Apple announces iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and Xr

DocSwag
6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The Xr is only a good value because it looks like you have an iphone X,and you get a slightly better cpu if you're coming from an iphone 8. Still it's overpriced to me since I see the better value in something like a P20, or a Nokia. If you need a flasgship you can get a S8+ for less and it won't have a shitty screen resolution.

it looks like good value when sitting next to their own current gen devices. 

that is a thing, Apple only compares itself to itself. (with some minute exceptions)

5 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

but i remember my old beloved moto X gen 1, with 0.6 size screen and the same screen resolution and, while it was fine for day to day tasks, i could clearly see pixels in videos or games. And this fucken screen is even bigger.

The likely reason for that is PenTile

The OG Moto X had an OLED display that was very likely using the PenTile submatrix. This gives it a lower effective resolution than an equivalent RGB matrix display.

For comparison’s sake, I tried a Galaxy S4 and HTC One M8. Despite their same 441PPI figure, I could make out the pixels on the S4 due to the PenTile submatrix. The One M8’s display pixels can’t be made out unless I seriously squint.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The likely reason for that is PenTile

The OG Moto X had an OLED display that was very likely using the PenTile submatrix. This gives it a lower effective resolution than an equivalent RGB matrix display.

For comparison’s sake, I tried a Galaxy S4 and HTC One M8. Despite their same 441PPI figure, I could make out the pixels on the S4 due to the PenTile submatrix. The One M8’s display pixels can’t be made out unless I seriously squint.

Ye, it was, if i remember correctly green pixels were 0.5 the size of others and were there twice as often, which led to some funky colours on greenish images. I still think the point stands, even with a proper rgb matrix at this screen size it will be ugly. 4.7 at 1280x720 vs 6.1 at 1792×828, the increase seems disproportional, as in the screen grew by ~30%, disregard different aspect ratios, its a pain in the ass, while the pixel count grew by ~15%.

God, i miss my OG motoX, best phone i ever had.

20 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

TBH though, I wished Samsung individually calibrated their displays.

That iPhone may have an oddball resolution but it’s known to be really bright and very accurate to both P3 and sRGB gamuts, for the iPhone 7, 8 and X. I still think they ought to go for a 401PPI option for the XR though 

I think Apple should have carried over that 401PPI from the iphone 8 Plus as the Xr screen is bigger but i guess most people wouldn't notice.

And yeah knowing you're getting full sRGB would be nice, I know some complain of a blue tint with Samsung displays. The S8+ is the better value imo as there is still a 3.5mm jack,no notch, and a bigger battery. As far a support I'd like it to have Android one though I don't know of anyone that keeps a phone for more than 1 or 2 years.

Ive changed my mind regardless A12, you do indeed need mad proccessing power to transcode everything to this odd resolutions and not have it look like shit. GJ Apple, i knew you can do it

9 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Ye, it was, if i remember correctly green pixels were 0.5 the size of others and were there twice as often, which led to some funky colours on greenish images. I still think the point stands, even with a proper rgb matrix at this screen size it will be ugly. 4.7 at 1280x720 vs 6.1 at 1792×828, the increase seems disproportional, as in the screen grew by ~30%, disregard different aspect ratios, its a pain in the ass, while the pixel count grew by ~15%.

It’s why I said 401PPI probably should have been their choice.

326 might be fine but it’s sitting right on that “Retina” line. Good thing the display makes up in other areas such as exceptional accuracy and individual calibration.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, asus killer said:

holly crap those prices for a phone. They cost more than a decent PC O.o

And not having a micro sd slot really helps the business xD

Samsung aren't really much better a S9 is around $600 i believe

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I know some complain of a blue tint with Samsung displays.

Color tinting or shifting at an off-axis is an OLED thing. My Note8 shifts a little red at an off-axis. I think the iPhone X also has the same but to a lesser degree as it’s a highly binned Samsung OLED

3 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

you realize that is 150$ less than the Xr? if it is priced at the price you say. 

and it has a headphone jack and microSD.

also its samsung, known for not having the best value proposition

Just now, Tcrumpen said:

Compare S9 to Xr and think again.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It’s why I said 401PPI probably should have been their choice.

