EU Take censorship of the internet to the next level

Razzy_85
10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

People are already pissed in most major states of the EU, with shit like that they won't calm down.

Shit like this is how you start a revolution!

So far there doesn't seem to be much public opposition outside of techy circles, if anything polling suggests a majority in favor. I suspect and hope that will change once people realize what's going on.

On 9/12/2018 at 2:17 PM, Razzy_85 said:

go to Brussels and start banging unelected idiots heads together.

All right, can we stop with the "unelected" bullshit? Just because you didn't directly vote for every single position in the government doesn't mean you have no agency. Representative democracies require the people to delegate some choices to the parties they DO directly vote for, otherwise every election would take years. It's also funny how people only give a shit about who directly elected whom when the latter tries to pass some law they don't like.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:43 PM, yian88 said:

IF you can do anything at all even with the slightest effect, please help to kill and disband the EU, im no anarchist but we will manage to live off without the fucking union just fine like all the other billions of people in the world.

Yeah, just like the UK which has its economy in shambles and its government in complete disarray ever since they said they'd leave. Or like the billions of people living in freaking dictatorial regimes with an average salary below the poverty line. Outside of the EU and north America, the countries with the same standards of life as ours can be counted on the fingers of a hand. If you want to live in your own walled garden and ignore the rest of the world go right ahead, you won't be missed by those who'd like to live outside the cave - just don't try to drag us down with you.

On 9/12/2018 at 5:43 PM, hobobobo said:

Piracy is a wonderful thing, without it we would not have 50 shades of grey or twilight. Or TTS, which is a godsent.

As much as I disagree with this law, it's not about piracy at all. It's about corporate hubs like google and facebook profiting from other people's work. Piracy has always been illegal, this doesn't make any difference in that respect. The problem this seeks to address is that, through services like google news, alphabet ends up making more money than the outlet that wrote the article - people will just read the google news page and never click on the link to the source. Similarly, people post other people's content on facebook and make more money off of it than the original creator.

To be clear, I don't think the worst parts of this are enforceable anyway.

On 9/12/2018 at 4:47 PM, ARikozuM said:

While I honestly think it's acceptable for a creator to be profitable in his work, it should have severely limited scope. Carbon copies of art should be covered, but only for a limited period of time. Afterwards, it becomes public domain. A work of art shouldn't profitable over 100 years and only the original work, and its derivatives by the original author, should have an appreciable return. 

You're right, but that's a problem with copyright law, not with these articles. What's on the table here is whether or not companies like facebook should be held responsible for every piece of illegal content that is uploaded to their servers - and on the surface I don't even hate the concept. The problem is that it could easily be abused. Either way, for copyrighted content it wouldn't really be any different from what we already have on youtube - automated scans that try to determine whether a given piece of content is infringing copyright or not; and as you can see, we still have memes on youtube...

On 9/12/2018 at 4:44 PM, Sakkura said:

Technically true, but in practice they're very likely to pass it now. They go through a round of negotiations with the Commission and EU Council, but since those two were pushing for these changes, don't expect the final bill to be substantially different from what was approved today.

And the final vote is also very likely to succeed.

It's not final per se, but it has passed by far the biggest hurdle.

It wouldn't be the first time the parliament does a full turnaround on something like this, contrary to popular belief they aren't completely blind to protests. We'll have to wait and see.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

As much as I disagree with this law, it's not about piracy at all. It's about corporate hubs like google and facebook profiting from other people's work. Piracy has always been illegal, this doesn't make any difference in that respect. The problem this seeks to address is that, through services like google news, alphabet ends up making more money than the outlet that wrote the article - people will just read the google news page and never click on the link to the source. Similarly, people post other people's content on facebook and make more money off of it than the original creator.

Yeah. Something like Facebook bootlegged video is a huge issue, and something that does need better regulation. This is just a poor approach to fixing things like that.

17 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

So far there doesn't seem to be much public opposition outside of techy circles, if anything polling suggests a majority in favor. I suspect and hope that will change once people realize what's going on.

It feels like people at this moment are just either misinformed about the entire situation or just taking it out of context, which also included myself at the beginning until I read more about it. The EU's intention may be 'good', but it just won't work. I think there are other solutions out there to actually combat these issues they are addressing. They just need the proper experts for this matter and I get the feeling they didn't do that in the first place. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

4 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Then why did the Chemnitz and Köthen Protest happen? ;)

People are very unhappy with the Gouvernment as it is right now. If they increase the censorship that will only increase the fuel to the fire that is slowly burning in Germany.

You in Denmark seen to be on the right track on many issues, IIRC you allow DNA Testings, most of Europe does not.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Then why did the Chemnitz and Köthen Protest happen? ;)

People are very unhappy with the Gouvernment as it is right now. If they increase the censorship that will only increase the fuel to the fire that is slowly burning in Germany.

You in Denmark seen to be on the right track on many issues, IIRC you allow DNA Testings, most of Europe does not.

Because of far-right extremism. That has nothing to do with the copyright directive.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Because of far-right extremism. That has nothing to do with the copyright directive.

You should consume less Mainstream Media and look at alternative sources...

Or get out of your house....

That has nothing to do with the "far right", though they might (mis)use it, that isn't the issue. 

You should look up Daniel Hillig...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

You should consume less Mainstream Media and look at alternative sources...

Or get out of your house....

That has nothing to do with the "far right", though they might (mis)use it, that isn't the issue. 

You should look up Daniel Hillig...

Attacking the media is a standard tactic of far-right extremists. The Nazis called the independent German media Lügenpresse, a term which is now being used again in the US (along with the more widespread "fake news").

If something isn't to your liking, you call it "far right" and also "extremists"...

As for Chemnitz:
Heard about the Media Appartment Invasion incident?
Where they got access to an appartment by a Minor (don't know how old the Son was) and were thrown out by the father and filed a report with the Police for that.

Couldn't that be a better example of how out of touch the Media are with Reality or the Law?? 
We have also some privacy of the home laws...

So as soon as the father asked them to leave (wich they probably didn't), they had to leave...

Sad that you wouldn't even look up the name I provided. Or Mia Valentin...

Well, don't seem I'd be able to change your mind and you only throw out accusations, attacks and aren't someone you can talk about some things. 

That is really sad that you are throwing around the "Far Right" label so easily, without even looking up the issues...

Nazis

You should read up on that and how they came to be.

In short: 

People afraid of the future, violence...

The Hyper-Inflation was one of the causes, the Violence from all Sides (because the Partys had their private Army and the commies tried for a communist revolution in Germany as well - and failed), the Versaille shit...

Mostly because of the Violence and that people had to fight to get food on the table due to the Inflation caused by the General Strike shortly after the great war...

If you know about Weimar Germany enough, you know how to prevent it. You don't seem to be informed enough about the Problems and the Issues and the rise of the Bohemian...

Anyway:

this is too political and we should stop discussiong it. And calling each others names. That has never helped anyone! Suppressing the other side always leads to more problems than before!

And at some point you get hundreds or thousands of people dead like it was the case in 1953 in East Germany and other places as well...

okay.. seems a lot have indulged themselves into some propaganda writing, labeling and out-right name calling.

so for all this off-topicness having nothing to do with EU censorship of the internet this thread is closed.

<-LOCKED->