Another one bites the dust. OnePlus to remove headphone jack from 6T

Bouzoo

those who are mad because manufacturers are removing audio jack clearly never had one of these bad boys

charger, audio, data transfer and modem into one port

and that damn browser next to the select key...

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

those who are mad because manufacturers are removing audio jack clearly never had one of these bad boys

I had it. It's not only them though. Almost the same for old Nokia N series. Had those as well. Similar story. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I had it. It's not only them though. Almost the same for old Nokia N series. Had those as well. Similar story. 

Seems like we've come full circle. 

Except instead of different proprietary ports, we have one proprietary port and one universal port with a dizzying number of broken implementations. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, aezakmi said:

then...

he came.

71DOl9V2C9L._SX466_.jpg

in his matte, stainless steel galore.

4 GI.GA. bytes of memory for a whooping theoretical 3000 songs

A toshiba DAC paired with an Harman Kardon Amp making it one of the loudest mp3 player, without compromising sound quality, and capable of driving high impedance headphones.

Stuff introduced all the way back in 2005, that only got beat in 2016 by LG with the V10.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That's objectively false.

Given that the 4 year old phone still has the horsepower do do everything asked and then some, is still getting updates, and won't cease to work just from being old, it's a rather good option.

Horsepower? What horsepower? iPhone 6 and below have donkeypower at best. 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

On 9/13/2018 at 10:27 PM, GoodBytes said:

expect Samsung to follow suit

Next year's Galaxy S10 might not have a notch but it might lack the headphone jack

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Psst, just get the oneplus 6 instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 9/14/2018 at 6:35 PM, Drak3 said:

It's just a load of BS. Every reason given for the removal (except for Sony's reasoning), doesn't hold up: Samsung has been capable of pushing bigger batteries and expanding tech into their phones without removing the jack or making their phones massive (relative to past iterations in the context of the Note line, relative to the competition for the S line).

I don't remember, what was Sony's justification for it? As I recall, they were pretty big proponents of traditional analog audio, pushing their "Hi-Res" Audio certification everywhere; On their headphones, speakers, and especially their own smartphone lineup. They do have the whole LDAC deal to push on the subject of wireless audio though.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:14 AM, Bouzoo said:

I am sure their sales will drop massively

Very unlikely. Adding a notch didn't hurt their sales.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 9/13/2018 at 9:16 AM, rcmaehl said:

I mean it least it has a REASONABLE notch and a in-screen fingerprint reader. I'll personally be going with the Razer Phone 2 though because large dual speakers.

No notch is reasonable.

57 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Very unlikely. Adding a notch didn't hurt their sales.

Exactly, adding. This time they removed. We're talking about a niche brand when compared to others that is not widely recognizable by you average joe. People that bought OP always went for the bang for the buck, not because it was the best phone, because it never was. We are getting altetnatives to OP now that do support the headphone jack. They need everything they could use, also look my first post and the tweet from OP CEO. 

7 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Exactly, adding. This time they removed. We're talking about a niche brand when compared to others that is not widely recognizable by you average joe. People that bought OP always went for the bang for the buck, not because it was the beat phone, because it neber was. We are getting altetnatives to OP now that do support the headphone jack. They need everything they could use, also look my first post and the tweet from OP CEO. 

This, and the fact that their prices have crept up every iteration, to the point where the "flagship killer" will eventually become just another flagship in a very saturated market.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Exactly, adding. This time they removed. We're talking about a niche brand when compared to others that is not widely recognizable by you average joe. People that bought OP always went for the bang for the buck, not because it was the best phone, because it never was. We are getting altetnatives to OP now that do support the headphone jack. They need everything they could use, also look my first post and the tweet from OP CEO. 

Adding the notch removed part of the screen. That's why it's controversial. They also removed the physical home button.

I'm sure it will have some effect on sales, but it won't be massive. They'll lose some customers, but they're also making changes that will bring more mainstream customers in.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

45 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Adding the notch removed part of the screen. That's why it's controversial. They also removed the physical home button.

I'm sure it will have some effect on sales, but it won't be massive. They'll lose some customers, but they're also making changes that will bring more mainstream customers in.

Notch doesn't remove the screen, it expands it. It removes the bezel is what it does and is the cheapest trick to increase screen to phone ratio. Find me one phone whose predecessor had a screen where the notch is. Then look at G6/G7 and tell me what you see. Then look at Mate 10 Pro and then P20 Pro. Then go for One plus until you see a pattern. It's controversial because the screen is not rectangle shaped anymore, and now looks like it has a "cut". 

There is nothing wrong with removing physical home button. But they removed the button to the back. Can't comment if it's physical or just a scanner. 

I reckon they will lose enough, if we're to believe the communities, which are less than happy. Have been following this topic very closely since it leaked. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Notch doesn't remove the screen, it expands it. It removes the bezel is what it does and is the cheapest trick to increase screen to phone ratio. Find me one phone whose predecessor had a screen where the notch is. Then look at G6/G7 and tell me what you see. Then look at Mate 10 Pro and then P20 Pro. Then go for One plus until you see a pattern. It's controversial because the screen is not rectangle shaped anymore, and now looks like it has a "cut".

It's because some apps try to use all the screen space and are therefore missing part of the image. OnePlus manages it pretty well though (I've only had a couple apps actually do that, and I think it was a glitch in the beta), which is why I was willing to buy the phone despite its inclusion.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

There is nothing wrong with removing physical home button. But they removed the button to the back. Can't comment if it's physical or just a scanner. 

I reckon they will lose enough, if we're to believe the communities, which are less than happy. Have been following this topic very closely since it leaked. 

