EA Under Criminal Investigation by Belgian Government

Slottr

Belgium's Gaming Commission has opened up a criminal investigation via the Brussels Public Prosecutor's Office, and EA might be faced with going to court.

(EA CEO Andrew) Wilson asserted that EA's games were "developed and implemented ethically and lawfully around the world"

Everyone saw this coming from a mile away, but what truly baffles me is that EA is going to try and pass loot boxes as anything but gambling because its rewards don't hold "real world value".

I understand why they are fighting the Belgian Government, but can not see their denial to blatant gambling coming across as a win in any court with these laws.

Source:

https://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/122051-belgian-govt-opens-criminal-investigation-ea/

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

All this loot box/gambling/pay to win/unfinished game/dlc crap is why I stopped playing video games.

I'm sorry is there supposed to be some fun here somewhere? am i suppose to be having fun while i sit at my slot machine computer pumping nickles into it while smoking a cigarette , becuase that what it looks and feels like

8 hours ago, Slottr said:

I understand why they are fighting the Belgian Government, but can not see their denial to blatant gambling coming across as a win in any court with these laws.

Because companies are only going to defend their bottom line.   The truth, as they argue it,  is not what they personally believe the court will accept, but what they want to fight for.

Cigarette companies argued for along time that smoking doesn't cause cancer, not because they believe it but because not fighting the claim meant it costing them money.

The reality is with these companies, that the answer to how to get them to stop doing something that is making them so much money, is not to punish them, but to make it easier to make money doing something else. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

--

Should have worded that better, sorry haha. But yeah I know that they know it is gambling. Obviously they're not going to simply cut out one of their largest profit routes quickly and silently.

Cigarette company comparison is fantastic, though instead of putting a cancer patient on the box they'll have to put homeless people.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

23 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Everyone saw this coming from a mile away, but what truly baffles me is that EA is going to try and pass loot boxes as anything but gambling because its rewards don't hold "real world value".

Source:

https://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/122051-belgian-govt-opens-criminal-investigation-ea/

Welp peoples, it seems that we are going back to only micro-transactions in games.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Because companies are only going to defend their bottom line.   The truth, as they argue it,  is not what they personally believe the court will accept, but what they want to fight for.

Cigarette companies argued for along time that smoking doesn't cause cancer, not because they believe it but because not fighting the claim meant it costing them money.

The reality is with these companies that the answer to how to get them to stop doing something that is making them so much money is not to punish them, but to make it easier to make money doing something else. 

True enough, but i still find it odd that EA opts to keep bringing up the issue over Belgium. Valve and Activision Blizzard seemed happy enough to comply and remove the issue from popular memory as soon as possible. By continuing to fight over the relatively tiny market of Belgium, Activision is effectively reminding the media on a weekly basis that loot boxes, card packs etc is still a hot topic.

Then again, if EA gave in to Belgium. The EU could easily just copy the regulations word for word and cite EA's compliance in Belgium should EA try to fight the significantly larger EU market.

It's a mess. But in the long run, EA fighting the verdict is good thing for the consumers. On one side we got Valve and Activision complying, and on the other we got EA fighting. The industry is not on the same side on the issue, which is good for the consumers.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Just now, MMKing said:

True enough, but i still find it odd that EA opts to keep bringing up the issue over Belgium. Valve and Activision Blizzard seemed happy enough to comply and remove the issue from popular memory as soon as possible. By continuing to fight over the relatively tiny market of Belgium, Activision is effectively reminding the media on a weekly basis that loot boxes, card packs etc is still a hot topic.

Then again, if EA gave in to Belgium. The EU could easily just copy the regulations word for word and cite EA's compliance in Belgium should EA try to fight the significantly larger EU market.

It's a mess. But in the long run, EA fighting the verdict is good thing for the consumers. On one side we got Valve and Activision complying, and on the other we got EA fighting. The industry is not on the same side on the issue, which is good for the consumers.

Yep, I guess that like every legal battle, lawyers are going to have slightly different advice and compile that with fears of widespread adoption of said laws if they don't argue it now in every instance they may be left with no legs to stand on anywhere else.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

52 minutes ago, duncannah said:

What stops EA from just not publishing games to Belgium?

That could trickle down quite fast to not publishing in Europe as a whole for instance?

1 hour ago, emosun said:

All this loot box/gambling/pay to win/unfinished game/dlc crap is why I stopped playing video games.

I'm sorry is there supposed to be some fun here somewhere? am i suppose to be having fun while i sit at my slot machine computer pumping nickles into it while smoking a cigarette , becuase that what it looks and feels like

Thankfully there still exist game studios that aren't just trying to squeeze every penny out of their players.

Well, hardly surprising. 

Belgium said "get rid of lootboxes or we will criminally prosecute", EA said "bring it", so it's being done. EA is prepared for a knife fight here, I'm curious what the end result will be.

2 hours ago, duncannah said:

Nothing but if they wanted to go that route then they might as well have complied with Belgian demand. I'm guessing they have great confidence in their rhetorics and their lawyers.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

They probably expect the income from these lootboxes to be higher than the fines they get.

Yeah, considering it's mainly FIFA and that game sells, like, 70-80% in Europe, the stakes are high for them.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

4 hours ago, duncannah said:

They would probably have to stop publishing it in the entire EU then.

The article linked on the sub reddit I read this on mentioned that Belgium plans to amend their gambling laws to specifically cover loot boxes if EA is successful in arguing their case under the current laws. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I don't see any desirable outcome for EA coming out of this case. Belgium authorities don't agree with loot boxes within games, particularly EA and so they should win. If they don't then the laws will probably just be changed to encompass more.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

9 hours ago, laminutederire said:

That could trickle down quite fast to not publishing in Europe as a whole for instance?

That's unrealistic. They would publish EU version of games without lootboxes before not publishing at all.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

in the real world the Belgium government is much more of a criminal organisation than EA ever could be

11 hours ago, emosun said:

Me too. I simply lost interest due to this shit.

32 minutes ago, Vode said:

That's unrealistic. They would publish EU version of games without lootboxes before not publishing at all.

I'm not sure ea is smart enough to do that. They want to push lootboxes so hard they'd prefer to force their way in the market with lootboxes..

Not only has this been a long time coming, but good gadzooks does EA need their face punched in some way. This company's been getting away with murder for years and it's taken somebody in the Low Countries questioning a blatant gambling racket to finally do battle with them.

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

11 hours ago, duncannah said:

I think that's why Bandai Namco stopped selling some of their games in Beligum.