[UPDATED] Stop Dave. I'm afraid. - Microsoft tests soft blocking Firefox and Chrome Installs

rcmaehl
On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎12 at 7:18 AM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well guess what Microsoft? No one is gonna use Edge anyways.

Oops I didn't get the memo.

image.png.d4ee207fa1088a1c0910fd958ac182df.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

NSA getting desperate these days.

Oops, I meant Microsoft.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

On 9/14/2018 at 1:26 PM, dalekphalm said:

What would you consider a "soft block", then?

It does block the installation at first - and you must override the block (by clicking the smaller and less prominent button) to continue installation.

I'd say "soft block" is a fairly decent description of that.

I never said I liked it , its obnoxious however its not preventing you from installing it and that what a block would do 

p.s in all my years I have never heard of a "soft block" I had to look that up and the only thing found is something that people on twitter .  its not a formal term

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

1 hour ago, ZcanKal said:

I can't wait for a Linux distro to blindsight them.

....what?

there are plenty of amazing distros already. the issue is developers dont like spending money to make their programs compatible with a very low market share OS. there isn't going to be a release of Linux that all of a sudden can have full access to every single program/game/drivers that windows has access to.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

In the process of creating my account, I was using Edge and I got a notification from google offering for me to install Chrome.

On 9/12/2018 at 7:55 AM, mynameisjuan said:

I see it being no worse than this. 

Hide contents

image.png.07deaac39f03158e3468c580a9660f98.png

They all do this kind of stuff. It's annoying but at least they don't force me into anything. I wish they didn't but they do. 

On 9/12/2018 at 9:14 AM, rcmaehl said:

UPDATE (courtesy @GoodBytes):
Source: OnMSFT
Microsoft has pulled the message from future builds, says it's "insider testing"

Source:

Verge

Ghacks

TL;DR:

Microsoft is testing adding additional prompts to try to prevent users from switching to alternative browsers.

Media:

edge firefox chrome blocks installation

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:
Darn it Microsoft. I will not use Edge. You can make Anime versions of your browsers, Give me a ton of additional prompts, but I just don't like it. With Linux getting some major support from Steam, I may eventually swap back over to Linux with all this non-sense.Bonus points if you're old enough to understand my title's pop culture reference.

I got your reference boo and I am pretty young.

On 13/09/2018 at 3:54 PM, AluminiumTech said:

And now the thought of Linux for my laptop seems more and more like a good idea.

Oh, I already did. The literally battering Win 10 gave me, even with the likes of the GWX (whatever) blockers... I switched. Laptop has Linux, next build is getting Linux, and Win 10 + 7 in VRM or dual boot.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:48 AM, LAwLz said:

This is the kind of shit they should be sued over. It should be completely unacceptable behavior from a legal and ethical standpoint. 

Fuck off Microsoft. 

Isnt this exactly the kinda shit they did get into anti-trust status back in the late 90s early 2000's over? I wish they would just make a stripped down windows. Not added crap, just windows, and a basic file manager.