326 might be fine but it’s sitting right on that “Retina” line. Good thing the display makes up in other areas such as exceptional accuracy and individual calibration.

Meh, 326 was right on the retina line in like 2010. Imo, 326ppi on a 3/4 of a grand phone is a fucken disgrace. No brightness/colour accuracy can remedy artifacting and bluriness caused by odd and small resolution, 1080 videos will look like shit unless transcoded. Its like, add 34 fucken pixels so there would be a 0.8 ration to proper resolutions, not 0.7(6).

Dunno, even Xs screen is kinda subpar, but with it being oled it wont be that noticeable

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you realize that is 150$ less than the Xr? if it is priced at the price you say. 

and it has a headphone jack and microSD.

also its samsung, known for not having the best value proposition

I'm no apple fanboy just merely saying that Samsung's pricing when it comes to phones aren't that good either

1 minute ago, hobobobo said:

1080 videos will look like shit unless transcoded. Its like, add 34 fucken pixels so there would be a 0.8 ration to proper resolutions, not 0.7(6).

People please note that even the largest Max 6.5 inch is actually = 5.5inch when watching 1080p content

1 minute ago, hobobobo said:

Meh, 326 was right on the retina line in like 2010. Imo, 326ppi on a 3/4 of a grand phone is a fucken disgrace. No brightness/colour accuracy can remedy artifacting and bluriness caused by odd and small resolution, 1080 videos will look like shit unless transcoded. Its like, add 34 fucken pixels so there would be a 0.8 ration to proper resolutions, not 0.7(6).

Dunno, even Xs screen is kinda subpar, but with it being oled it wont be that noticeable

screen resolution on these small devices really start looking alike on a good panel. the rez isnt bad as long as you can have 1080p footage downsampled to its resolution

The Xs Max gives me smallbasic flashbacks

...nobody is going to get that reference...?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

I'm no apple fanboy just merely saying that Samsung's pricing when it comes to phones aren't that good either

its really good compared to Apple though. the point you were making wasnt great. using a phone like the P20 Pro or Note 9 would be better. as they both cost quite a bit. though they both have some redeeming factors

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

screen resolution on these small devices really start looking alike on a good panel. the rez isnt bad as long as you can have 1080p footage downsampled to its resolution

downsampling does not work that well if the resolutions dont devide by each other well. Downsampling 1080p to 804p either needs shittons of computational power or downsample from something like 4\8k so the errors caused by nonproportional resolutions would be not so noticeable.

Then again, i might understand how downsampling works wrong and all of the above might just be a product of my disdain for apple

7 hours ago, DocSwag said:

The iPhone Xs's also use a very similar display to the last gen iPhone X, with the smaller variant having the same resolution while the larger one is a bit higher resolution. However, both support Dolby Vision HDR10 (the good HDR, not like Display HDR400).

What are you talking about mate?

Dolby Vision and HDR10 are both different HDR transmission standards (the iPhone Xs supports both).

DisplayHDR isn't a transmission standard, it's a Display Certification... A display certification that requires support for HDR10 and allows optional support for Dolby Vision >.> DisplayHDR is analogous to UHD Premium Certification for TVs.

I can pretty well gauruntee you that the screen on this phone won't hit 1000 Nit peak brightness. 

I can pretty well gauruntee you the screens for these phones aren't going to hit 1000 nit peak brightness, and given that they're small phone screens it would be highly surprising if they even hit all the minimum requirenments for DisplayHDR 400.

2 hours ago, Vode said:

The user experience is shit IMO, the software overall. Forced Google apps, bloatware, etc. Phone gets laggy over time even without software updates. Especially Samsung ones.

I guess it has gotten better with Mid-Range Android phones, I'll give you that. Headphone jack is great too. 

For me personally I can't stand Android anymore. It just wastes too much of my time, isn't elegant at all.

Well this is the reason I'm willing to go deep and try an iPhone.

Android is all I tried phone wise of course Nokia/Blackberry, but not these days .. maybe I do still use that BB9900 :P

Not getting updates and finding battery drain issues annoyed me the most, unlike my PC's my phone is a tool with one simple job.

I do not want to spend time fixing those up so I can Snap a friend or be a male whore in Instagram I call myself that.

After experiencing iOS on the iPod 4G & now 5G for a long time I've always been quite fond of it.

Neither of these two devices are broken beyond unusable, the 4G homebutton gave out after 3+ years of heavy use.

That 5G screen died randomly after 9 months, quick trip to Apple and handing the phone in they even allowed me just to "Pick one from the shelves at the store".

If that is what I get for pay more, well I'd gladly.

I do admit their prices are quite high some even say insane but at least in Belgium their stores are superb. (Leuven, Diestsestraat & Vaartkom) 

Android has amazing features I'll surely miss on iOS, Nova Launcher and the shier amount of customization will be missed, but living without that is possible.

5 Hour battery life isn't something I can live with, and hope to see that it is at least better on the other side.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

please elaborate how phones continuesly loose on the second pass in speedtest?

*looks at Nokia 6.1 plus. has in general everything the iphone has (sacrifises in rear camera a bit), but has 

1. headphone jack
  2. smaller notch
  3. SD card slot
  4. USB C
  5. a pricetag of about 350$ i believe (non-carrier)
  6. 4/6GB of Ram
  7. a blunt weapon (its bade by Nokia afterall)
  8. Android one for equivelent support
  9. fingerprint reader

what do you mean the are shit? they are litterally better than the best iphone made, the iphone 6s

True but - tell that to Becky who wants iPhone more than a college degree

26 minutes ago, voiha said:

True but - tell that to Becky who wants iPhone more than a college degree

Ill tell Becky to buy the best iphone ever made. The 6s.

Otherwise get a Apple sticker on the 6.1 plus and add a Apple linux distro. Tell its an iphone, because i honestly doubt she couldntell

2 hours ago, hobobobo said:

The pixel count grew by 60%.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

iphones are usually the fastest in the first pass on these speed tests

Nope, S9 took that away against the X for the first time. 

5 hours ago, Vode said:

Forced Google apps, bloatware, etc. Phone gets laggy over time even without software updates. Especially Samsung ones.

I guess it has gotten better with Mid-Range Android phones, I'll give you that. Headphone jack is great too. 

For me personally I can't stand Android anymore. It just wastes too much of my time, isn't elegant at all.

I think in terms of longevity, if you want your phone to last as long as possible, from my experience you're going to get more life out of an iPhone than a Samsung device, can't speak for other Android devices personally (although I'd assume they're very similar). Android is such a heavy and clunky OS. There's a reason it requires so much more RAM. I'm happy with iOS at the moment, and unfortunately it seems Android is just copying features from iOS so there's nothing pulling away from it.

2 hours ago, Sfekke said:

I do admit their prices are quite high some even say insane but at least in Belgium their stores are superb. (Leuven, Diestsestraat & Vaartkom) 

Android has amazing features I'll surely miss on iOS, Nova Launcher and the shier amount of customization will be missed, but living without that is possible.

5 Hour battery life isn't something I can live with, and hope to see that it is at least better on the other side.

This is a great summary, there's no 'superior' operating systems/platforms. They both have their pros and cons. You just have to find what features you can live with or what features you can live without. iMessage is a must have for some, access to individuals folders and file systems are a must for others. Everyone's wants and needs are different.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I can pretty well gauruntee you that the screen on this phone won't hit 1000 Nit peak brightness. 

No phone needs to hit 1000 nits. Lower HDR standards of 400 and 600 are the max IMO. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No phone needs to hit 1000 nits. Lower HDR standards of 400 and 600 are the max IMO. 

No, i want a spotlight screen to blind me in the evening and morning. 

That is the only true retina display. The one that burns it