EU Take censorship of the internet to the next level

Razzy_85

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17849868/eu-internet-copyright-reform-article-11-13-approved

I Just can't even fathom the depth of abuse this is going to be open to. I know this probably goes against the rules of the forum but I just can't even begin to form an opinion that is eloquent enough for this forum without wanting to go to Brussels and start banging unelected idiots heads together.

A couple snipits from the article;

The most important parts of this are Articles 11 and 13. Article 11 is intended to give publishers and papers a way to make money when companies like Google link to their stories, allowing them to demand paid licenses. Article 13 requires certain platforms like YouTube and Facebook stop users sharing unlicensed copyrighted material.

Critics of the Copyright Directive say these provisions are disastrous. In the case of Article 11, they note that attempts to “tax” platforms like Google News when they share articles have repeatedly failed, and that the system would be ripe to abuse by copyright trolls.

Article 13, they say, is even worse. The legislation requires that platforms work with rightsholders to stop users uploading copyrighted content. The only way to do so would be to scan all data being uploaded to sites like YouTube and Facebook. This would create an incredible burden for small platforms, and could be used as a mechanism for widespread censorship. This is why figures like Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales and World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee came out so strongly against the copyright directive.

The final vote for it is in Januray but going by the usual EU b******* I wouldn't get your hopes up for them to come to any form of commmon sense.

Another article from The Register about it.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/12/youtube_article13_special_report/

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: MSI GS70 2QE

F

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

this was a vote for what should be brought forth to the negotiation table for a new bill to pass, this isnt law. not even close. im no expert but thats what i have gathered so far.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Correct it's the bill but going by past EU bills and the vote count then it's unlikely to be stopped.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

to be fair, no where else in the world can  you post others work and get paid for it with no repercussions.    My personal opinion is that the creator(s) should get some of the ad revenue, or revenue from data sales.  thats the only reason google post it in the first place.

Just now, Razzy_85 said:

Correct it's the bill but going by past EU bills and the vote count then it's unlikely to be stopped.

was stopped because of articles 11 and 13 last time, doubt enough people changed their minds.

1 minute ago, Tedny said:

that how the law will look, but it not final version of it 

article 11 and 13 were both brought forward for a new plan of the build which will then be put up for vote, much can still change and personally i doubt it will pass if it still has the original versions of those articles in it. there are quite a few bad things, but also a lot of good stuff. this wasent voted through as law and that vote is sometime next year when a new bill has been negotiated. this really isnt as bad as some make it out to be, but if it passes like this it would probably be a disaster yes

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

was stopped because of articles 11 and 13 last time, doubt enough people changed their minds.

article 11 and 13 were both brought forward for a new plan of the build which will then be put up for vote, much can still change and personally i doubt it will pass if it still has the original versions of those articles in it. there are quite a few bad things, but also a lot of good stuff. this wasent voted through as law and that vote is sometime next year when a new bill has been negotiated. this really isnt as bad as some make it out to be, but if it passes like this it would probably be a disaster yes

Yes this is the revised version as the previous was knocked back, now it's sailed through with little objection (240+ votes is little objection by EU standards)

6 minutes ago, Razzy_85 said:

Yes this is the revised version as the previous was knocked back, now it's sailed through with little objection (240+ votes is little objection by EU standards)

not as i understand it, this was just a round of what should be brought forth to be accepted into the bill that will then be voted on. there is still finishing work and another vote before its passed as law

Builds:

Spoiler

Sometimes I wish I was in the EU because of consumer protection laws and then I remember about stuff like this

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

51 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

to be fair, no where else in the world can  you post others work and get paid for it with no repercussions.    My personal opinion is that the creator(s) should get some of the ad revenue, or revenue from data sales.  thats the only reason google post it in the first place.

Actually it's easier than you think you just need to avoid immediate recognition of the original. 

The internet it's just a way to put a magnifying glass on a fundamental problem copyright legislation never considered: that it is utterly impractical to enforce to the point that it becomes functionally impossible.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Razzy_85 said:

Being Scottish you don't have to care about it, you only have to care what the English rulers will do about it. :)

For those in the EU, the final text isn't approved yet, so nothing changed really

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this was a vote for what should be brought forth to the negotiation table for a new bill to pass, this isnt law. not even close. im no expert but thats what i have gathered so far.

Technically true, but in practice they're very likely to pass it now. They go through a round of negotiations with the Commission and EU Council, but since those two were pushing for these changes, don't expect the final bill to be substantially different from what was approved today.

And the final vote is also very likely to succeed.

11 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It's not final per se, but it has passed by far the biggest hurdle.

Today’s vote is an important next step but it’s not the end of the lawmaking process. The Copyright Directive and the agreed amendments will now enter the stage of trilogue negotiations with the EU Council and Commission.

The result of these private discussions will determine the final text the European Parliament will have to vote on early next year. In most cases, the result of the trilogue negotiations is confirmed, but when that’s not the case the entire process of changes, negotiations, and a vote, starts over.

While I honestly think it's acceptable for a creator to be profitable in his work, it should have severely limited scope. Carbon copies of art should be covered, but only for a limited period of time. Afterwards, it becomes public domain. A work of art shouldn't profitable over 100 years and only the original work, and its derivatives by the original author, should have an appreciable return. 

I would hope that someone comes forward to flood the Internet with Mickey Mouse icons across thousands of websites and millions of users. Enforcement of this is ridiculous and gives a creator, or someone pretending, too much control of his work. 

I'd also like to see a provision added for news articles as those aren't created except for the opinion portion. Articles should not be protected for use when discussing in a video or paper. Citation is as far as respect should go here. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually it's easier than you think you just need to avoid immediate recognition of the original. 

The internet it's just a way to put a magnifying glass on a fundamental problem copyright legislation never considered: that it is utterly impractical to enforce to the point that it becomes functionally impossible.

just because its easy doesnt make it right.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

It's not. The final voting is in January. Highly unlikely they will vote differently.

Yay EU, you just had to pull another one, didn't you? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Please no, i dont wanna access the web using my fucking passport, plz no south korea. I give eu 2 years till they start hustling the idea. So far on track

Piracy is a wonderful thing, without it we would not have 50 shades of grey or twilight. Or TTS, which is a godsent.

Maybe its time to riot and burn bill sponsors property?

IF you can do anything at all even with the slightest effect, please help to kill and disband the EU, im no anarchist but we will manage to live off without the fucking union just fine like all the other billions of people in the world.

The EU has long gone past its attributes and original reason we created the union and now has become a tyranical regime led by corporations and elitists, people have no control over it anymore, its a genius union if you think about it, no one elects or can protest against these garbage laws they are just forced down our throats.

Letting a governmental entity control the flow of news: Check.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

We need to fucking bomb the EU and wipe them off the face of the earth, they’ve already had huge ass banners placed on every website about cookies. Do they think they own the internet or something? Absolute trolls.

11 minutes ago, yian88 said:

IF you can do anything at all even with the slightest effect, please help to kill and disband the EU, im no anarchist but we will manage to live off without the fucking union just fine like all the other billions of people in the world.

The EU has long gone past its attributes and original reason we created the union and now has become a tyranical regime led by corporations and elitists, people have no control over it anymore, its a genius union if you think about it, no one elects or can protest against these garbage laws they are just forced down our throats.

These kinds of posts are missing one major point: It's not like these initiatives would not be taking place if the EU did not exist. The EU is simply doing what its member states want, overall.

I can´t wait to leave the EU. It is getting worse because these corrupt politicians in Brussels have stupid ideas every day.

15 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I can´t wait to leave the EU. It is getting worse because these corrupt politicians in Brussels have stupid ideas every day.

HOW are you going to leave the EU? your profile says you're in Germany? or youre not native German? we really need to disband the EU its getting ridiculous how the important issues arent addressed at all and they come up with these tyrannical shitty laws.

On 9/12/2018 at 7:47 AM, JCBiggs said:

to be fair, no where else in the world can  you post others work and get paid for it with no repercussions.

It's no different in the EU. In fact, this norm would indeed set the EU apart from "everywhere else" -at least for the time being.

My personal opinion is that the creator(s) should get some of the ad revenue, or revenue from data sales.  thats the only reason google post it in the first place.

The discussion is not about the existence of copyright, though. It's about particular mechanisms to enforce it, which include denying the existence of "open platforms" that serve just as a medium for third parties (anyone hosting is directly responsible for anything uploaded by third parties, no such thing as "user content"; pre-emptive scanning of any uploads for copyright infringement, rather than copyright strikes after the fact, opening the door to "copyright block" all sorts of things).

Basically, your posts are not your posts, are LMG's posts, and LMG should scan everything you post and upload for copyright infringement before making it public.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:40 AM, schwellmo92 said:

We need to fucking bomb the EU and wipe them off the face of the earth, they’ve already had huge ass banners placed on every website about cookies. Do they think they own the internet or something? Absolute trolls.

Of course, bomb them for the things they did right, life forcing notification of the abuse most websites subject us to, and make most of the garbage "opt-in" instead of "opt-out", that surely will ruin the internet... 9_9

On 9/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, Sakkura said:

These kinds of posts are missing one major point: It's not like these initiatives would not be taking place if the EU did not exist. The EU is simply doing what its member states want, overall.

Exactly. This isn't anything else than what the different lobbies (SGAE, GEMA, etc) push for in each country, taken to the EU level.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, yian88 said:

-snip-

I find it ironic that you call someone "dumb" and pretend that national laws are not what lobbies want (and that people can change them etc.) in the same sentence.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, yian88 said:

HOW are you going to leave the EU? your profile says you're in Germany? 

It's called "airport".

Trains and boats work too.

3 hours ago, JCBiggs said:

just because its easy doesnt make it right.

Well that's why I call it so impractical it's basically unenforceable.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Meh.

The one really bad thing I can see coming of this is me not being able to post anything on websites because I don't want to run a third party upload filter that tracks me. But the web is already horrible about that. Case in point, this piece of shit website. Okay, that's not entirely fair, it does still function with the 3rd party resources blocked, which is better than a lot of other websites, but still, it makes me put in effort to not be tracked by amazon, google, facebook, PIA ( oh, the irony!) and discord and makes me unwilling to visit it on my phone, which doesn't support my privacy salvaging addon stack.

Screenshot from 2018-09-12 21-15-22.png