Another one bites the dust. OnePlus to remove headphone jack from 6T

Bouzoo
18 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Huh? OKay, death of 3.5mm jack on phones then

Even Apple doesn't decide that because not many people actually buy these expensive flagship phones (much less a $1000 flagship!). Most people prefer cheaper mid-ranged ones.

Many of which still have the 3.5mm jack.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Snap

I think all USB-C are usable on ROG, so kudos to them. 

Not a single dongle afaik has a good DAC in them, correct me if I'm wrong. 

Note 9 has a Stylus, which is not small? Takes a lot of space. IPhone XS Max is few mm smaller, 4 I think. Has a bigger screwn than Note as well. And nor Samsung nor mentioned LG have notch, so it's a proper screen. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Meanwhile my LG V30 not only has a headphone jack, they actually embrace it with audio enhancements.

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

dual cameras

You mean the ones that LG G5 introduced? Wide or not, that was the first idea of 2 cameras. 

Third, since you mentioned vibration motors, Apple's Taptic Engine is something everyone should copy. It's a lot bigger, but it makes 3D Touch convincing enough and the phone doesn’t vibrate like a 80s car

I personally wasn't impressed it by it on my gfs 6S, but that's just me. Some android phones have great vibrating motors, don't be fooled. Big name flagships usually. 

Bezelless characteristic. Apple's 10th anniversary bezelless iPhone rumours began in 2015 itself. Samsung just one upped them. 

The hell? Sharp was the one who started it. They released it in 2014.

Next thing you'll tell me that iPhone was the first to remove the headphone jack. 

6 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Meanwhile my LG V30 not only has a headphone jack, they actually embrace it with audio enhancements.

And no bezel. And a rather good camera if you use GCam instead of default shite. 

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

for Xiaomi, as long as this page keeps growing the stay on the list

https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/how-to

As concerned Nokia... the thread count on every phone doesn't look good

Their CEO reached out on twitter how to get custom ROMs for it, people told him whom to give free phones for development and who to reach out to, he said no problem. We'll see. High hopes for that one. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

I think all USB-C are usable on ROG, so kudos to them. 

Not a single dongle afaik has a good DAC in them, correct me if I'm wrong. 

Note 9 has a Stylus, which is not small? Takes a lot of space. IPhone XS Max is few mm smaller, 4 I think. Has a bigger screwn than Note as well. And nor Samsung nor mentioned LG have notch, so it's a proper screen. 

Not sure, haven't look much into it, but I think Razer one and HTC too have a good one. Though also many phones with 3.5mm don't have anything special too.

How LG does it is nice, I wonder how they'll continue. Also wasn't the new LG phone going to have notch though? V series? And was thinking about iPhone as far as display measurement, doubt they have the largest screen cause they measure it wrong, they measure the extended display by the notch. Which is wrong cause where the notch is that part is not a display, I don't count those display ears by the notch as part of the display.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Quite a bit still, though. 

It was more for a functional purpose rather than aesthetics. It was much more obvious too compared to the S6's generally more subtle appearance. 

I still faintly remember using both the Note Edge and the S6 edge+. They were awkward to hold especially since I used them naked 

Tbh the note edge was a test platform for the curved edge and its swipe functions baked into the already impressive note series.....And I loved every minute I used it until I lost it and got a pixel xl as an upgrade. So I agree, quite a bit different to today's curved bezel-less displays. Mines wasn't that bad to hold, tho I do have bigger than avg hands I guess. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

You're joking, right?  It does go its own way in many areas, but this is the company notorious for waiting to see what Apple does and then knocking out an equivalent.  Fingerprint readers, dual cameras, NFC payments...

NFC payments, fingerprint readers and dual cameras are an industry trend, not something one company introduced and the other companies copied.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There is one thing that most of you aren't considering - the huge variation in Type-C port standard.

With issues like this, switching to USB Type-C is a crap-shoot. You'll never know what you're getting out the box. Until all USB Type-C ports are of the following base spec's:

• USB 3.1 or higher (data transfer speeds)
  • either DisplayPort+Ethernet, 2 PCI-e lanes, and/or Thunderbolt 3
  • at least 12W of power transfer, for decent charging speeds
  • built-in circuitry to detect device electrical requirements

And all smartphones start coming with features like this:

• NFC (not all phones have this feature - I would know this)
  • bi-directional wireless charging (phone can charge itself and nearby *paired* peripherals)
  • (true 4G) LTE and above, along with 802.11a/g/n or 802.11ax

I'm not touching Type-C only devices with even a 12-ft. pole. Even if you get a dongle, it's not guaranteed to work as expected. This is a major issue, and pretty much kills the idea of USB Type-C being the magic bullet that we had hoped it would be for the Android platform. The physical construction of the Type-C port lends itself to certain issues as well. As of now, I'm not convinced that we can ditch the headphone jack. Besides, there are peripherals that still depend on that jack, other than just audio equipment (as noted by a friend I just talked to on Discord)...

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple can put a 3.5mm jack if they wanted but they won't because that's how they usually end up strong arming the industry forward (Floppy, CDs, and now all non-c and headphone jack)

Any company that thinks it's their job to strong arm the industry forward rather than giving consumers the choice is not doing us any favors, they are a dictatorial company forcing what suits them best. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

You mean the ones that LG G5 introduced? Wide or not, that was the first idea of 2 cameras.  

