[UPDATED] Stop Dave. I'm afraid. - Microsoft tests soft blocking Firefox and Chrome Installs

rcmaehl

Edge is an ok browser but still not good enough to replace a WebKit based browser such as Chrome (Windows & Mac) and Safari (Mac only as Windows Version is ... shit). 

This is why I've decided to switch to MacOS and stay there as Microsoft are just wrecking everything.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

So the big question, is what would Edge needs to have as feature or improvement that will make you switch to Edge?

Does it need to be faster than Chrome? If so, by how much?

What feature you want? (for me, it is right-click on an image, and pick "View image", even if the image is a URL link. I think, and Media panel), and the Privacy it offers

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

Firefox is the superior browser waifu.  This means war.

The Holy Browser Wars have begun, the main belligerents are Microsoft and Mozilla.

The armed conflict began when Microsoft start prompting users against installing Firefox and Chrome.

Mozilla's forces are supported by Google's.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

41 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

You mean this from Microsoft?

Image result for microsoft europe default browser

Wow, this news is surprising, considering Microsoft got a huge fine from the EU back in the day because of bundling IE with Windows (I guess Windows XP at the time). This was a huge monopoly lawsuit brought by the EU.

They were forced to put a browser options screen into Windows (in the EU at least), showing you alternatives to IE.

EDIT: The one you are showing right here, exactly.

Very surprising they would do this, this opens them right back up to antitrust lawsuits.

Also: I laughed at the title of this thread. Pretty good. I love 2001 a space odyssee xD

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So the big question, is what would Edge needs to have as feature or improvement that will make you switch to Edge?

What feature you want? (for me, it is right-click on an image, and pick "View image", even if the image is a URL link. I think, and Media panel)

Nothing could make me switch from Firefox, to ANY other browser.

Mozilla is the only company that is pro-consumer and pro-privacy and open internet. All the others are big corporate monopolies. That is why I choose Firefox. Also it is fast (now with Quantum engine).

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Mozilla is the only company that is pro-consumer and pro-privacy and open internet. All the others are big corporate monopolies. That is why I choose Firefox. Also it is fast (now with Quantum engine).

Firefox was ruined for me when they nuked 90% of their add-ons/extensions with an update. I can no longer modify the appearance of firefox in the way that I want.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

13 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Firefox was ruined for me when they nuked 90% of their add-ons/extensions with an update. I can no longer modify the appearance of firefox in the way that I want.

I saw many people talking about this. When I looked into it I discovered the Firefox had baked in all the features they were saying their disabled extensions were used for.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Just now, keskparane said:

I saw many people talking about this. When I looked into it I discovered the Firefox had baked in all the features they were saying their disabled extensions were used for.

Still can't automatically hide the URL bar within Firefox. :(

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

A    n   t    i    t    r    u    s    t

n

t

i

t

r

u

s

t

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I guarantee you this change wont make it to anywhere in Europe, MS have been in deep shit twice with European courts over trying to force IE onto people and they've had a hefty fine for it once as well.

It go so bad the EU forced them to add a new prompt to Vista & 7 for anyone in Europe telling them that while IE is installed by default there are other browsers available and letting them choose to install another one from a list of popular browsers.

Pushing this into Europe is plain stupid for MS, if they do they'll be back in court so quickly.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Microsoft will not be satisfied untill they become apple or worse, someone who controls 100% percent of the software you use, MS Edge, MS office no other office app allowed, and so on.

2 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

Edge no longer has the great battery it started with.

Outdated already this is before Firefox Quantum.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

49 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What feature you want? (for me, it is right-click on an image, and pick "View image", even if the image is a URL link. I think, and Media panel), and the Privacy it offers

Stability, I used to use edge a year or so ago but switched back to chrome due to edge having to reload web-pages a lot. NFL website and other sites that hosted videos that weren't major video platforms were the most common to crash.

The speed for me was in the range that was acceptable, and the UI is good and stays out of the way.

I would use FF but the UI just drives me nuts. It feels like it takes up more screen space and is distracting.

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:

Verge

Ghacks

TL;DR:

Microsoft is testing adding additional prompts to try to prevent users from switching to alternative browsers.

Media:

edge firefox chrome blocks installation

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:

Darn it Microsoft. I will not use Edge. You can make Anime versions of your browsers, Give me a ton of additional prompts, but I just don't like it. With Linux getting some major support from Steam, I may eventually swap back over to Linux with all this non-sense.

The annoying thing is that there is a legit reason to use Edge (other than downloading another browser); Edge is the only browser where you can watch Netflix above 720p. Doesn't mean they should do a Apple a force a change on us [cough] U2 album [cough]

2 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

The annoying thing is that there is a legit reason to use Edge (other than downloading another browser); Edge is the only browser where you can watch Netflix above 720p. Doesn't mean they should do a Apple a force a change on us [cough] U2 album [cough]

Only really an issue on PC. Chromecasts and mobile devices don't have this issue.

3 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Only really an issue on PC. Chromecasts and mobile devices don't have this issue.

That is true, but if you're on a mobile device (Aka something a mobile for example) you're not using Windows

34 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What feature you want? (for me, it is right-click on an image, and pick "View image", even if the image is a URL link. I think, and Media panel)

I would want three things from Edge:

1. Extension/Add-on support comparable to FF and Chrome (possibly by making it compatible with WebKit add-ons)

2. Cleaned up improved UI

3. Comparable features to the other big ones

As it is now, I don't think Edge is comparable feature wise.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well Google can just strike back by soft-blocking edge from Youtube/G suite. It's honestly a doomed effort, and Edge is not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

split from MS, and never work, collaborate or partner with MS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Microsoft and Edge can suck on a very very big one. I'll never use that shit! Firefox all the way!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

F you microsoft.

If you keep annoying people more and more, they will eventually have enough of it and will be prepared to accept bigger changes just to get rid of it.

Don't underestimate how far people want to go just to get rid of a small annoyance or something like that.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

I use Opera because it's the only browser I've used that has the rocker feature.  I haven't found any other browser except for Sleipner (which had other annoyances for me) and maybe Vivaldi (I should check that some day) which allows me to use my left/right mouse clicks to move forward and backward while internet surfing.