because they want the Xs or the Xs Max because “it’s top of the line”

Slap the phrase “Longest battery life of any iPhone” on the main product page and watch these babies fly off the shelves. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

Apple doesn’t call itself a luxury brand, as far as I know. 

Luxury, Premium... I guess Apple never called themselves that. It’s part of the mystery I guess. 

I am curious to see how well the new iPhones will sell. One part of me thinks that Android is so awful that Apple knows it can command a hefty premium for their phones. Another part of me thinks that these new iPhones are so darn expensive that consumers will hold off on buying them.

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

Luxury, Premium... I guess Apple never called themselves that. It’s part of the mystery I guess. 

I am curious to see how well the new iPhones will sell. One part of me thinks that Android is so awful that Apple knows it can command a hefty premium for their phones. Another part of me thinks that these new iPhones are so darn expensive that consumers will hold off on buying them.

Think of it this way: when Apple put out the iPhone X at $999 last year, naysayers were convinced it wasn't going to sell... well, it was the top-selling iPhone throughout its entire lifespan.  There's a certain slice of Apple's base that's willing to pay top dollar for the best iPhone, even if that top dollar is $1K or more.

My guess is that the iPhone Xr will sell the most due to its $749 price, but that the next-best performer will be the iPhone Xs Max -- if you're going to splurge, you probably want to get the absolute best model.  The regular iPhone Xs may actually be the weakest-selling of the bunch simply because it'll be neither the top dog nor the 'budget' option.

14 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Think of it this way: when Apple put out the iPhone X at $999 last year, naysayers were convinced it wasn't going to sell... well, it was the top-selling iPhone throughout its entire lifespan.  There's a certain slice of Apple's base that's willing to pay top dollar for the best iPhone, even if that top dollar is $1K or more.

My guess is that the iPhone Xr will sell the most due to its $749 price, but that the next-best performer will be the iPhone Xs Max -- if you're going to splurge, you probably want to get the absolute best model.  The regular iPhone Xs may actually be the weakest-selling of the bunch simply because it'll be neither the top dog nor the 'budget' option.

And yet...it’s technically not the absolute best it can be because of the crappy charger that comes in the box. I know that I’m beating a dead horse here, but I just can’t get over this penny pinching nonesense. 

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Longest battery life of any iPhone

Not much to brag about though. One aspect Apple does amazingly on their laptops but not the phones.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Longest battery life of any iPhone

Which is pretty damn sad given that I could use my phone as a battery bank for an iPhone and mine will still have better battery life.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

As someone who's about to replace his iPhone 7 (albeit with an Xs, not an Xr), I'd still see the Xr as an upgrade.  Much more 'breathable' screen, a noticeably upgraded camera, likely longer battery life, more base storage, faster... I wouldn't rush to upgrade if you were happy with your 7, but I could see someone springing for it if a 4.7-inch screen and their current cameras prove limiting.

It just feels incremental, it's still objectively an upgrade, but in aspects that are a more progressive approach anyway. 

31 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not much to brag about though. One aspect Apple does amazingly on their laptops but not the phones.

Personally haven't noticed much limitation with Apples battery life. Its enough for people to keep buying the iPhone. If it was "really bad" I think people would have stopped by now. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Personally haven't noticed much limitation with Apples battery life. Its enough for people to keep buying the iPhone. If it was "really bad" I think people would have stopped by now. 

It has always been a thing for iphones but people just deal with it because they just paid $1000 for an iPhone. 

I mean you said it yourself that if they marketed battery it would sell like crazy....so which side are you on here

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

they just paid $1000 for an iPhone.

For the record the only times the iPhone have been at or above $1000 is the iPhone X and Xs/Max

iPhone XR is a $750 phone and the iPhone 8 starts at $600 and used to be the baseline.

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I mean you said it yourself that if they marketed battery it would sell like crazy....so which side are you on here

I was not aware that I could not be ok with iPhone battery life but also be ok with having more battery life. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I was not aware that I could not be ok with iPhone battery life but also be ok with having more battery life. 

The whole point about saying "best battery of any iPhone" is because iPhone battery in general is meh. 

Any battery life improvement is good, but I shouldn't have to charge my work iPhone with my S8+ at 2pm on some work days

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Any battery life improvement is good, but I shouldn't have to charge my work iPhone with my S8+ at 2pm on some work days

Normally people would use battery packs, but yeah you shouldn’t have to. Most people get through the day on a single charge. Now if “your day” starts at 6AM and doesn’t end till 5PM and are using your phone instead of the things you should be doing (working, studying, etc.) then you might need to charge it during the day. 

Also context is key. “Charge my work iPhone with my S8+” tells nobody about what kind of iPhone it is. It could be an iPhone 6 for all I know and yeah, that thing is by going to lose 10/10 times by default. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Normally people would use battery packs, but yeah you shouldn’t have to. Most people get through the day on a single charge. Now if “your day” starts at 6AM and doesn’t end till 5PM and are using your phone instead of the things you should be doing (working, studying, etc.) then you might need to charge it during the day. 

Also context is key. “Charge my work iPhone with my S8+” tells nobody about what kind of iPhone it is. It could be an iPhone 6 for all I know and yeah, that thing is by going to lose 10/10 times by default. 

Its when I am at work. I am a network engineer and need to dispatch to customer sites when assisting with configuring their networks. Between calls, photos, G drive, low signal in data closets, battery drains like crazy. My S8+ can tank through it no problem but I hate using personal at work. While I just have the 6 (which is 8 months old) it blows my mind how they can last a day of use. 

The XR will be better but I don't get why they don't throw an extra large battery to at least come close to Android phones. 

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

While I just have the 6 (which is 8 months old)

The iPhone 6 has a 1,810 mAh battery. The iPhone 8 Plus has a 2,691mAh and the XR will have even larger than that. Considerably larger actually since it will more than likely have the L shaped battery cell. 

Dont be surprised if the XR has 3,000mAh.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Wow what a battery. 3,000mah AND a 720p screen! What a bargan

Yep, coupled with what is going to be the most powerful and power efficient SoC and also the worlds first 7nm SoC to hit the market. 

It really is shaping up to be a bargan despite your attempt at sarcasm. 

On 17/09/2018 at 12:46 AM, Commodus said:

I understand, but that's still anecdotal!  Now, if you were aware of what was happening across repair shops, you'd have a clearer picture.

The notch is fine.  It's meant to maximize usable screen real estate without eliminating important components or creating an unusually tall device.  There don't appear to have been significant notch-specific repair issues, so I'd say it's mission accomplished.

Hahahaha. I never said the notch was a manufacturing nightmare. Swoosh.

You are saying I did not know our company wide repair/return rate? Or have percentage failure rates from the manufactures? Again, you make lots of assumptions. :P

Also, cheap brands people don't bother reporting failures as often. They are cheap, they replace it. Expensive ones do get customer returning to the store for a repair.

I still don't see a list of part failures on Samsung devices. ;)