Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcmaehl

[UPDATED] Stop Dave. I'm afraid. - Microsoft tests soft blocking Firefox and Chrome Installs

On 2018-09-13 at 4:27 PM, Sniperfox47 said:

Nah because Edge isn't a market dominance they won't do anything, they'll just sit on their hands. Because shit like this is only anticompetitive if you're the bigger kid on the block /s >.>

Earlier lawsuits against MS prioritising their own browser was not due to IE was dominant but due to Windows was dominant and MS used that dominance to become dominant even with the browser.

Sent an mail to EU representative asking about this since he is a lawyer.  He is 100% sure this would be in breach of the agreement MS and EU reach 4 years ago and EU would definitely fine MS. 

On 9/12/2018 at 9:59 PM, Drak3 said:

Except that more often than not, Edge is the faster, safer browser.

Either way it could still be considered damaging to the competitor, and an unfair advantage to Microsoft. Both of which are potentially legally contentious. Also both of those statements are quite subjective.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:15 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its the forced updates, ads, self installing bloat, etc that should already have been a lawsuit. My fucking zip manager got changed to winzip from 7zip as it downloaded, installed, and set defaults to winzip the day I put a fresh copy of windows 10 on my desktop.

A fresh install will download and install over 1GB of bloatware/crap after doing nothing but sitting there after doing the initial setup. Its completely unacceptable. I'm using enterprise LTSB now for this very reason.

Oh I agree. I can't wait for someone to finally compromise their update service, hundreds of millions of devices to get infected, and M$ to go out of business from the resulting class action lawsuit combined with negative press.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:32 AM, GoodBytes said:

Update:

Microsoft said that will not push forward with the pop-up. ZDNet says that they are no longer getting the pop-up in their Insider build, and Microsoft says:

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-quietly-takes-controversial-edge-ads-offline-says-its-part-of-insider-testing

I wouldn't be surprised if their legal department got wind of this and shat out a massive brick over it.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

22 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I wouldn't be surprised if their legal department got wind of this and shat out a massive brick over it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only did it to gauge community response.   

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

On 12.9.2018 at 4:14 PM, rcmaehl said:

Microsoft is testing adding additional prompts to try to prevent users from switching to alternative browsers.

Isn't that a violation of the EU Ruling that was against Microsoft for integrating Browsers in their Operating systems?

That's why we got the "N" Versions of Windows...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎12 at 7:18 AM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well guess what Microsoft? No one is gonna use Edge anyways.

Oops I didn't get the memo.

image.png.d4ee207fa1088a1c0910fd958ac182df.png

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Windows 10 Home  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (8.0) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

NSA getting desperate these days.

Oops, I meant Microsoft.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

On 9/14/2018 at 1:26 PM, dalekphalm said:

What would you consider a "soft block", then?

It does block the installation at first - and you must override the block (by clicking the smaller and less prominent button) to continue installation.

I'd say "soft block" is a fairly decent description of that.

I never said I liked it , its obnoxious however its not preventing you from installing it and that what a block would do 

p.s in all my years I have never heard of a "soft block" I had to look that up and the only thing found is something that people on twitter .  its not a formal term

Desktop: Intel Core i5 4670k | MSI z87-GD65I Rosewell Hive 650w I Fractel Define R4 |16 gb ddr3 crucial sports ballistax| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti | 128GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Laptop:Dell latitude 5590 

1 hour ago, ZcanKal said:

I can't wait for a Linux distro to blindsight them.

....what?

there are plenty of amazing distros already. the issue is developers dont like spending money to make their programs compatible with a very low market share OS. there isn't going to be a release of Linux that all of a sudden can have full access to every single program/game/drivers that windows has access to.

On 9/12/2018 at 7:55 AM, mynameisjuan said:

I see it being no worse than this. 

Hide contents

image.png.07deaac39f03158e3468c580a9660f98.png

They all do this kind of stuff. It's annoying but at least they don't force me into anything. I wish they didn't but they do. 

On 9/12/2018 at 9:14 AM, rcmaehl said:

UPDATE (courtesy @GoodBytes):
Source: OnMSFT
Microsoft has pulled the message from future builds, says it's "insider testing"

Source:

Verge

Ghacks

TL;DR:

Microsoft is testing adding additional prompts to try to prevent users from switching to alternative browsers.

Media:

edge firefox chrome blocks installation

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:
Darn it Microsoft. I will not use Edge. You can make Anime versions of your browsers, Give me a ton of additional prompts, but I just don't like it. With Linux getting some major support from Steam, I may eventually swap back over to Linux with all this non-sense.Bonus points if you're old enough to understand my title's pop culture reference.

I got your reference boo and I am pretty young.

On 13/09/2018 at 3:54 PM, AluminiumTech said:

And now the thought of Linux for my laptop seems more and more like a good idea.

Oh, I already did. The literally battering Win 10 gave me, even with the likes of the GWX (whatever) blockers... I switched. Laptop has Linux, next build is getting Linux, and Win 10 + 7 in VRM or dual boot.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:48 AM, LAwLz said:

This is the kind of shit they should be sued over. It should be completely unacceptable behavior from a legal and ethical standpoint. 

Fuck off Microsoft. 

Isnt this exactly the kinda shit they did get into anti-trust status back in the late 90s early 2000's over? I wish they would just make a stripped down windows. Not added crap, just windows, and a basic file manager.