EU Take censorship of the internet to the next level

Razzy_85

Hold your horses!

This was a vote that the directive draft will be even alloved to continue forward. Next it goes to the legal affairs commitee to be prepped and finalized for the final voting in which the whole directive will be voted through article by article and there's cahces for articles to pass without changes, pass with proposed changes or be totally dropped out. After that voting the directive will be final.

3 hours ago, yian88 said:

HOW are you going to leave the EU? your profile says you're in Germany? or youre not native German? we really need to disband the EU its getting ridiculous how the important issues arent addressed at all and they come up with these tyrannical shitty laws.

I am a native born German. So many things bug me in Germany and the EU that I do not want to support it with my tax money. This is why will try my hardest to find a job in Switzerland or Norway after my degree even if this means living in a camper.

I can very well imagine leaving Europe for good once I am able to get a working visa for countries outside of Europe. I have to work on my English skills in the next years ;) 

On 9/12/2018 at 4:22 PM, Teddy07 said:

I am a native born German. So many things bug me in Germany and the EU that I do not want to support it with my tax money. This is why will try my hardest to find a job in Switzerland or Norway after my degree even if this means living in a camper.

I can very well imagine leaving Europe for good once I am able to get a working visa for countries outside of Europe. I have to work on my English skills in the next years ;) 

Norway is a good country, but just saying, most EU laws/regulations(not 100% I think) is also in Norway.

If you go out of Europe, where would you go?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

57 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Norway is a good country, but just saying, most EU laws/regulations(not 100% I think) is also in Norway.

Indeed you are right but it is the first step.

If you go out of Europe, where would you go?

It is way too far in the future for a good answer but Canada and the USA are definitely on the list.

7 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Indeed you are right but it is the first step.

It is way too far in the future for a good answer but Canada and the USA are definitely on the list.

You really think US is better than Europe? Lol.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

42 minutes ago, Mihle said:

You really think US is better than Europe? Lol.

I don´t think better. I would rather say different landscape, culture, huge size, owning firearms. It is not just about being better. It is rather about experiencing different places in life. 

To be fair to the EU, lots of FaceBookers and YouTubers make money off other people's work, like SoFloAntonio and Fortafy, and they generate millions of views on FaceBook. Unfortunately for the EU, they are American - but Its nice that these scum can be held to account.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:49 AM, suicidalfranco said:

Letting a governmental entity control the flow of news: Check.

The UK and the EU are probably one of the lesser places for government control of news. May would surely look a lot better than she does now. 

The US is a much better example of fake news, just look on CNN, It's pretty rediculous. 

I think some people in this topic really need to slow their pace and chill a bit.

This law postulate was not bad at all: one of the aim is to ensure that news papers from different EU countries get some money from articles they posted on their respective websites, which then might be then linked and distributed across the entire internet by different users/readers.

Let's face it, how many people actually read the article once they've seen the head line ? If you don't go on the website then there is no profit.

Paywall do not really works since one subscriber can copy paste the entire article so everybody can read it.

Now, the final result ? As always, it's like the entire laws have been pre-written by lobbies. But it's not like it is something that only happens in the EU (end of Net Neutrality in the US, rings a bell ?).

What can we do as citizens ? The same as US citizens could have done to fight internet providers companies: nothing.

The complete cynicism and paradox is that we (at least in France) were told that this law is supposed to fight GAFA's dominance (Google, Amazon, Facebook ...), but guess what ? People are massively using Google news, and newspapers make a shit load of profit to be visible on it.

So imo, the only way to frighten the lobbies in EU is that Google completely shuts down its News in the EU.

I have no proofs, but my guess is that the revenues coming from the ads on newspapers websites will drastically decrease, and they will have to step back.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

You know you fucked up when the creator of the internet doesn't like what you're doing to it.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

https://qz.com/1389385/article-11-and-article-13-axel-voss-is-surprised-by-eu-copyright-law/

The EU.