LOL do you even own a OnePlus phone? It sounds like you're just parroting stuff you heard from a forum.

When they announced they would have a notch in the 6 model, the community had the same "I'll never buy a OnePlus product again" outcry. People made baseless claims about sales tanking, just like you. Despite all that, it's a great selling phone.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

When they announced they would have a notch in the 6 model, the community had the same "I'll never buy a OnePlus product again" outcry. People made baseless claims about sales tanking, just like you. Despite all that, it's a great selling phone.

It is imo one of the best phones out there, with notch or not, I am not arguing that. I never said it was bad, and I never will. I said there are better phones out there and that is the truth. People have been crying about notch, and for a good reason imo, and so have I, but I managed to get a phone that suits me without the notch, while others didn't. Yes, I've seen the outrage when it was announced, and I figured it would sell and it did. After all, they didn't remove any functionality, they extended the screen with it. They just made it uglier. This is a different beast though, they have removed a functionality, which as far as I could see, is more than important for OP users. As I said, look at the pool from OP CEO himself if you don't believe me. While it is my subjective thinking it will sell much worse, with new flagship killers like Poco F1 which have the headphone jack, OP is putting them in a bad spot. I don't have the phone, I tried it, but it wasn't for me, hence why I opted for LG V30. On the other hand, you own it as ypu said, but you don't even know what the hell notch really is. So tell me who is parroting what they heard on the forum.

Stop worshipping a brand and defend dumb ideas because you own the phone. This is bad move for OP as well. 

Main difference with the notch and the headphone jack. 

They had the option to "hide" the notch and it was mostly fine after that. 

With the headphone jack, it's likely going to be a mess given Android OEMs. I think that headphone jack is going to be a much harder pill to swallow than a notch. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I don't get it. Removing a headphone jack brings more mainstream customers in? 

That's just......I don't know. 

6 hours ago, Magnetorheological said:

what was Sony's justification for it?

They didn't like how the headphone looked on their "new phone design."

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, Bouzoo said:

And of those only Samsung has the headphone jack. 

It's sad when my only option for phone upgrades now is Samsung...

No notch, and with headphone jack. Is that so hard?...

Eagerly waiting for the S10 to be unveiled. If it has a notch or ditched the jack. Guess I'll be getting the S9.

28 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They didn't like how the headphone looked on their "new phone design."

Much like that one answer Sony gave when someone asked why their phones don’t have hardware image stabilization

”We don’t like camera bumps”

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Much like that one answer Sony gave when someone asked why their phones don’t have hardware image stabilization

”We don’t like camera bumps”

Given the resolution of the cameras, there's enough sensor space to do it with software.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

39 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Given the resolution of the cameras, there's enough sensor space to do it with software.

They could have easily used that answer. 

Nope, they just said "no camera bumps". Not "we can use software to emulate that" 

10 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

It is imo one of the best phones out there, with notch or not, I am not arguing that. I never said it was bad, and I never will. I said there are better phones out there and that is the truth. People have been crying about notch, and for a good reason imo, and so have I, but I managed to get a phone that suits me without the notch, while others didn't. Yes, I've seen the outrage when it was announced, and I figured it would sell and it did. After all, they didn't remove any functionality, they extended the screen with it. They just made it uglier. This is a different beast though, they have removed a functionality, which as far as I could see, is more than important for OP users. As I said, look at the pool from OP CEO himself if you don't believe me. While it is my subjective thinking it will sell much worse, with new flagship killers like Poco F1 which have the headphone jack, OP is putting them in a bad spot. I don't have the phone, I tried it, but it wasn't for me, hence why I opted for LG V30. On the other hand, you own it as ypu said, but you don't even know what the hell notch really is. So tell me who is parroting what they heard on the forum.

Stop worshipping a brand and defend dumb ideas because you own the phone. This is bad move for OP as well. 

What the hell are you talking about? You don't even own a OnePlus product.

I don't like that they're removing the headphone jack. I probably won't buy another one of their phones (although who knows how I'll feel in two years) but that doesn't mean their sales will tank.

9 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I don't get it. Removing a headphone jack brings more mainstream customers in? 

That's just......I don't know. 

Because it's more like an iPhone. I know it sounds stupid, and that's because it is. Practical customers will definitely be driven off, but it also attracts the people who don't like wired headphones and like Apple clones.

This points to them not wanting to be a niche product anymore. It's a shift in marketing that's been used by lots of other companies and is successful.

6 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

What the hell are you talking about? You don't even own a OnePlus product.

I don't like that they're removing the headphone jack. I probably won't buy another one of their phones (although who knows how I'll feel in two years) but that doesn't mean their sales will tank.

Because it's more like an iPhone. I know it sounds stupid, and that's because it is. Practical customers will definitely be driven off, but it also attracts the people who don't like wired headphones and like Apple clones.

This points to them not wanting to be a niche product anymore. It's a shift in marketing that's been used by lots of other companies and is successful.

So you can argue about a product only if you own it. That's a first one. 

They will bring more customers in by removing the headphone jack? Because this way they are not a niche product anymore? Wow. This logic is amazing. You show me one phone that sold more that is not an iPhone after it removed the headphone jack. One. Actually I can think of only one. P20 Pro, but that one sold for a completely different reason. But show me a source that backs up you claim 

It won't bring any new customers because of that. They always had that kind of functionality, they are just removing an existing one.

The reason they are doing it is because the shell they are using from Oppo R17 for the phone doesn't have the headphone jack. As far as I can remember that was never previously the case, they must've been able to do something about it. It's called greed what they are doing. 

They want not to be a niche market... they are becoming more niche than they ever were. Jesus christ your logic is messed up.