Apple announces iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and Xr

DocSwag
1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

but if anything's true, it does need more memory to play around with.

it doesnt need it. it just makes the userexperience a whole lot better. and it would make the iphone a whole lot better. Apple just never gave the ram the price and flagship status deserved

but but but it has a new dongle!!

hqdefault.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

They have a point, but they're also not really showing the whole picture.

Some women friends bought the iPhone SE precisely because it's better for their hand size (not to mention the sorry excuses for pockets that women are often forced to endure).  That Apple dropped the SE entirely isn't at all kind to them.

At the same time, I know some women for whom it's not a problem at all.  While I wish I had quantitative data for this, I've noticed that women are sometimes the loudest proponents of giant phones because they tend to put their phone in a bag anyway -- size doesn't matter so much when it's never going in your pocket.  This isn't to diminish the importance of smaller phones, just to note that it's a complex situation.

I lot of women like the Samsung Galaxy Note because of the stylus.

Xs
Excess
iPhones are excessive confirmed!!!11!!!!

In all seriousness, the color options look great. I've always hated applying skins to phones due to my slight OCD

The only thing I looked at was the ad campaign.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

And the iPhone 7/8 are still around for those looking for that “budget iPhone” 

Is there intention to keep that product line going? Refreshes every few years?

49 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Is there intention to keep that product line going? Refreshes every few years?

No, Apple historically offers the previous gen iPhone for a lower cost up to 3 years after they were announced. In certain cases models will be phased out and completely replaced, like the iPhone X and iPhone 5. 

But these iPhones (7/8) will not be updated internaly ever again. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

You know what this thread needs?

A little bit of almost onion level controversy,

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED 

Hide contents

59985841-3c68-4b89-bbac-51c1ad341bf6.png.8722972043cac0c5014ab8c83ca6164e.png

"female rights activist"

It's a phone, fuck off.

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

You know what this thread needs?

A little bit of almost onion level controversy,

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED 

Reveal hidden contents

59985841-3c68-4b89-bbac-51c1ad341bf6.png.8722972043cac0c5014ab8c83ca6164e.png

oh that's definitely onion level

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

19 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Xr looks pretty cool. I think the image of it being the more "budget" phone will attract a lot of buyers even though they're still paying out the ass for a phone. I don't really get why everyone is so hyped about extra CPU performance when phones aren't really doing anything with it. You play some basic games and use browsers and things, no one is really doing work on their phone (or do you?). All we want is a big battery with a simple interface.

Yes, typically you are gonna use your phone for years, that new CPU you have matters after 2 years of use compared to the one from the previous year

18 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think Apple should have carried over that 401PPI from the iphone 8 Plus as the Xr screen is bigger but i guess most people wouldn't notice.

And yeah knowing you're getting full sRGB would be nice, I know some complain of a blue tint with Samsung displays. The S8+ is the better value imo as there is still a 3.5mm jack,no notch, and a bigger battery. As far a support I'd like it to have Android one though I don't know of anyone that keeps a phone for more than 1 or 2 years.

I had my hand on a note 9 yesterday and I knew 100% I would not buy that phone. It LAGS just swiping around the home screen. A $1000 flagship lags at its homescreen. Also, I know a lot of people who are on their iPhone 6s, some are even on their iPhone 6

Just now, xtroria said:

It LAGS just swiping around the home screen. A $1000 flagship lags at its homescreen.

Mine doesn't. Didn't before I disabled all the bloat, either. Neither did either of my S8s.

Honestly, every iPhone I've played around with lags about as much as my S6 did. Occassional lag is just something that happens from time to time, on every phone.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Not to mention the very key point that Apple would have continued to make it if it sold exceptionally well and/or was very profitable. It was either hurting their bottom line (by being a cheaper alternative) OR there wasn't all that much demand (relatively). Given that Apple sells similarly priced phones in the form of the previous model, I'm less willing to believe that it's a profitability standpoint. Although you could certainly argue that an iphone 7/8 isn't quite the same as an SE2 -- the SE2 would need to be manufactured whereas the 7/8 could be leftover stock (but I don't necessarily believe that they end up with that much excess either).

The above is also assuming that there is any validity in most feminism -- which there isn't; most of it is, as you alluded to, onion level nonsense.

There is validity in most feminism, but that's a discussion for another thread and another section.

Just now, Commodus said:

there is validity in most feminism

Not 3rd wave. Which Metro is blatantly mocking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Anyway, to get things back on track: my iPhone Xs is already being prepared for shipment.  Not completely surprising, but I could swear they took longer than that even a couple of years ago.  Apple is clearly determined to ship as many of these as it can and pump up those quarterly numbers.

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Mine doesn't. Didn't before I disabled all the bloat, either. Neither did either of my S8s.

Honestly, every iPhone I've played around with lags about as much as my S6 did. Occassional lag is just something that happens from time to time, on every phone.

Right, but you had to disable the bloat. You have to do this, you have to do that. TBH, that's what frustrates me about android. You have to do so many things all the time. There's also the "oops we fucked up google play service, here enjoy the battery drain" that I had for a week on my nexus 5x resulting in me having to google search for 30 minutes trying to make the phone usable and I had to uninstall an app that I actually use quite often

Just now, xtroria said:

but you had to disable the bloat

No, I didn't. Second sentence of what I wrote.

Just now, xtroria said:

You have to do this, you have to do that

Not in the past 4 or 5 years. Running most phones as they are out of the box isn't that bad anymore.

1 minute ago, xtroria said:

You have to do so many things all the time.

Not really.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, I didn't. Second sentence of what I wrote.

Not in the past 4 or 5 years. Running most phones as they are out of the box isn't that bad anymore.

Not really.

I've been an iPhone user for 2 years but before that I've been pretty much an avid android user, rooting, custom ROM, kernel, I've been there.

I don't know how your experience has been but my iPhone has given my a way more consistent experience. I always get my update, the first moment the software is out. My 3rd party apps will always work, or at the very least will work better than in android except for google apps. 

When I spend $750 on iPhone 7 and pre-ordering my XS Max, I know I'm getting the current best hardware, software support for at least 4-5 years, excellent resale value, non-problematic 3rd party apps and probably the best customer support in the industry, 15 minutes drive from my home.

10 minutes ago, xtroria said:

I always get my update

I genuinely don't care about mobile phone updates, they offer nothing worth caring about if you're an Android user, especially a Samsung user. But now Apple's playing catch up isn't bringing anything worth caring about either.

12 minutes ago, xtroria said:

my iPhone has given my a way more consistent experience.

Since KitKat, Android has been extremely consistant within phone brands. And if you like near stock Android, like a heathen, across most brands it's still rather consistant.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, xtroria said:

I've been an iPhone user for 2 years but before that I've been pretty much an avid android user, rooting, custom ROM, kernel, I've been there.

I don't know how your experience has been but my iPhone has given my a way more consistent experience. I always get my update, the first moment the software is out. My 3rd party apps will always work, or at the very least will work better than in android except for google apps. 

When I spend $750 on iPhone 7 and pre-ordering my XS Max, I know I'm getting the current best hardware, software support for at least 4-5 years, excellent resale value, non-problematic 3rd party apps and probably the best customer support in the industry, 15 minutes drive from my home.

I’ve been using an iPhone for about 6 weeks, and I agree with this, overall. The integration with other devices is also a significant benefit, for me. Now to see whether I want to swap the iPhone 8 for an Xs...

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I genuinely don't care about mobile phone updates, they offer nothing worth caring about if you're an Android user, especially a Samsung user. But now Apple's playing catch up isn't bringing anything worth caring about either.

Since KitKat, Android has been extremely consistant within phone brands. And if you like near stock Android, like a heathen, across most brands it's still rather consistant.

You dont care about software update because you use using samsung, and samsung sells you expensive phone and gives you a middle finger regarding software updates

4 minutes ago, xtroria said:

You dont care about software update because you use using samsung

I also used Sony, where I got software updates every week to two weeks, as well as Windows Phone, where I got updates every one to two months.

I use Samsung partially because I don't care about useless and worthless software updates.

Especially updates that are better served as a small handful of patches throughout the year instead of the shitshot that is iOS 10-12 and Android 5.0 and up. Updates that somehow are still only catching up to what Samsung has been doing since 2014, if not earlier.

And don't try to use security updates as a got'cha. Those can be downloaded and installed along side app updates on Android, and are.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

what Samsung has been doing since 2014, if not earlier.

That is not a long time......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

That is not a long time......

Soon to be 5 years, which is quite a long time for phones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Soon to be 5 years, which is quite a long time for phones.

The difference is Apple still supports their 5 year old phones.