Efficiency matter?

EnterClassroom

hi, i'm asking again

is it worth to buy platinum PSU? does that platinum PSU's will affect to my electrical cost?

thankyou

I don't think it will affect your power bill too much. Just look at this 80 Plus rating chart.

EDIT:

Depending on the amount of power the PC draws it may affect the power bill. However the difference on the power bill between 80 Plus Bronze and 80 Gold is not that large to really notice.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

I don't think it will affect your power bill too much. Just look at this 80 Plus rating chart.

EDIT:

Depending on the amount of power the PC draws it may affect the power bill. However the difference on the power bill between 80 Plus Bronze and 80 Gold is not that large to really notice.

okay then, thanks for your help bro ;) 

Just now, EnterClassroom said:

okay then, thanks for your help bro ;) 

You're welcome :) 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Depends on what PC you have, how much you will use it, what you will use the PC for, how long you will use the PC, the electricity cost and the price difference

:)

Depends on how expensive electricity is in your country. If its cheap, it will be very difficult to justify the extra expense of the power supply.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

Depends on what PC you have, how much you will use it, what you will use the PC for, how long you will use the PC, the electricity cost and the price difference

Oke thanks for your help bro

21 hours ago, EnterClassroom said:

hi, i'm asking again

is it worth to buy platinum PSU? does that platinum PSU's will affect to my electrical cost?

thankyou

Naa, Gold is fine and the advantage of Platinum is around 2% - or less - to the gold one.

Besides that, that's usually the only difference between a Gold and Platinum version.

If we would talk about Bronze -> Gold, things are different. But not because of the Efficiency.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Naa, Gold is fine and the advantage of Platinum is around 2% - or less - to the gold one.

Besides that, that's usually the only difference between a Gold and Platinum version.

If we would talk about Bronze -> Gold, things are different. But not because of the Efficiency.

okay thanks for your help bro ;) 

Yeah I have a pricey system with top end components so I wanted a Power supply which not only was efficient (Those components eat watts at load) but also had fairly clean power with low ripple, that's why I spent so much. Plus I plan to run this computer for 5+ years with occasional upgrades if needed. So reliability is important. Higher grade PSUs tend to use more reliable components.

For a mid-range PC Gold should be fine, just do a little research to make sure the PSU doesn't have bad ripple or the efficiency curve isn't horrendous at idle. HardOCP tend to do good PSU reviews.

3 hours ago, Pyrii said:

Higher grade PSUs tend to use more reliable components.

that might be but as an Enduser its impossible to determine...

3 hours ago, Pyrii said:

For a mid-range PC Gold should be fine, just do a little research to make sure the PSU doesn't have bad ripple or the efficiency curve isn't horrendous at idle.

true, though the difference between Gold Units isn't that high. 

But in General I'd say that the Efficiency Level isn't important and should be secondary. Once you reach gold, everything is pretty close electrically, with a couple of exceptions of course...

Even cheapish units like the Xilence Performance X are surprisingly good.

3 hours ago, Pyrii said:

HardOCP tend to do good PSU reviews.

Naa, not rally as they don't test overload and noise.

Both are the things where you still, to this day, have the biggest differences!!

Even today there are Gold+ Units that are at around 1250rpm or more at med-high loads (400-550W)...

And then there is their stingray osciloscope that is far from the requirement for ATX compliant ripple/noise measurements: 20MHz.

The Stingray only has a couple of kHz...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Even cheapish units like the Xilence Performance X are surprisingly good.

Naa, not rally as they don't test overload and noise.

Both are the things where you still, to this day, have the biggest differences!!

Even today there are Gold+ Units that are at around 1250rpm or more at med-high loads (400-550W)...

And then there is their stingray osciloscope that is far from the requirement for ATX compliant ripple/noise measurements: 20MHz.

The Stingray only has a couple of kHz...

Yeah, but a poor power source can wear out your components faster or not provide the full power they need, the pascal GPUs with their internal overclocking will be limited if the power source is poor. But that's rarely a worry unless you go too cheap.

GamersNexus plans to do power supply reviews soon so that should be interesting.