TheBritishVillain

I have free electricity... What to mine?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have just realized that i have access to unlimited 'free' electricity...but only at night for approx 8 hours. - So i would have to regularly switch the miner on and off before i went to bed.

Bearing this in mind:

1.) What would be the best cypto to mine?

I have previously mined Ethereum before, but i also know that the whole cryptocurreny market is going down at the moment.

2.) What would be the best GPUs for the job?

I'm looking for the cheapest GPUs i can get that will give me a high hash rate. NOTE: You can completley ignore power consumption since this won't be a factor, however no more than 250w per GPU.

(No ASIC miners due to the noise they make compared to GPUs.)

(Also, when i say 'free' just assume i mean free. Do not question it.)

CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti MSI Duke (Incoming!!!)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

Don't mine, do Folding@Home. Yes, you don't earn money, but you can help research multiple diseases including cancer.

It doesn't help a ton, but it's a small fuck you to those diseases. I'd do that.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: i7-950 OC'd to 3.96GHz @ 1.325V Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Steelseries Arctis 5

lol why are you here, nobody is allowed to be here

The amount of money you get from mining still won't cover the cost of all the degradation you do to the lifespan of the hardware, even with free power.

Unless you're one of those people that sell the GPUs right before they die on craigslist and say "never been mined on!!!"

My sound system uses more power than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 DCUII | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 White | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Fractal Design Kelvin S24 | Ducky ONE RGB White TKL | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 55" TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II

24 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

you don't earn money

Foldingcoin and curecoin, while not worth a ton, are rewards for finishing work units.  Back in the day I made my first payday from folding. 

Sniff...sniff... takes me back to a simpler time....

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Don't mine, do Folding@Home. Yes, you don't earn money, but you can help research multiple diseases including cancer.

It doesn't help a ton, but it's a small fuck you to those diseases. I'd do that.

1 hour ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Foldingcoin and curecoin, while not worth a ton, are rewards for finishing work units.  Back in the day I made my first payday from folding. 

Sniff...sniff... takes me back to a simpler time....

So what exactly is folding? Medical research?

3 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

So what exactly is folding? Medical research?

Yep, basically distributed supercomputing for research purposes. Helps researchers that can't use dedicated supercomputers to find out problems that need a lot of compute to solve for disease research.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

The amount of money you get from mining still won't cover the cost of all the degradation you do to the lifespan of the hardware, even with free power.

Unless you're one of those people that sell the GPUs right before they die on craigslist and say "never been mined on!!!"

Do you have any evidence that they significantly degrade?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

49 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yep, basically distributed supercomputing for research purposes. Helps researchers that can't use dedicated supercomputers to find out problems that need a lot of compute to solve for disease research.

It would be nice, but since i would have to buy the graphics cards just to do the mining, my motivation would primarily be financial in order to get an ROI. 

If i already had the equipment, then i would certainly consider it.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you have any evidence that they significantly degrade?

Yeah like several years ago one of the sapphire employees, I think it was the ceo or something on a podcast, was talking about the huge amount of dead cards being sent in for warranty because they died from mining, and they lost a lot of money because they had no way of proving that it was mining and not regular failures.

My sound system uses more power than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 DCUII | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 White | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Fractal Design Kelvin S24 | Ducky ONE RGB White TKL | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 55" TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II

23 hours ago, Enderman said:

Yeah like several years ago one of the sapphire employees, I think it was the ceo or something on a podcast, was talking about the huge amount of dead cards being sent in for warranty because they died from mining, and they lost a lot of money because they had no way of proving that it was mining and not regular failures.

How do you know it wasn't from regular failures?

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

How do you know it wasn't from regular failures?

Because its obviously not regular to have massive amounts of dead GPUs get RMAd during the bitcoin mining craze.

Spoiler

16 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

With current crypto prices this isn't really feasible.  Especially only doing half days.  

Ah yes, but that's the thing, i have no variable costs because the electric is free!

If I bought 6x 1070s OR 6x 2070s, then mined with them for a year and then sold them, potentially a nice profit. - Especially if the Cryptocurrencies go back to normal.

Your parents are going to catch on pretty quickly that you're just running your mining rig over night.

Desktop: Xeon 1231-v3, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Rosewill 550w Capstone PSU, ASrock ITX Z97 board, Gigabyte 970, Phanteks Evolv ITX.

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel

Laptop: Eluktronics W650kk1, i7 7700K, 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti, 500GB WD SSD, 120Hz Asus Display

Laptop: Alienware 18 (2014). I7 4930MX @ 4.1GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB 840Evo, 1TB HDD, GTX 980m 8GB

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 mid 2016. I7 6700hq, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 970m 6GB.

Laptop: Origin Eon11s. i7 3820QM, GT 650M 2GB, 120GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 11.6in 768p display

12 hours ago, Enderman said:

Because its obviously not regular to have massive amounts of dead GPUs get RMAd during the bitcoin mining craze.

Your evidence is anecdotal at best.

On another note (at the OP), electricity isn't free just because you aren't the one paying for it. Don't be a dick.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your evidence is anecdotal at best.

On another note (at the OP), electricity isn't free just because you aren't the one paying for it. Don't be a dick.

It is not anecdotal, this is literally the company that makes GPUs saying that there was a massive increase in RMAs during the mining craze.