Please tell me again that old people always know what they're doing when it comes to think they haven't a clue about 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

59 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

https://qz.com/1389385/article-11-and-article-13-axel-voss-is-surprised-by-eu-copyright-law/

The EU.

Please tell me again that old people always know what they're doing when it comes to think they haven't a clue about 

what's being old got to do with it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

what's being old got to do with it?

old people are the ones passing this retarded laws.

And in this case seems like they don't even bother reading what they standing for

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

old people are the ones passing this retarded laws.

And in this case seems like they don't even bother reading what they standing for

And you think being old is an intrinsic part of that?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

And you think being old is an intrinsic part of that?

yep

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

yep

Got some evidence to back this up,  or is it just ironic that your accusing them of not having a clue whilst showing your own ignorance on the relevance of age?

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Got some evidence to back this up,  or is it just ironic that your accusing them of not having a clue whilst showing your own ignorance on the relevance of age?

i think every recent law introduced focused on the internet and how to make it shittier is all the evidence needed

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

i think every recent law introduced focused on the internet and how to make it shittier is all the evidence needed

so no.

Just now, mr moose said:

so no.

so yes

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

so yes

I see plenty of young people being entitled, arrogant and ignorant. If we use your logic then I can conclude that being young makes you arrogant, entitled and ignorant.

9_9

Just now, mr moose said:

I see plenty of young people being entitled, arrogant and ignorant. If we use your logic then I can conclude that being young makes you arrogant, entitled and ignorant.

9_9

might be, at least they're not in power ruining lives 

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

might be, at least they're not in power ruining lives 

no, they're just on the internet spreading as much misinformation as they can creating the age of ignorance.

On 9/12/2018 at 2:17 PM, Razzy_85 said:

This would create an incredible burden for small platforms

What they voted for is an amended version, which excludes small businesses.

https://juliareda.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Copyright_Sept12_Voss.pdf

The definition of online content sharing service providers under this Directive does not cover microenterprises and small sized enterprises

The EU's definition of small business is less than 50 employees and less than €10 million in either turnover or balance sheet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_and_medium-sized_enterprises#European_Union

So, if Linus Media Group has less than 50 employees and makes less than €10 million per year, than it won't need a filter for the Linus Tech Tips forum in order to be accessed from the EU.

It also excludes "service providers that act in a non-commercial purpose capacity such as online encyclopaedia"  (Wikipedia), "Providers of cloud services for individual use which do not provide direct access to the public" (Google Drive, Dropbox) and "open source software developing platforms" (Github).

I get it to some extent why they would put these two laws in place, but then again it won't work and is just plainly stupid. They said that some stuff like parody will be an exception. In reality however, it's impossible to scan every single content properly and thorough with AI or for that matter just people. Just look at YouTube's failure over the last two years. At this moment, AI are not able to make a difference between parody and an actual protected image. I'm a bit more worried about Article 11 rather than 13. Even if it makes it through the voting process around January, I doubt it'll live for very long due to the amount of backlash it will get. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

On 12.9.2018 at 2:17 PM, Razzy_85 said:

I Just can't even fathom the depth of abuse this is going to be open to.

People are already pissed in most major states of the EU, with shit like that they won't calm down.

Shit like this is how you start a revolution!

The thing is that the gouverning partys have their pants full because the "right wing populists" how they call them are getting more and more powerful because of the mess that the EU made with immigration.

That and the corruption in Media is the reason for this. The last iteration of something similar was lobbied by Axel Springer in Germany. And it failed miserabely....

Because they thought they could force Google/whoever to pay for the news snippets and made a law that tried to force google to pay for that.

And the solution was simple: Get rid of those companys from the search results. 
Ironically their traffic dumped, so they shoot themselves in the foot.

And now they do it again with a vengenace - and will fail again, this time even harder as they piss off the normal people.

Again, its probably by the Media (Paper) Companys....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"