NH-D15 is overkill for ''i7 7700'' non K?

iCleber
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

The NH-D15 is massive overkill.

Do you have the stock cooler? If you're doing no overclocking, that's likely sufficient.

Otherwise, you just want a cheap, somewhat quiet, tower cooler. Something like the Cooler Master 212. Any of the low end Noctua coolers like the U9 or U12 would also be fine (still probably overkill).

Just get a cheap $20/$30 cooler.

Can you guys recommend some good cpu cooler?

Ty

not overkill really. necessary probably not. would you get similar performance with another cooler probably.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H60-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060007-WW

have a look at a few reviews see if its ok. the NHD15 will be more than enough though

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Well yes you could consider it overkill, however there are many other gains from this. It would make the CPU run much cooler, meaner its fans spin much less, meaning it would be near silent operation as it has an more than sufficient cooler. This is good and a lot of people want it. It also looks really cool. It however might not be the best allocation of money in terms of ugprades depending on your PC (for example if you are still using an HDD only, you'll have a MUCH better experience by buying an SSD and upgrading to that over a beefy CPU cooler).

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

7 minutes ago, iCleber said:

Can you guys recommend some good cpu cooler?

Ty

Dark Rock 4 (non pro)

"Dark Rock 4 Pro" is as big as the NH-D15

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

The NH-D15 is massive overkill.

Do you have the stock cooler? If you're doing no overclocking, that's likely sufficient.

Otherwise, you just want a cheap, somewhat quiet, tower cooler. Something like the Cooler Master 212. Any of the low end Noctua coolers like the U9 or U12 would also be fine (still probably overkill).

Just get a cheap $20/$30 cooler.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

that cooler is awful tho

It's also very expensive - if you're gonna pay those prices, might as well just use the D15. There are many excellent much cheaper coolers in the $20-ish range that would be ideal here.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

It's also very expensive - if you're gonna pay those prices, might as well just use the D15. There are many excellent much cheaper coolers in the $20-ish range that would be ideal here.

yeah also a H7 would be more than enough for a locked CPU, even a C7...

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

coolermaster hyper 212 is good shout

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Thank you all! 
Indeed ,is overkill. I'm just wasn't sure. 
I Going with 212 evo.

36 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Is it overkill? I'd say yes, unless you want a really cool and quiet CPU.

Even if he wants low temps and quiet operation, the D15 is still overkill. He can achieve both with a much cheaper cooler.

Mind you, if he already had the D15 just sitting there, then you might as well just use it.

13 hours ago, iCleber said:

I Going with 212 evo.

There are generally quieter and cheaper coolers still.

Where are you shopping / located? What case and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Personally I wouldn't go with budget on i7. And definitely look for something else than 212 Evo. It was king of budget coolers few years back. But now there are far better cooler. Like M9i for example. Thats 92mm cooler which is usually cheaper than 212 and still matches in cooling performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv