nVidia building up for RTX release hype: 9 more DLSS games & more 4k perf comparisions (Plus a GN Video with details)

WMGroomAK
9 hours ago, leadeater said:

For older games you could also use it to upscale the output resolution above what the original game engine supported, maybe. That would be nice especially for games that didn't support wide screen as well.

I'd like to see the original shadow warrior and redneck rampage upscaled.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

For older games you could also use it to upscale the output resolution above what the original game engine supported, maybe. That would be nice especially for games that didn't support wide screen as well.

Amazing point actually.

DLSS is doing a 64x supersampling anyways,... oh, the possibilities!

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

@WMGroomAK and @leadeater, Tim addressed DLSS a bit. Normal DLSS runs a game at some % lower than native then upscales via with specialized techniques per game. DLSS x2 is at native resolution and then uses the specialized techniques to replace most of the AA functions. So, somehow, all of the takes were correct.

Hmm.

So DLSS(x1) is actually a form of downscaling while preserving quality? That would explain why the performance jump is so crazy.

And DLSSx2 is the AA alternative we have all been talking about.

Interesting. That means we actually have to take a VERY close look at both versions. As they are basically two completely different things. Kinda confusing if true, at least the naming is confusing. But  NVidia kinda loves to be confusing with names. As if they would not get enough shit for that.

17 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Hmm.

So DLSS(x1) is actually a form of downscaling while preserving quality? That would explain why the performance jump is so crazy.

And DLSSx2 is the AA alternative we have all been talking about.

Interesting. That means we actually have to take a VERY close look at both versions. As they are basically two completely different things. Kinda confusing if true, at least the naming is confusing. But  NVidia kinda loves to be confusing with names. As if they would not get enough shit for that.

The issue is the x1 vs x2, as both features use the DLSS engine to post-process the image (and it allows a huge chunk of functions to be moved to the inactive GPU units), but they're for completely different applications. x1 it is being used as an Upscaler and x2 it's being used as a post-process filter (at native resolution).  The nomenclature is thus really confusing.

However, especially as an upscaler, I think that's a really good use of the Async ability. Run a game at  2880 x 1620 (so 1080p x 1.5) then upscale into 4K, so you can always maintain 60 Hz in practically every scenario. Plus, with high-refresh 4K monitors to land next year, it's a way of being able to actually get into those upper ranges consistently, as even the 2080 Ti should struggle with 100 Hz in modern titles at 4K. (Obviously, esports titles are a massive exception.) Of course, Nvidia is basically working off the fact that no one should be rocking a big enough monitor to be able to notice the difference between them, especially when people already argue for removing AA at 4K. 

24 inch/1080p monitors have a dot pitch of 0.2721mm, while a 32 inch/4K display has a dot pitch of 0.1816mm. Unless you're sitting really close to a 42 inch, 4K display (do they make any gaming monitors that big? Okay, they do, and not as badly priced as I expected. They're clearly for Stock Traders, though) won't really be noticable when upscaling like that. 5K and 8K, sure, but those are even much further off.

I was wrong, though, in my thought they'd actually be using DLSS for normal super-sampling. I thought they might be rendering above the resolution then using the DLSS to downscale & clean up the image.

1 hour ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Amazing point actually.

DLSS is doing a 64x supersampling anyways,... oh, the possibilities!

Well that's not quite correct, DLSS is trained with 64x SS images. The application of DLSS is well, unkown/Nvidia secret sauce but it won't be as visually effective as 64x SS because it's extrapolating what the image would look like if it were 64x SS.

In fact you could train DLSS with 8k, 16k, 32k etc native renders, or at least I don't see why you couldn't.

It seems regardless of which you use (x1 or x2) huge amounts of AA processing is being removed from the cuda side, but with 1x not only is it not processing AA but it's not processing the full resolution either.  No wonder they can infer huge jumps in performance from questionable increases in cuda core count.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It seems regardless of which you use (x1 or x2) huge amounts of AA processing is being removed from the cuda side, but with 1x not only is it not processing AA but it's not processing the full resolution either.  No wonder they can infer huge jumps in performance from questionable increases in cuda core count.

Personally it's really good it can do both, one or the other would kind of suck.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Personally it's really good it can do both, one or the other would kind of suck.

I am not gonna lie here. I try to be as neutral as possible,.. but the inner nerd in me is kinda freaking out about this.

If they can deliver pictures that look like 4k, even tho they are not rendered at 4k,... that is pure genius. 

To make an analogy:

In a time where more horses to drag the cart is not always easily possible,... they started to reduce the weight of the cart while maintaining the load it can handle.

Can this... for example,... deliver 8k pictures and only render them in 4k? I mean, those cards can handle 4k@60, right? This could be a huge bang when people freak out about missing performance and suddenly they deliver 8k on a single GPU. Kinda fake 8k, but still. Damn.

Just pure genius. Chapeau!

Does anyone know of any up to date software like Nvidia Inspector? It's obviously a bit early to assume anything, but if you can currently force a game to use the SLI profile of another with third party software, then I wonder if you could force DLSS on with a not-ideal-but-technically-functional profile on unsupported games.

Hopefully they don't 100% lock the setting into GFE.

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

wasn't today that the embargo lifted?

Yeah I think so, I expect that in few hours or maybe afternoon my YT sub feed will explode. Unless it's something like 7pm Pacific Time then RIP for Europe :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

@asus killer I did a little digging and apparently according to reddit, previous Pascal launch pattern and Videocardz leak it's going to be 6am Pacific, so in less than 2 hours from now. The hype is real.

Sure, not 100% confirmed but it's a solid bet.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones