Another one bites the dust. OnePlus to remove headphone jack from 6T

Bouzoo
4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Last, fuck off with that “we need space” reason. Samsung was able to cram a battery that’s 20+% larger than its immediate predecessor and yet was able to have water resistance, a headphone jack and even a slot for a damn stylus in a package that is barely different from its predecessor that isn’t a firebomb.

We should be thankful Samsung doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe. They'd be able to make a first generation Death Star the size of a Venator class Star Destroyer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Everyone who has removed the headphone jack has reasoned that it's because it frees up space. Literally everyone. Do you all actually think all the phone manufacturing companies conspired and thought this as an easy way to milk out more money from consumers. No.

Except the Galaxy Note9 exists 

Which itself is a huge middle finger to statements of removing the jack for the sake of space. 

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

How are they in wireless? They should be among the best. 

They are among the best. But it still suffers from the typical Bluetooth quirks. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Except the Galaxy Note9 exists 

Which itself is a huge middle finger to statements of removing the jack for the sake of space. 

You do realise that the note is a much more expensive device to manufacture and samsung can actually put in more expensive but smaller components in it (Like how Apple put double sided PCB on the X). OnePlus on the other hand, uses off the shelf components to maintain their price tag. Plus, the note is also, physically a lot larger I believe

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I respect your unpopular opinion so here's my 2 cents.

Adapters are a problem. Just look at other USB-C thread about literal locking of USB-C headphones and adapters to brands and horrible inplementations as in setting you need to enable to make some cross-work. The problem is not only having USB-C alone, it's OEMs saying it's the replacement for 3.5mm jack. It's not. Unless we get 2nd USB-C port, it is not a replacement. It's just removal. 

It's the only analog thing in the phone? First, we don't have single good USB-C headphones (afaik) that can compete even with mid range regular ones, and even when we got them some distant day, people will still want 2 jacks, no adapters. Bluetooth sound will never be superior, and I'm sure headphone jack will become obsolete, but only because it's the new tech. 

Space argument is nonsense. We aren't getting bigger batteries of it, extra tech, nothing. Note 9 has 3.5mm jack, Pen and 4000 mah battery and IP68. V30 has headphone jack, awesome DAC to take extra space, 3300mah and is IP68, both have 80%+ screen to body ratio. V40 will add 2 more cameras, have even higher ratio (obviously, freaking notch), and still have headphone jack. And we can not use space as arguments, since phones are just becoming bigger and bigger. IPhone 7 Plus is 5.5", iPhone XS Max is 6.5". Someone tell me what extra we got with all that space. Same goes for others. 

Reason why everyone need to agree on same standards and cross support between brands with no issues, but just working. Not a replacement as in you want to charge your phone and listen to music? I mean, like how many people actually do that often really? Not many. Asus ROG phone haves regular Type-C along with is it extra two no? Or that just works with their accessory? Which does provide another Type-C and 3.5mm jack as well. Maybe we could see future phones have two Type-C who knows. 

As far as very good headphones, I'm not sure, for them to be more available USB-C needs to become more widespread. Using adapter with a good quality headphones shouldn't degrade the sound quality if made properly. I was mainly thinking about earbuds which is what people mostly use with phones. As said before, we may see 2 connectors on some phones but really doesn't seem a big deal. 

I mean USB-C does take less space than 3.5mm jack though. I'm not saying it's the primary reason, like how Apple stated to put that feedback engine or whatever. Obviously it's not too big of a difference. It made it that they don't need regular micro USB and a 3.5mm together. Rest of tech upgrades depends on company regardless, Note 9 is great, for that size, pen, 4000mAh is nice, but nothing specially really for that size, there are phones with bigger batteries than that and are smaller. Counting extra screen to body ration with a notch sides of display is a lame tactic companies use. They count the display ears by notch as full display. I'm not saying that these companies couldn't necessarily fit the jack but they choose not to. Before the Type-C started to come on phones it was said that transition will be painful and long. The iPhone XS Max is not bigger physically bigger, it's just that display is larger.

Maybe one day we'll see a perfect phone with combination of all the best from various brands, but feels far fetched. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

You do realise that the note is a much more expensive device to manufacture and samsung can actually put in more expensive but smaller components in it (Like how Apple put double sided PCB on the X). OnePlus on the other hand, uses off the shelf components to maintain their price tag. Plus, the note is also, physically a lot larger I believe

Except guess who owns them? Oppo, and they're no small fry. A lot of the hardware they use come from them, and a lot of them are custom tailored specifically for Oppo devices like the camera sensor among other things. 

I'm willing to bet they can pull off the same feat Samsung did if they actually tried. They don't want to, however. 

Your statement also doesn't account for premium priced devices with no headphone jacks even though they have the space for one. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

Everyone who has removed the headphone jack has reasoned that it's because it frees up space. .

