Apple announces iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and Xr

DocSwag
11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Nope, S9 took that away against the X for the first time. 

They are usually the fastest. Though i am surprised the S9 was the one to beat apple

3 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I hope it sells well, because it would be the product line I bought from. It just almost seems like if most people buy Apple, they only want to be the high end models. As a status symbol. Which I don't really understand, I was really surprised at how well the iPhone X sold at launch, I saw a lot more people using it then I'd imagine.

Honestly though, I think the XR is the more logical option of the 3 shown

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

$749 not even FHD smh :(

The PPI is standard with the 4.7" iPhones from the past three generations. I don't think it's horrible but it definitely woulda been better if it was more around 400 PPI. 

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Is there any latency benefit to that? Apple isn’t using that as far as I am aware and they have already eliminated shutter lag thanks to the Nueral Engine in the A12 Bionic. 

I believe the main benefit of the dram on the sensor is for super slow-mo (960 fps), as it allows capturing a very quick burst of video at that framerate.

5 hours ago, JediFragger said:

Wow, that Xr screen resolution is dogshit!!! :o

Honestly because of sub pixels and stuff the actual PPI is probably close to the iPhone Xs and Xs Max

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

What are you talking about mate?

Dolby Vision and HDR10 are both different HDR transmission standards (the iPhone Xs supports both).

DisplayHDR isn't a transmission standard, it's a Display Certification... A display certification that requires support for HDR10 and allows optional support for Dolby Vision >.> DisplayHDR is analogous to UHD Premium Certification for TVs.

I can pretty well gauruntee you that the screen on this phone won't hit 1000 Nit peak brightness. 

I can pretty well gauruntee you the screens for these phones aren't going to hit 1000 nit peak brightness, and given that they're small phone screens it would be highly surprising if they even hit all the minimum requirenments for DisplayHDR 400.

Apologies, I read it off the anandtech article so I assumed Dolby vision and HDR 10 was combined in one name.

Looks like I've also been a bit misinformed and you're right, Dolby vision and hdr10 are about displaying the video itself. Regardless, in order to hit the requirements to support Dolby vision, I'd imagine you'd probably need a display more than good enough to hit HDR400, no?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

there are a ton of bad android phones out there, especially older ones. newer ones are pretty much flagships atm. 

though i really see the appeal of iOS and their phones (ive owned a iphone 4 and has been surrounded by iphones) iphones have simply lost their edge to mid-range devices. so has most flagships at this point. 

I mean... I've had flagship android phones. They were all kinda shit, so I switch to an iPhone X, which actually feels like a flagship.

Phone order: Nameless Verizon Flip Phone, iPhone 4, Galaxy S3, HTC One M7, Nexus 5X, Pixel, iPhone X.

It was like using a mid-tier trash phone for all of them. Which, to be fair, the 5x was. But the Pixel was a fucking flagship Android phone... And felt mid-tier at best, not premium at all. 

The iPhone X actually feels like a flagship. I don't get any weird quirks, everything is insanely fast, and the camera is incredible. At this point I'm saying that the phrase "flagship android phone" is an oxymoron. 

Let's be real though.

Who actually came up with those names?

What does "XR" mean? And iPhone XS Max. If you never told anyone that the "X" is actually supposed to be pronounced as "10" since it's the Roman numeral for the number 10, they'll say it as "iPhone Excess Max", which sounds awfully fitting considering how much it costs.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

33 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Let's be real though.

Who actually came up with those names?

What does "XR" mean? And iPhone XS Max. If you never told anyone that the "X" is actually supposed to be pronounced as "10" since it's the Roman numeral for the number 10, they'll say it as "iPhone Excess Max", which sounds awfully fitting considering how much it costs.

I figure it's "Xr" because R is one letter before S.  Still not great, but it beats the hell out of Xc.

My question: how does Apple follow this up?  iPhone X1?  Not XI when you've already seen Xr and Xs.

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I figure it's "Xr" because R is one letter before S.  Still not great, but it beats the hell out of Xc.

My question: how does Apple follow this up?  iPhone X1?  Not XI when you've already seen Xr and Xs.

Iphone V obviously

Take naming schemes out of Nvidia's book

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

No phone needs to hit 1000 nits. Lower HDR standards of 400 and 600 are the max IMO. 

That was kind of my point. DisplayHDR 400 or 600 certification on a 7" screen is more than enough for decent HDR Video and would be spectacular to see, particularly because of the other parts of the spec, not just brightness.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Apologies, I read it off the anandtech article so I assumed Dolby vision and HDR 10 was combined in one name.

Looks like I've also been a bit misinformed and you're right, Dolby vision and hdr10 are about displaying the video itself. Regardless, in order to hit the requirements to support Dolby vision, I'd imagine you'd probably need a display more than good enough to hit HDR400, no?

Nah. You can make a SRGB 80% colour gamut display with a 300 nit peak brightness, totally innacurate colours and terribad contrast ratio and still impliment Dolby Vision on it. There would be no point and it would be stupid and useless, but you could.

Dolby Vision is nothing more than a format of how the HDR content tells the display about it's higher dynamic range. Just as the PCIe 3.0 standard says nothing about the actual card on the other end (could be a GT 945 or a RTX 2080TI) the fact that a device supports Dolby Vision says nothing about the display itself.

DisplayHDR and UHD Premium are the opposite. They say absolutely nothing about the way data is transferred (other than both requiring the device support HDR10 input) and are instead just a badge that indicates that a device passed a series of tests for picture quality.

UHD Premium is a certification by the Consumer Electronics Association (i.e. the TV companies) was designed specifically for large form factor TVs and sets baseline requirements for things like contrast ratio and persistence. It also mandates a 1000 nit peak brightness as that's fairly reasonable and easily achieved on more premium large form factor devices. This is where there whole "If it's not 1000nit it's not *real* HDR" rhetoric comes from, despite being kind of silly for smaller devices.

The DisplayHDR certification comes from VESA who deal with the display stuff for pretty much everything other than TVs (they haven't traditionally got along with the CEA). These are far more reasonable certifications for smaller devices, and actually have stricter requirenments than UHD Premium outside of the brightness. A phone with DisplayHDR 400 certification would be actually pretty damn impressive on such a small screen. I mean obviously you don't expect a tiny 7" screen to put out as much light as a 65" TV, do you? A phone with DisplayHDR 1000 certification would likely just be super uncomfortable to look at.

38 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

The DisplayHDR certification comes from VESA who deal with the display stuff for pretty much everything other than TVs (they haven't traditionally got along with the CEA). These are far more reasonable certifications for smaller devices, and actually have stricter requirenments than UHD Premium outside of the brightness. A phone with DisplayHDR 400 certification would be actually pretty damn impressive on such a small screen. I mean obviously you don't expect a tiny 7" screen to put out as much light as a 65" TV, do you? A phone with DisplayHDR 1000 certification would likely just be super uncomfortable to look at.

DisplayHDR has the rating based on nits, which is based on the area of the screen (1 candela per meter^2 is the exact measurement)... Most smartphone screens these days on flagships can sustain around 500-600 nits, whereas DisplayHDR400 only requires around 200-300 nits sustained brightness. I also believe the G7 ThinQ can also burst up to 1000 nits under bright light. It's not that the amount of light the smartphone emits is the same as that of the TV; just that the amount it emits in a certain area is the same.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I hope they bring back the SE. Especially if they give it a screen notch and remove the button then call it the SEX.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

7 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Do you think it will? Seems very reminiscent of iPhone 5C which bombed hard. I wish instead of the Xr, they had continued making old style, iPhone 7/8 refreshes. We'll wait and see, it's for sure the most interesting out of the bunch.

The 5C failed because it was too budget. People wanted all the headline features at a lower cost. Just having color options wasn’t enough. 

The XR packs all the same internals but compromises on the display and camera tech to bring the price down closer to what iPhones have historically been $600-$800 and offers color options. 

And the iPhone 7/8 are still around for those looking for that “budget iPhone” 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

$749 and the phone is not even full HD! No 3D Touch either. 

That’s $1029 Canadian! Holy cow! 

IMHO, this is a strong case for the iPhone 7. The screen is about the same quality as the XR and the performance is worse, yes, but still very fast. And you don’t need a supercomputer to use Facebook and YouTube LOL. 

I just don’t get it. Technology should become cheaper, not more expensive over time. 

But Canadians will still buy the iPhone XR in droves. You know why? Canadians are getting their skin ripped off by the big 3 telecom companies, to the point where it’s more attractive to get a French data plan from France (Orange offers 60gb of data for 60€ that you can use in the USA and Canada). These 3 telecom companies are slowly lowering their fees because of very mild competition from Public Mobile. So Canadians will gladly bundle $1000 phone with their cheaper data plans. 

24 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

the white on mine is shockingly still white though O_O (minus the scuffs)

Well it was essentially an iPhone 5, when it came out it last last years tech and god slow with the A6 in comparison to the A7 (the first 64Bit SoC in a smartphone) in the iPhone 5s

It was a “good phone” I even had one, but it wasn’t attractive enough to people for anything but price and color.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

As much as I hate the UI I am actually considering the XR, but am more likely to go with a pixel 3 xl or ROG phone.

If the Pixel 3 XL has that Notch tho....man I think the XR is going to kick it’s ass* 

There are notches, and there are notches

39 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, the 3 XL has no bloatware and a reason for the notch unlike several others just copying Apple for the sake of copying.

Yeah, a Notch on its own if fine imo, but if you have a Notch and a chin then there is a problem. 

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, Google put a notch on the XL to keep the speaker from what I remember which is a fair reason to keep it.  I don't really care about chins.  I kinda want the ROG phone for the fact that it and the gimmick crap you can buy for it shouldn't exist in the first place.  Like who the fuck OCs a phone processor?

Many years ago I actually oc'd my razr Maxx as it became unusably slow after 15 months or so.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Sounds like Apple is marketing towards the X-men. There is no other reasonable explanation.

13 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

you know, i feel like the smartphone industry is waaaaaaaaay overdue on naming a phone with emojis ?

Please god no....actually I will only approve of the iPhone ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)s

34 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Sounds like Apple is marketing towards the X-men. There is no other reasonable explanation.

iPhone X-Men: First Class!

12 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

"meaningless". iOS can only be so "magic" untill they resort to pagefiling. which is 1. bad for the SSD  2. makes it slower in day to day use. 3. and when it isnt pagefiling it is putting tasks out of memmory.

calling it meaningless is just false. iOS isnt getting skinnier, everyone should know that by now

iOS 11 can run pretty damn decently on 1GB of RAM.

Show me a phone that can run the latest Android update fairly decently with that much RAM.

Both OSes handle memory management in significantly different ways, and there's numerous reasons to it. I'm not gonna say whether Android is poorly optimized or not, becuase I can't say for sure if it is or isn't, but if anything's true, it does need more memory to play around with.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

iOS 11 can run pretty damn decently on 1GB of RAM.

Show me a phone that can run the latest Android update fairly decently with that much RAM.

Both OSes handle memory management in significantly different ways, and there's numerous reasons to it. I'm not gonna say whether Android is poorly optimized or not, becuase I can't say for sure if it is or isn't, but if anything's true, it does need more memory to play around with.

i had a hard time finding a android phone with so little RAM, kinda embarrasing really for apple. 

also i choose the Nokia 2. there you go. 

You know what this thread needs?

A little bit of almost onion level controversy,

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED 

Spoiler

59985841-3c68-4b89-bbac-51c1ad341bf6.png.8722972043cac0c5014ab8c83ca6164e.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

You know what this thread needs?

A little bit of almost onion level controversy,

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED 

Hide contents

59985841-3c68-4b89-bbac-51c1ad341bf6.png.8722972043cac0c5014ab8c83ca6164e.png

They have a point, but they're also not really showing the whole picture.

Some women friends bought the iPhone SE precisely because it's better for their hand size (not to mention the sorry excuses for pockets that women are often forced to endure).  That Apple dropped the SE entirely isn't at all kind to them.

At the same time, I know some women for whom it's not a problem at all.  While I wish I had quantitative data for this, I've noticed that women are sometimes the loudest proponents of giant phones because they tend to put their phone in a bag anyway -- size doesn't matter so much when it's never going in your pocket.  This isn't to diminish the importance of smaller phones, just to note that it's a complex situation.

8 minutes ago, Commodus said:

They have a point, but they're also not really showing the whole picture.

Some women friends bought the iPhone SE precisely because it's better for their hand size (not to mention the sorry excuses for pockets that women are often forced to endure).  That Apple dropped the SE entirely isn't at all kind to them.

At the same time, I know some women for whom it's not a problem at all.  While I wish I had quantitative data for this, I've noticed that women are sometimes the loudest proponents of giant phones because they tend to put their phone in a bag anyway -- size doesn't matter so much when it's never going in your pocket.  This isn't to diminish the importance of smaller phones, just to note that it's a complex situation.

Not to mention the very key point that Apple would have continued to make it if it sold exceptionally well and/or was very profitable. It was either hurting their bottom line (by being a cheaper alternative) OR there wasn't all that much demand (relatively). Given that Apple sells similarly priced phones in the form of the previous model, I'm less willing to believe that it's a profitability standpoint. Although you could certainly argue that an iphone 7/8 isn't quite the same as an SE2 -- the SE2 would need to be manufactured whereas the 7/8 could be leftover stock (but I don't necessarily believe that they end up with that much excess either).

The above is also assuming that there is any validity in most feminism -- which there isn't; most of it is, as you alluded to, onion level nonsense.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.