Their sample size is in the tens of thousands.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It is not anecdotal, this is literally the company that makes GPUs saying that there was a massive increase in RMAs during the mining craze.

Their sample size is in the tens of thousands.

But there's no actual hard evidence. That's why it's anecdotal. You don't know, for example, that they cheaped out on components, or that they didn't make up the whole thing.

I'm not saying you're wrong. There's definitely not enough hard evidence to say that you're right.  Even if you had more than "I heard second hand" as an argument, correlation and causation aren't equal.

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

But there's no actual hard evidence. That's why it's anecdotal. You don't know, for example, that they cheaped out on components, or that they didn't make up the whole thing.

I'm not saying you're wrong. There's definitely not enough hard evidence to say that you're right.  Even if you had more than "I heard second hand" as an argument, correlation and causation aren't equal.

Holy crap dude, how hard is it to understand that the huge increase in RMA was DURING the mining craze??

This isn't that the GPUs were badly designed, ALL manufacturers were having huge amounts of cards fail during the mining craze 5 years ago or whenever it was.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Holy crap dude, how hard is it to understand that the huge increase in RMA was DURING the mining craze??

This isn't that the GPUs were badly designed, ALL manufacturers were having huge amounts of cards fail during the mining craze 5 years ago or whenever it was.

1. The alleged increase in RMA's.
  2. You specifically said it was one company, Sapphire.

It's classic hasty generalization.  I understand what you're saying.  I just need more evidence than "there was an alleged RMA increase during the mining craze so therefore mining causes GPU's to fail."  You and I have fundamental differences on what we consider to be proof, so there's no point in continuing this further.

19 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:
  1. The alleged increase in RMA's.
  2. You specifically said it was one company, Sapphire.

It's classic hasty generalization.  I understand what you're saying.  I just need more evidence than "there was an alleged RMA increase during the mining craze so therefore mining causes GPU's to fail."  You and I have fundamental differences on what we consider to be proof, so there's no point in continuing this further.

If you want more evidence then there were also dozens or hundreds of posts about dead GPUs during the mining craze, plenty of dead cards being sold on the used market, etc.

My point is that a GPU manufacturer confirmed exactly what was happening, tons of people killing their cards due to mining.

If you don't want to believe it because for some reason you think mining is harmless or you weren't around at that time, that's your problem.

Spoiler

On 9/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, TheBritishVillain said:

I have just realized that i have access to unlimited 'free' electricity...but only at night for approx 8 hours. - So i would have to regularly switch the miner on and off before i went to bed.

Bearing this in mind:

1.) What would be the best cypto to mine?

I have previously mined Ethereum before, but i also know that the whole cryptocurreny market is going down at the moment.

2.) What would be the best GPUs for the job?

I'm looking for the cheapest GPUs i can get that will give me a high hash rate. NOTE: You can completley ignore power consumption since this won't be a factor, however no more than 250w per GPU.

(No ASIC miners due to the noise they make compared to GPUs.)

(Also, when i say 'free' just assume i mean free. Do not question it.)

If you want to mine I recommend the pool/service known as nicehash, you create a bitcoin wallet, install the miner, benchmark your rig, and then it will automatically select the most profitable cryptocurrency for your rig.

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

If you want more evidence then there were also dozens or hundreds of posts about dead GPUs during the mining craze, plenty of dead cards being sold on the used market, etc.

My point is that a GPU manufacturer confirmed exactly what was happening, tons of people killing their cards due to mining.

If you don't want to believe it because for some reason you think mining is harmless or you weren't around at that time, that's your problem.

Yes, mining does put a significant load on cards due to the fact that they are running 24/7, though most*  miners underclock their rigs to reduce power consumption, this does reduce the performance of the hardware, but it also improves power efficiency, so even though it is at load for extended periods of time it degrades the capacitor just as much or less than gaming would for those same periods of time, also these cards are constantly mining at a consistent load, reducing the thermal fatigue that a card goes through, unlike in games where each map, movement, animation, or etc. presents different challenges to the card, reducing or increasing the load constantly (unless you turn the limiter off), thereby increasing thermal fatigue on a card. 

Yes the RMAs did skyrocket, but that was due to the fact that the craze brought many more cards into the field, and gave them a trial by fire, bringing out the defects that would otherwise present themselves a year or three later in the life cycles of the cards. Another reason to explain the increased RMAs is  the fact that a it brought a ton more people into to OCing whom have never done that before, like this dude (go to 3:18 on the slider) who built a 70 card mining operation out of 1080 Tis, he burnt out 5 while attempting an OC, most people just buy a card, throw in there system and forget about it, but some people wanted to push their systems to the limit, and many of those people had never OCed before, and that resulted in quite a few more dead cards that ended up getting returned. 

(not all miners did some heavily OC their equipment)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

7 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

Your parents are going to catch on pretty quickly that you're just running your mining rig over night.

Lol, i live alone and have for 6+ years :P

7 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Profit > Being a dick tbh.

Buy a tesla home battery never pay for electricity again 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti (waiting for prices to drop to get a decent card) 
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA - 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync (AMD Adaptive Sync) Gaming Monitor, 1920 x 1080 Full HD, 144 Hz 

Keyboard: 1992 IBM model M(Dvorak)

Mouse: Logitech G502

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

22 hours ago, Vernw3.com said:

Buy a tesla home battery never pay for electricity again 

And be homeless when it eventually explodes and burns your house down xD