PSA: A reminder on why you should maintain copies of movies

WMGroomAK
58 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Too volatile. Time to transfer media to Vinyl. 

Still to volatile, go straight to wax cylinders.

On another note: VHS did actually have a digital version that allowed 1080i and offered better video quality than DVD.

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

There's a reason I buy physical DVDs and CDs.

The primary reasons I still buy them is they often cost less than downloads (I buy a lot of movies from bargain bins) and, in the case of CDs, the quality is usually higher than downloads.

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Because you're old

You say that like it's a bad thing, you young whippersnapper!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just now, Jito463 said:

Like this?

5b99db77bef20_HDDlist.jpg.ce91b39e5448519a4322322a66ed2d6c.jpg

:D 

Perhaps.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Jito463 said:

Just call me a digital pack rat.

I'm the same way, I have bit by bit images of drives from systems I had from '99 onwards.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

You mean VHS, VCR is what you play a VHS tape on. :P 

Just woke up lol.. my bad.

Corrected it now

38 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

On another note: VHS did actually have a digital version that allowed 1080i and offered better video quality than DVD.

D-VHS is such a strange thing as a whole, because the history of it is incredibly broken as a result of a lack of information on the format.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

officespaceweirdo.jpg

Hey, it's easier lol. 

Also "VCR" (Video Cassette Recording), was another analog video format technically. It was developed then introduced in 1972 by Philips. The cassette used two co-axial reels on top of each other. VHS came along and took over, alongside Betamax.

8 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Hey, it's easier lol. 

Heh, no argument here.  I just had to use that image, though.  It seemed the perfect opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Also "VCR" (Video Cassette Recording), was another analog video format technically. It was developed then introduced in 1972 by Philips. The cassette used two co-axial reels on top of each other. VHS came along and took over, alongside Betamax.

I stand corrected.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

D-VHS is such a strange thing as a whole, because the history of it is incredibly broken as a result of a lack of information on the format.

Very much so, it is funny that fear of losing out to DVD caused them to push the boundaries of "VHS". To the point, that until Bluray came along there wasn't a consumer format that offered the same picture quality. It actually offered up to 50GBs of capacity. Oh and another kicker there are example recordings from 1993 in full 1080P on them.

7 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Very much so, it is funny that fear of losing out to DVD caused them to push the boundaries of "VHS". To the point, that until Bluray came along there wasn't a consumer format that offered the same picture quality. It actually offered up to 50GBs of capacity. Oh and another kicker there are example recordings from 1993 in full 1080P on them.

Yeah, there's a reason the D in D-VHS stands for Digital.
Although, I was mainly referring to what D-VHS first supported. I know it supported MPEG-2 as a format you could throw on it, but considering the very early D-VHS VCRs from Japan that were out there, I don't think MPEG-2 was initially supported on launch equipment.

Funny you mention that tape; from what I can gather, that video was recorded on a very specialized experimental tape format in which the cameras used to filmed the entirety of the tape were a couple hundred thousand dollars per camera. Yikes. Then JVC realized that they still had it in their archives and threw it onto a D-VHS tape as a D-Theater demonstration probably in late 2001 or early 2002. 

While D-Theater goes up to 1080i (and the demonstration tape does go up to that), the demonstration video itself isn't recorded at 1080i; apparently they're recorded at "1035i", and if that sounds familiar, well it is. The MUSE format used that resolution. But hey, at least some bloke from England uploaded the New York segments at 1080p60 and someone else uploaded the entire tape at the same quality.

57 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Don't forget VHSs

Unfortunately though only old VHS players aren't shit. I had one die with barely any use, and It was just left in standby for most of its 3 year life span.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, VegetableStu said:

I wish they used read-only USB sticks though ,_,

Something like that has existed to the best of my knowledge.

Now that I think about it, it was an SD Card-type thing.

32 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Unfortunately though only old VHS players aren't shit. I had one die with barely any use, and It was just left in standby for most of its 3 year life span.

The best VCRs are usually ones from before Funai took over, so anything before 1992 that has Hi-Fi, really.

And if you really want to splurge, there's always the prosumer S-VHS VCRs that can do time base correction and noise reduction.

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You say that like it's a bad thing, you young whippersnapper!

Dan is younger than me lol 

2 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Still too volatile, need to go back to pen and paper. Just write it all out. 

VHS's really died out because they were large and clunky like me after a big meal. DVD's are small and easy to use, and now the cloud has taken over with services like Netflix and Blockbuster. 

6 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

That's a nasty habit...

Those are rookie numbers

NAS.jpg.c25a50575a3ce6d5bf79268e540ed0b6.jpg

Almost all video are 1:1 DVD and Blu-Ray rips.  Those tend to take up space, but not as much as the hard copies take up in my closet. 

-----

On-topic: I had the same problem a while ago with some songs I purchased at 7digital.  After a song somehow got corrupted (probably bitrot, this was prior to building the NAS), I wanted to download a fresh copy only to find out that it wasn't in my library anymore.  Further investigation showed that several songs I purchased from them were gone. Good thing I kept all the receipts.

I contacted their helpdesk and it turned out to be a matter of expired licenses too.  Thankfully I found a fresh copy of that song "elsewhere". 

so you have to download and keep the movie, and of course keep some redundancy if don't want to find out the consequences of a bad hdd. 

On a side note doesn't this make download purchases immensely more expensive than physical copies? not to mention resale value

Oh the wonders of he cloud and online purchases. Project petabyte video will suddenly have more views. :D