And in case of the 6T, it seems worth it as they have increased the battery and included cutting edge stuff like in screen fingerprint reader. For me, it seems worth that little inconvenience 

Boh of these are bad arguments. First, what was the space used for? Seriously? If Samsung and LG can fit bigger batteries, while not or basically minimally increasing the phone size, so can others. Secondly, phones are getting much, much bigger, and we're not getting almost (read: none) tech to fit that gap. Arguments about the barometer or vibrating motor are nonsense because others have them, with the headphone jack! Also, guess what, the Vivo x20 Plus UD, the first phone with in-screen fingerprint reader has the headphone jack. So much about that. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Also, guess what, the Vivo x20 Plus UD, the first phone with in-screen fingerprint reader has the headphone jack. So much about that. 

The funny thing is that Vivo is owned by the same company that owns Oppo and OnePlus 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Not only that, but everything they "copied" from Apple was either in development prior to Apple or other large OEMs already did it before Apple.

No, Samsung is known for copying all of Apple's successful features blatantly. Siri, S Voice ; fingerprint reader; Apple Pay, samsung pay, dual cameras and portrait mode; 64-bit, AR Emoji (Animoji), AR, etc. Sure all of these are not features Apple invented but all of them came out right after Apple did. Samsung even does things based on rumours like bezelless design (iPhone X was rumoured from 2015) and Apple Watch (which the gear line prior to AW was a huge fail)

But to be fair to samsung, these days they do try to implement their own new things like Iris scanner, heart rate and still employ requested features like SD card and headphone jack

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

came out right after Apple did.

Which is why Samsung couldn't have copied these features. R&D takes to long for Samsung to instantly copy features.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

No, Samsung is known for copying all of Apple's successful features blatantly. Siri, S Voice ; fingerprint reader; Apple Pay, samsung pay, dual cameras and portrait mode; 64-bit, AR Emoji (Animoji), AR, etc. Sure all of these are not features Apple invented but all of them came out right after Apple did. Samsung even does things based on rumours like bezelless design (iPhone X was rumoured from 2015) and Apple Watch (which the gear line prior to AW was a huge fail)

But to be fair to samsung, these days they do try to implement their own new things like Iris scanner, heart rate and still employ requested features like SD card and headphone jack

I'm pretty sure a lot of the things they "copied" are just natural evolution. 

Apple were among the first to release a 64-bit capable iPhone but only in 2015 did we officially see the first few Android phones with ARM64 support. 

And the bezel less design was going to happen eventually. Remember the S6 Edge? That was a taste of the S8's design. 

Every company takes inspiration and ideas from each other. I just stopped caring. 

Apple charges much more for iPhone XS Max than the price of Note and is few mm smaller than Note, iPhone X costed more 9 than iirc, the smaller storage version. What the hell are we talking about here? It is more expensive to produce? It costs (median) of 250 euros more. And has less functions and components to fit in. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Remember the S6 Edge? That was a taste of the S8's design. 

Note Edge....

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Boh of these are bad arguments. First, what was the space used for? Seriously? If Samsung and LG can fit bigger batteries, while not or basically minimally increasing the phone size, so can others. Secondly, phones are getting much, much bigger, and we're not getting almost (read: none) tech to fit that gap. Arguments about the barometer or vibrating motor are nonsense because others have them, with the headphone jack! Also, guess what, the Vivo x20 Plus UD, the first phone with in-screen fingerprint reader has the headphone jack. So much about that. 

Apple does it out of arrogance. Everyone knows that. If they wanted they could. But it's not the same with OnePlus where they don't have the luxury to use extremely high end components that make the footprint smaller.

Second, Samsung and LG have their own battery labs. Not OnePlus. Nor will they even be able to afford a high density cell, given the price.

Third, since you mentioned vibration motors, Apple's Taptic Engine is something everyone should copy. It's a lot bigger, but it makes 3D Touch convincing enough and the phone doesn’t vibrate like a 80s car

36 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not at all. Each aspect that is "copied" has shown patents submitted months before Apple released the product. Designs are not put into phones within weeks of a release of another product. Shit takes almost a year to get it into production. So this "blatant copying" that the Tab copied a few weeks later is bullshit. 

Er, no.  You genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

Here's the original Tab 10.1 design.  I even used it myself.  It was chunky, textured and felt more distinct from the iPad, even if there was a whiff of iPadness to it.  And... here's the redesign from just weeks later, after the iPad 2 introduction.  That's not the result of patenting; that's not something Samsung had ready to go months in advance.  It literally saw the iPad 2, panicked, and rushed an external redesign to offer something closer to what Apple had.  It had to delay the release of the tablet from March to June as a result.

