Another one bites the dust. OnePlus to remove headphone jack from 6T

Bouzoo
2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

What he means is no notch, still has 3.5 mm jack, first used amoled, pen in note, (first in wireless charging?). They are not following everything Apple does, otherwise they'd have notch and no 3.5mm.

Not only that, but everything they "copied" from Apple was either in development prior to Apple or other large OEMs already did it before Apple.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not only that, but everything they "copied" from Apple was either in development prior to Apple or other large OEMs already did it before Apple.

At this point, Apple is still catching with optional hardware, per se. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Unpopular opinion, but I really don't care. I wouldn't mind having extra wire attached to my earbuds cable, means nothing. Also, Type-C is slowly but surely becoming a standard for many things, the slower the more painful. Many companies still feel scared to go full on with it cause they can't be sure others will follow as well and support will be much more global. We have peripherals that use it, cases and mobos, we just need everyone to use it and cases and mobos offer more connectors. Phones should just come with high quality USB-C buds too. 

People need to realize it's only matter of time until 3.5mm jack is completely phased out. It's the only analog connector that is left and takes unnecessary space. Type-C offers much more. As far as smartphone OEMs making DACs and their proprietary dongle BS that may be sub par or not work with others, that blame is on them. 

I wonder what will Samsung do with S10 next year. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Apple makes serious money on this

Even more now, all iPhone models currently being sold no longer include a lighting to 3.5mm dongle in the box. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Guess I'll be getting a 6 then

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Apple

Nokia (MS)

Samsung

Motorola

Google

Blackberry

Lenovo

LG

Honor

Huawei

One Plus

Nokia (HMD)

Xioami

Deciding where to get my next phone is getting easier

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Unpopular opinion, but I really don't care. I wouldn't mind having extra wire attached to my earbuds cable, means nothing. Also, Type-C is slowly but surely becoming a standard for many things, the slower the more painful. Many companies still feel scared to go full on with it cause they can't be sure others will follow as well and support will be much more global. We have peripherals that use it, cases and mobos, we just need everyone to use it and cases and mobos offer more connectors. Phones should just come with high quality USB-C buds too. 

People need to realize it's only matter of time until 3.5mm jack is completely phased out. It's the only analog connector that is left and takes unnecessary space. Type-C offers much more. As far as smartphone OEMs making DACs and their proprietary dongle BS that may be sub par or not work with others, that blame is on them. 

I wonder what will Samsung do with S10 next year. 

I respect your unpopular opinion so here's my 2 cents.

Adapters are a problem. Just look at other USB-C thread about literal locking of USB-C headphones and adapters to brands and horrible inplementations as in setting you need to enable to make some cross-work. The problem is not only having USB-C alone, it's OEMs saying it's the replacement for 3.5mm jack. It's not. Unless we get 2nd USB-C port, it is not a replacement. It's just removal. 

It's the only analog thing in the phone? First, we don't have single good USB-C headphones (afaik) that can compete even with mid range regular ones, and even when we got them some distant day, people will still want 2 jacks, no adapters. Bluetooth sound will never be superior, and I'm sure headphone jack will become obsolete, but only because it's the new tech. 

Space argument is nonsense. We aren't getting bigger batteries of it, extra tech, nothing. Note 9 has 3.5mm jack, Pen and 4000 mah battery and IP68. V30 has headphone jack, awesome DAC to take extra space, 3300mah and is IP68, both have 80%+ screen to body ratio. V40 will add 2 more cameras, have even higher ratio (obviously, freaking notch), and still have headphone jack. And we can not use space as arguments, since phones are just becoming bigger and bigger. IPhone 7 Plus is 5.5", iPhone XS Max is 6.5". Someone tell me what extra we got with all that space. Same goes for others. 

46 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's objectively false.

Remember the original Galaxy Tab 10.1?  No, the original Tab 10.1.  Samsung unveiled a tablet that looked somewhat like a chunky original iPad in January 2011... and then Apple unveiled the slimmer iPad 2.  Conveniently, weeks later, Samsung had a redesigned Tab 10.1 that looked more like the iPad 2.  Funny how that works, isn't it?

Then there's the Galaxy S5's fingerprint reader, which was clearly shoehorned in at the last minute because of the iPhone 5s... and there's Samsung Wallet, which was a knock-off of Apple's Wallet app down to some visual elements.  Samsung Pay?  Samsung bought LoopPay in February 2015 (months after Apple Pay premiered) and launched early service in August.

I have to make it clear: I'm not one of those people who thinks Samsung literally copies everything Apple does.  And there are frankly things Apple could stand to learn from Samsung.  But it has a long, demonstrated history of explicitly imitating rivals' features when it thinks they might help sell more hardware (hell, the BlackJack was an attempt to ride on the BlackBerry bandwagon).  I think Samsung could easily keep the headphone jack for the S10, but don't be surprised if it pulls a OnePlus and hops on a trend that Apple effectively started... like it or not.

9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Apple

Nokia (MS)

Samsung

Motorola

Google

Blackberry

Lenovo

LG

Honor

Huawei

One Plus

Nokia (HMD)

Xioami

Deciding where to get my next phone is getting easier

Nokia is one of the worst when it comes to unlocking bootloaders, better to say HMD is, so do note that when you consider them if you plan on rooting. Xiaomi I can not recommend due to EMUI/MIUI. It's horrible imo. 