Actually, way before 

HTC One M8 + HTC Evo 3D

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Welp, probably wont be buying a 6T then. I wasn't exactly expecting to but I really loved my 3T before it died. I really wish OnePlus wouldnt just re-use the oppo chassis and not mill out a fucking headphone jack hole. Oneplus exists as a separate company for a reason, it doesn't need to be literally the same product

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

34 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Welp, probably wont be buying a 6T then. I wasn't exactly expecting to but I really loved my 3T before it died. I really wish OnePlus wouldnt just re-use the oppo chassis and not mill out a fucking headphone jack hole. Oneplus exists as a separate company for a reason, it doesn't need to be literally the same product

I guess that's how they save costs? 

By using a chassis and tech their parent company made. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I guess that's how they save costs? 

By using a chassis and tech their parent company made. 

They could mill a fucking hole in it. If they still had the flagship killer price I could believe that excuse

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

30 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

They could mill a fucking hole in it. If they still had the flagship killer price I could believe that excuse

Eh. OnePlus has mostly been nothing but an absolute joke in my eyes sans the OP3/3T.

10 hours ago, germgoatz said:

I was planning on getting the 6T so this is a huge dissapointment. However, I'm still (most likely) going to buy it.

This is exactly why they do this. They know that everyone is going to hate on it, yet only a negligible percentage of people who hate it are going to be turned away by it.

Don't believe me?

iPhone 7 sales case and point: (6s was latest model in 2016, 7 was latest in 2017)

5b9b02da34228_ScreenShot2018-09-13at5_37_29PM.png.6bcbd668906b23e0332d7010cc6c516d.png

11 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Its the end times. The headphone jacks lived in harmony until the Apple nation attacked.

Someone needs to draw up a 3.5mm headphone jack waifu and/or loli to save the headphone jack.  Only they can save us now.

Maybe if people’s displeasure in the removal of the headphone jack was measured in sales, rather than selling more iPhones than every before, things would be different. Business dictates where technology goes, as this indicates the most consumers like the change.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Maybe if people’s displeasure in the removal of the headphone jack was measured in sales, rather than selling more iPhones than every before, things would be different. Business dictates where technology goes, as this indicates the most consumers like the change.

But that's an iPhone. An iPhone is a popular mainstream product. People will buy it regardless of change because they feel the pros outweigh the cons.

OnePlus is different in now they're a little more niche by comparison. They're typically bought by people who like high end hardware at a more attainable price point and are usually more knowledgeable and want that sort of stuff. So removing the headphone jack when they've actually been one of the better phones for audio lovers out there comes out as a bit of a dick move. 

Basically, many iPhone users don't really mind. But many OnePlus users are annoyed. 

1 minute ago, DaPhuc said:

I hate the dongle. 

I hate dongles that look the same but are so utterly broken in their implementation that they straight up aren't guaranteed to work 

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I hate dongles that look the same but are so utterly broken in their implementation that they straight up aren't guaranteed to work 

I hate the dongle because you have to have it in order to use your 3.5mm earpods/headphones, so if you lose the dongle you have to use the phone speakers or bluetooth sound devices ( assumed you have it with you ).  The dongle for 3.5mm sound devices is just too stupid to me, but Apple making tons of money out of it. Bluetooth sound devices are good alternative if you hate carry a dongle and your favorite 3,5mm earpods/headphones, but the problem with bluetooth sound devices are it easily run out of battery and your phone battery will suck up more juice from using bluetooth. 

I'll be sticking with my ancient Palm TX and my Motorola VU204 Flip phone

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

Haha, and yet, not surprising. After all, the phone they're basing theirs on didn't have one either. As the company grows, axing something like the headphone jack starts to make more sense from a monetary standpoint. At least, if they're trying to scrape and get as much return as they possibly can.

I can't say I care, though. OnePlus was dead to me the moment they showed off their "5.5" screen in a 5" phone's body"...and it turned out to be the same size as every other 5.5" phone, it just had a great price. They've been liars since the company started.

10 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Apple

Nokia (MS)

Samsung

Motorola

Google

Blackberry

Lenovo

LG

Honor

Huawei

One Plus

Nokia (HMD)

Xioami

Deciding where to get my next phone is getting easier

I'm pretty sure Blackberry still has headphone jacks on their phones :P

10 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

-snip-

And we can not use space as arguments, since phones are just becoming bigger and bigger. IPhone 7 Plus is 5.5", iPhone XS Max is 6.5". Someone tell me what extra we got with all that space. Same goes for others. 

To be fair the XS Max is smaller in overall size than the iPhone 7 Plus. IIRC Apple has said for a while now that they want to do away with cables entirely.

10 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I’m sorry, Carl, but “It’s the right time” is a terribly lame excuse for its removal.

-snip-

OnePlus, what are you even doing

Making full use of the shell of another phone so they can spend even less developing their T model ;)

10 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

No, Samsung is known for copying all of Apple's successful features blatantly. Siri, S Voice ; fingerprint reader; Apple Pay, samsung pay, dual cameras and portrait mode; 64-bit, AR Emoji (Animoji), AR, etc. Sure all of these are not features Apple invented but all of them came out right after Apple did. Samsung even does things based on rumours like bezelless design (iPhone X was rumoured from 2015) and Apple Watch (which the gear line prior to AW was a huge fail)

But to be fair to samsung, these days they do try to implement their own new things like Iris scanner, heart rate and still employ requested features like SD card and headphone jack

Apple wasn't the first to have a fingerprint reader. There were phones with fingerprint readers years before that.

Apple wasn't the first with dual cameras. Again, other phones had it before that.

64 bit operating systems weren't a Samsung issue, that's handled by Google. So. Kind of an irrelevant point.

Bezel reduction has been something all companies have been striving for. It's not something the did just because Apple said they were going to do it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red