Most design changes aren't that quick, and the only reason Samsung could get away with a rapid turnaround for the Tab 10.1 was because it didn't have to dramatically reshuffle the electronics inside.    Sometimes it does already have ideas in the works, but not all the time -- other times it really is just scrambling to match Apple feature-for-feature.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Note Edge....

The Note Edge did it differently. I'd say the S6 was much closer due to its dual curved look. 

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The Note Edge did it differently. I'd say the S6 was much closer due to its dual curved look. 

But not that differently.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

But not that differently.

Quite a bit still, though. 

It was more for a functional purpose rather than aesthetics. It was much more obvious too compared to the S6's generally more subtle appearance. 

I still faintly remember using both the Note Edge and the S6 edge+. They were awkward to hold especially since I used them naked 

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Apple charges much more for iPhone XS Max than the price of Note and is few mm smaller than Note, iPhone X costed more 9 than iirc, the smaller storage version. What the hell are we talking about here? It is more expensive to produce? It costs (median) of 250 euros more. And has less functions and components to fit in. 

We're talking about OnePlus here, not Apple. Apple can put a 3.5mm jack if they wanted but they won't because that's how they usually end up strong arming the industry forward (Floppy, CDs, and now all non-c and headphone jack)

I'm pretty sure a lot of the things they "copied" are just natural evolution. 

Apple were among the first to release a 64-bit capable iPhone but only in 2015 did we officially see the first few Android phones with ARM64 support. 

Well because Apple's 64-bit surprise blindsided everyone including Samsung and qualcomm. You can see plenty of articles regarding the same and I believe Samsun's chief announced 20 min after the Apple even that they’ll be implementing 64 bit in their future devices

And the bezel less design was going to happen eventually. Remember the S6 Edge? That was a taste of the S8's design. 

You mean curved screen? It wasn't bezelless. Yes, it would’ve happened eventually but c'mon don't you see how the S8 came right before the iPhone X. THis has always been the case with Samsung.

Every company takes inspiration and ideas from each other. I just stopped caring. 

They do,m including Apple and I'm not going to deny that. But my response was towards that person who was saying Samsung just coincidentally developed all those features right before Apple stepped in

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

We're talking about OnePlus here, not Apple. Apple can put a 3.5mm jack if they wanted but they won't because that's how they usually end up strong arming the industry forward (Floppy, CDs, and now all non-c and headphone jack)

Floppies and CDs, I'll give you. But the tech industry doesn't decide the fate of the 3.5mm jack, the audio industry does.

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

but c'mon don't you see how the S8 came right before the iPhone X. 

Uh, I don't think the S8's launch was influenced by the iPhone X. 

They look nothing like each other and have significantly different characteristics. 

It launched months before the X as well, so it wasn't right before. 

That doesn't mean Samsung didn't take some inspiration from others. Damn BIXBYE... 

You mean curved screen? It wasn't bezelless. Yes, it would’ve happened eventually but c'mon don't you see how the S8 came right before the iPhone X. THis has always been the case with Samsung.

What is the point you are trying to make? Saying Samsung copies a design before the other is released? Even then the S8 and X are not remotely similar.

X mostly resemble the Essential phone which was release months before the X. 

2 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Floppies and CDs, I'll give you. But the tech industry doesn't decide the fate of the 3.5mm jack, the audio industry does.

Huh? OKay, death of 3.5mm jack on phones then

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Uh, I don't think the S8's launch was influenced by the iPhone X. 

They look nothing like each other and have significantly different characteristics. 

It launched months before the X as well, so it wasn't right before. 

Bezelless characteristic. Apple's 10th anniversary bezelless iPhone rumours began in 2015 itself. Samsung just one upped them. They also did this with smartwatch. The same thing had happened with 3D Touch by a Chinese company, but it was terrible compared to Apple's version with Taptic Engine (which no one seems to have been able to mimic yet)

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

What is the point you are trying to make? Saying Samsung copies a design before the other is released? Even then the S8 and X are not remotely similar.

X mostly resemble the Essential phone which was release months before the X. 

There were other phones launched before the S8 which had the "bezel-less" appearance too 

Like the MI Mix and the LG G6

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

There were other phones launched before the S8 which had the "bezel-less" appearance too 

Like the MI Mix and the LG G6

Dont forget Sharp's Aquos in 2014. This was a working phone too, not just a rumor. 

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Bezelless characteristic. Apple's 10th anniversary bezelless iPhone rumours began in 2015 itself. 

Even then, it's not an explicit copy because it's a general design idea that anyone can use. 

A Sharp phone from 2014 had that bezel-less appearance which was then emulated by the 2016 Xiaomi Mi Mix. LG also launched the G6 before the S8 was unveiled. The Google Pixel 2 XL shared that similar design ethos with the S8 too. 

If anything, it was after the release of the iPhone X that everyone copied it, specifically that notch. The only holdout in the high end space as of now is......Samsung.