PSA: A reminder on why you should maintain copies of movies

WMGroomAK
Just now, Fullmental said:

MakeMKV.

Cinavia is embedded in the audio. You're not going to get rid of it by reencoding files or stripping video from a blu-ray/ISO.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Cinavia.

Losing a digital copy means something happened that renders the copy useless.

Losing a physical copy usually means that you misplaced it and can find it again.

I never knew about this, so if I RIP a BD then it will never play back on a BD player again?

Well with a abundance of smart TVs, and TV boxes you can easily play back a RIP over DLNA, usb or other means. (I have a plex server)

Both still need a backup, and digital is easier to make and store backups. They also take up less physical space.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

so if I RIP a BD then it will never play back on a BD player again?

The original BD will. Copies are very unlikely to, but some don't use Cinavia.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Both still need a backup, and digital is easier to make and store backups.

Not really. Digital usually comes with its own DRM. Whereas there are programs that can make 1:1 copies of blurays or just strip the content.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

They also take up less physical space.

That's not necessarily an issue.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

I can create copies of digital media and have it work on any device that has VLC available to it.

On the other hand, I can't create physical media and expect it to work on my blu ray players.

I can't lose the rights to use the media. If I lose my digital copy, I still have the physical copy.

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

Why can't you create physical media and have it work in a blu ray player, I can easily.

and about losing the digital copy, you can lose a physical one too, and both would be gone with out a back up. Its not like you can go back to the store with your receipt and get another for free.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Cinavia.

Losing a digital copy means something happened that renders the copy useless.

Losing a physical copy usually means that you misplaced it and can find it again.

Watch your language. Cinavia is a dirty word.

Losing a physical copy can include having it stolen, burned up in a fire, breaking it, etc. When properly backed up (including offsite backups), digital copies are far less likely to get lost than physical ones.

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

...Both still need a backup, and digital is easier to make and store backups. They also take up less physical space.

Exactly! And taking up less room can be a huge advantage, especially if one has a huge collection.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

...Digital usually comes with its own DRM. Whereas there are programs that can make 1:1 copies of blurays or just strip the content...

Exactly.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's not compressed to shit like most anime sites do, so there's that

Yeah it is pretty startling the jump in quality from streaming actually from something like a Roku

1 minute ago, LordOTaco said:

Yeah it is pretty startling the jump in quality from streaming actually from something like a Roku

To be fair, that's just animation in general on streaming services; even DVDs of The Simpsons look far better than streaming them off of something like Amazon Prime.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, LordOTaco said:

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's not compressed to shit like most anime sites do, so there's that

That's not due to compression. Streaming anime, you're getting the original rushed version meant for TV. They redo some of it for BluRay releases.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

That's not due to compression. Streaming anime, you're getting the original rushed version meant for TV. They redo some of it for BluRay releases.

ughhh...now you're tempting my wallet to go through on that order of those high school dxd blu rays

4 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

ughhh...now you're tempting my wallet to go through on that order of those high school dxd blu rays

7a349f277b0bc19e6498e9a36cd2211b.jpg.ba37a236086c4b809ac2a1b702e18ab0.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I have a large library of movie I purchased though iTunes that I stream with my Apple TV 4K. Does anyone know of a program that will do lossless conversion so I could use plex? Saw a few on google, but don't know if they are legit or not.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

The removal of the 1984 eBook from Kindle devices in 2009 was for me personally warning enough to stay physical or DRM free.  New Movie are reaching me on Blu-Ray or UHD Blu-Ray and music mostly on vinyl or CD but I have all duplicated on my servers. Movies without additional compression but stripping off all soundtracks with exception of the original langue and German. My vinyl records ending up as 48kHz/24bit FLAC and CDs just getting compresed.

Best way to go about it is to buy copies on digital services (as in pay for it) and then just download torrent copies for the favorite titles and such.

It's at worst grey area since you're still making a purchase that shouldn't be dependent on licensing agreements.

Otherwise the solution is to get Netflix syndrome and just depend on ever-changing content that's (imho poorly) catered for you. So all of the freedom a-la-carte services claims is just temporarily and subject to licensing availability.

Of course the overall only solution is to stop consuming media served and produced by companies that support these models. For many the notion would be considered unrealistic, but for the younger generations more heavily invested in streaming content and vlogs and such on youtube and twitch, not as much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

There's a reason I buy physical DVDs and CDs.

In the UK though, the DVD Police come if you try to use your DVDs to their fullest potential -_-.

I'm not even kidding. Technically in the UK you're not allowed to make a digital copy of a DVD even if it is for yourself but good luck getting someone to prosecute.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

That makes me young.  Though I don't feel it.

Great news then if you are in the age group 40-50, you are at risk of more severe breast cancer. Oddly enough the older you are the more risk of benign tumours instead of carcinomas. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Great news then if you are in the age group 40-50, you are at risk of more severe breast cancer. Oddly enough the older you are the more risk of benign tumours instead of carcinomas. 

I think the older you get the more at risk your are of everything, apart from the fact the body slowly stops regenerating after 30, law of average's say the longer you are alive the higher the chance of falling ill.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think the older you get the more at risk your are of everything, apart from the fact the body slowly stops regenerating after 30, law of average's say the longer you are alive the higher the chance of falling ill.

Well it does't quite work like that. Symptoms of ageing are not the same as regeneration of tissue. Sensence of cells occurs much later in life. 

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Of course the overall only solution is to stop consuming media served and produced by companies that support these models. For many the notion would be considered unrealistic, but for the younger generations more heavily invested in streaming content and vlogs and such on youtube and twitch, not as much.

I think it is the other way around, I think the younger generations, who seem to have entitlement issues, are the ones who can't go five minutes without knowing what happens next on what ever crap show it is they are watching.   That is after all one of  the main arguments I hear for pirating (distribution).  Most older people I know don't give a fuck, if they aren't happy with the content on the box or the content on netflix they turn it of and go play golf or go to the bar.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Well it does't quite work like that. Symptoms of ageing are not the same as regeneration of tissue. Sensence of cells occurs much later in life. 

Got some links or something, because apart form the age old stories of the body falling apart after 30 (even my doctor believes that), it is the most common time for people to observe they are aging (most of us start aching when we wake up or get up of the floor, some people notice they can't even sit on the floor for that long).

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Technically in the UK you're not allowed to make a digital copy of a DVD even if it is for yourself

Tell them you made the copy while on holiday in Belgium.  Having a copy and even the act of copying itself is perfectly legal over here, just as long as you actually own the original.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Got some links or something, because apart form the age old stories of the body falling apart after 30 (even my doctor believes that), it is the most common time for people to observe they are aging (most of us start aching when we wake up or get up of the floor, some people notice they can't even sit on the floor for that long).

You can look at Aubrey De Gray's Seven signs of ageing:

1) Extracellular Junk

2) Intracellular Junk

3) Sensescent cells

4) Extracellular crosslinks

5) Cell loss

6) Mitochondria DNA

7) 

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Always remember the older you get, the sooner you bloody well die (brownie points to the first person who tells what song that comes from without looking it up).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Cinavia is embedded in the audio. You're not going to get rid of it by reencoding files or stripping video from a blu-ray/ISO.

I've ripped known Cinavia discs and they still run on Plex just fine. Literally never had an issue. And if for some reason *you* do, just try some google-fu. It's not hard to find a solution.