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Then there's the Galaxy S5's fingerprint reader, which was clearly shoehorned in at the last minute because of the iPhone 5s... and there's Samsung Wallet, which was a knock-off of Apple's Wallet app down to some visual elements.  Samsung Pay?  Samsung bought LoopPay in February 2015 (months after Apple Pay premiered) and launched early service in August.

The thing is, Google launched Google wallet a year before Apple so if we're gonna argue copycats... 

Do you have a source for the fingerprint reader? It is not easy implementing such new tech in a phone just because competition. 

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

That's objectively false

Not at all. Each aspect that is "copied" has shown patents submitted months before Apple released the product. Designs are not put into phones within weeks of a release of another product. Shit takes almost a year to get it into production. So this "blatant copying" that the Tab copied a few weeks later is bullshit. 

31 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Guess I'll be getting a 6 then

I mean it’s technically still supported. But probably only for another year. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not at all. Each aspect that is "copied" has shown patents submitted months before Apple released the product. Designs are not put into phones within weeks of a release of another product. Shit takes almost a year to get it into production. So this "blatant copying" that the Tab copied a few weeks later is bullshit. 

The thing is, it's not only Samsung. When it comes to tablets, and only tablets, I would argue that most of them copied the iPad design. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

The thing is, it's not only Samsung. When it comes to tablets, and only tablets, I would argue that most of them copied the iPad design. 

Well I mean how else would a tablet be designed? There is a point where copying vs general logic of design becomes a dumb argument. 

I’m sorry, Carl, but “It’s the right time” is a terribly lame excuse for its removal.

Simply put, it’s a terrible time. USB-C is an absolute clusterfuck with a bazillion dongles and accessories with different implementations with no guarantee that it’ll work on every USB-C device. Unless OnePlus shows that it’s willing to ensure that it follows guidelines properly and makes USB-C accessories that work, I am not convinced in the slightest.

And wireless. I’m sorry, but has anyone seen BT 5.0 headphones lately? I love my 1000XM2s, but I still use the included 3.5mm cable because there are situations where it’s necessary. And before you talk about dongles, read above. BT 4.2 works fine but for high end options in 2018, I thought it would already be a thing. 

Last, fuck off with that “we need space” reason. Samsung was able to cram a battery that’s 20+% larger than its immediate predecessor and yet was able to have water resistance, a headphone jack and even a slot for a damn stylus in a package that is barely different from its predecessor that isn’t a firebomb.

OnePlus, what are you even doing

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

And wireless. I’m sorry, but has anyone seen BT 5.0 headphones lately? I love my 1000XM2s, but I still use the included 3.5mm cable because there are situations where it’s necessary. And before you talk about dongles, read above.

When is it necessary?

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well I mean how else would a tablet be designed? There is a point where copying vs general logic of design becomes a dumb argument. 

Google managed to do it with Nexus. Samsung was way to similar to iPad. But that's just me subjectively. And when I say similar, I mean basically the same. 

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

And wireless. I’m sorry, but has anyone seen BT 5.0 headphones lately? I love my 1000XM2s, but I still use the included 3.5mm cable because there are situations where it’s necessary. .

How are they in wireless? They should be among the best. 

I don't understand the logic behind some of comments here. 

Everyone who has removed the headphone jack has reasoned that it's because it frees up space. Literally everyone. Do you all actually think all the phone manufacturing companies conspired and thought this as an easy way to milk out more money from consumers. No.

Second, I don't think any companies including Apple sees this an opportunity in a long term to make money of dongles. Everyone including Apple is pushing for wireless and no one is forcing you to buy their own version.

Third, honestly most people don't care. People just leave the included dongle connected to their regular used earphones and a lot of people do opt for wireless. As a tech enthusiast myself, I also own a pair of wireless headphones and earphones and honestly, it's quite liberating from the wired solution. The only down side to dongle is that you wouldn’t be able to charge your phone, while people play PUBG and Fortnite these days, but that's just a short term issue IMO as soon as wireless gains a lot more traction and comes down in cost.

And in case of the 6T, it seems worth it as they have increased the battery and included cutting edge stuff like in screen fingerprint reader. For me, it seems worth that little inconvenience 

1 minute ago, Morgan Everett said:

When is it necessary?

I don't think it's ever necessary but it's been out for 1.5 years now and has improvements in audio and efficiency. 

Surely, higher end options should be able to have it? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

The thing is, Google launched Google wallet a year before Apple so if we're gonna argue copycats... 

Do you have a source for the fingerprint reader? It is not easy implementing such new tech in a phone just because competition. 

Google Wallet launched in 2011, not 2013, and used a fundamentally different approach to NFC payments.  The whole point of Samsung Pay was that it imitated Apple's particular method (and, to be fair, built on it with the whole LoopPay/MST addition).

On the Galaxy S5... well, it's a bit dodgy.  A Russian report claimed that the Note 3 was supposed to have a fingerprint scanner, but that Samsung couldn't find suppliers.  The problem is that there's no way of verifying that, and I've seen plenty of dodgy supplier claims in the past (Digitimes in particular is notorious for leaks that are half-accurate at best).  Let's put it this way: it's safe to say that Samsung at least wanted to be sure the S5 had a fingerprint reader to compete with the iPhone 5s, even if its technology was markedly inferior.

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Nokia is one of the worst when it comes to unlocking bootloaders, better to say HMD is, so do note that when you consider them if you plan on rooting. Xiaomi I can not recommend due to EMUI/MIUI. It's horrible imo. 

for Xiaomi, as long as this page keeps growing the stay on the list

https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/how-to

As concerned Nokia... the thread count on every phone doesn't look good

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>