[UPDATED] Stop Dave. I'm afraid. - Microsoft tests soft blocking Firefox and Chrome Installs

rcmaehl

UPDATE (courtesy @GoodBytes):
Source: OnMSFT
Microsoft has pulled the message from future builds, says it's "insider testing"

Source:

Verge

Ghacks

TL;DR:

Microsoft is testing adding additional prompts to try to prevent users from switching to alternative browsers.

Media:

edge firefox chrome blocks installation

Quotes/Excerpts:

Microsoft is getting ready to warn Windows 10 users not to install Chrome or Firefox. Its Windows 10 October 2018 Update... a new change appears when you try to install a rival web browser. The prompts can be turned off. Some similar prompts already appear and attempt to push Chrome or Firefox users to use Edge. Microsoft has previously pushed notifications to Chrome users to tempt them to switch to Edge, used OneDrive ads in File Explorer, and preloads a variety of crapware apps in Windows 10.  Microsoft tried a similar push to force Windows 10 Mail users to use Edge for all email links, but the company reversed the change after a backlash.

When you try to install the Firefox or Chrome web browser on a recent Windows 10 version 1809 Insider build, you may notice that the installation gets interrupted by the operating system. Options provided are to open Microsoft Edge or install the other browser anyway. There is also an option to disable the warning type in the future but that leads to the Apps listing of the Settings application and no option to do anything about that. Companies like Google or Microsoft have used their market position in the past to push their own products. The intercepting of installers on Windows is a new low, however. A user who initiates the installation of a browser does so on purpose. There is also a chance that Microsoft would push its own products when users attempt to install other products: think a third-party media player, screenshot tool, image editor, or text editor.

My Thoughts:
Darn it Microsoft. I will not use Edge. You can make Anime versions of your browsers, Give me a ton of additional prompts, but I just don't like it. With Linux getting some major support from Steam, I may eventually swap back over to Linux with all this non-sense.Bonus points if you're old enough to understand my title's pop culture reference.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Well guess what Microsoft? No one is gonna use Edge anyways.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I can always install via ninite unless they start blocking that as well ....

Magical Pineapples

I would actually use Edge, I don't mind it. But I will stick with Chrome as long as possible.

Edge might be faster than IE, but that doesnt make it good.

Related image

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I actually used Edge at the office for about a month. It's not bad, but I just don't care enough to switch over.

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well guess what Microsoft? No one is gonna use Edge anyways.

Edge is actually pretty good. Most people who value battery life on laptops tend to use it the most.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Edge is actually pretty good. Most people who value battery life on laptops tend to use it the most.

Did Linus disapprove or approve that? I can't quite remember

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Just now, KendoSapion said:

Did Linus disapprove or approve that? I can't quite remember

Its been a while but look through Surface or ultrabook forums and its pretty apparent 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its been a while but look through Surface or ultrabook forums and its pretty apparent 

Edge no longer has the great battery it started with.

I prefer chrome if I'm using a pc but if I'm using a laptop that generally has less ram I like to use firefox. Edge just annoys me because if I press F1 on my laptop it will open it.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

3 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

Edge no longer has the great battery it started with.

That video was a year ago and Chrome has become a bloated mess and Firefox has clean up a bit.  

It really is night and day on ultrabooks. 

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Mainstream browsers pfft

HAHAHAH i use torrrrr xD

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

That video was a year ago and Chrome has become a bloated mess and Firefox has clean up a bit.  

It really is night and day on ultrabooks. 

Well I have an ultrabook, and I did test Edge while I was waiting on a repair and I can say it was not a night and day, and Chrome hasn't changed all that much

5 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

Well I have an ultrabook, and I did test Edge while I was waiting on a repair and I can say it was not a night and day, and Chrome hasn't changed all that much

Your test mean nothing. You need to use a browser for a week each to see the battery life difference. Both on my Matebook X Pro and Surface GO is like 30% difference in battery

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Your test mean nothing. You need to use a browser for a week each to see the battery life difference. Both on my Matebook X Pro and Surface GO is like 30% difference in battery

I used it for the three weeks on weekdays

I actually don't mind Edge on the desktop, I would switch from Chrome but some of my extensions aren't available. In fact, on my mobile I prefer to use Edge because the controls are at the bottom of the screen so I can browse easily with one hand. I still don't understand why all the controls for Chrome are in the top right, and with a larger phone it means you have to use two hands or risk dropping the phone.

That was one of the things I loved about Windows Phone, all the things you need to get to were at the bottom of the screen!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue