macOS Mojave

As a prolific Mac user, using both a MacBook and an iMac, I tend to get slightly excited about new software. Especially Mojave, for example, if working late at night the bright white theme of the macOS that has become a precedent is now no longer permanently burning a new hole into your retina. The Dark Mode not only makes it look sleeker, in my opinion, but also allowing for more productivity and less eye strain, something I have always believed is a positive. Additionally, while a gimmick, the dynamic desktop that allows the background to adapt to the native time of the machine, personally I like the little touches that new software brings.

macOS Mojave Dynamic Desktop

As well as this rather neat feature, I am looking forward to the stack organisation tool.  Allowing you to label items on your desktop with specific metadata and then automatically cleaning up the look of your desktop by organising into, you guessed it, "stacks" allowing the user to scrub over the specific stack to find an item collating to the stacked data/items.

macOS Mojave Stack

Being able to open an editable preview of a file with the spacebar in Mojave certainly tickles my pickle. Being able to markup quickly or trim swiftly in order to send the certain file to members of a team or indeed through private messaging/email really is a quicker solution compared to before.

macOS Mojave Quick Toggle

A new edition to the most appealing part of owning Apple products, connectivity. Being able to quickly take a picture and instantly insert it into your Pages document for me just enhances the experience further.

macOS Mojave Continuity Camera

So to be honest I just wanted to share what is impressing me about recent updates to the macOS and wondered if others liked the features I have mentioned and indeed if people have any more suggestions that you'd like to see in the latest rendition of the macOS.

Jack

Yep, it's pretty dank. I assume it looks a lot better on high DPI screens but it's pretty good on my 2012 13" MacBook pro and runs smoothly, IIRC I'm on Beta 9 (the latest). Dark mode is pretty nice, though I haven't used most of the other features because I work on a work iMac and I don't want to push the beta on that since I use it day to day. Overall Mojave is a lot like iOS 12 (running the beta for that on my iPhone X), just little fixes and improvements to High Sierra and iOS 11, but they make the OS just that little bit nicer and even more of a pleasure to use. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yep, it's pretty dank. I assume it looks a lot better on high DPI screens but it's pretty good on my 2012 13" MacBook pro and runs smoothly, IIRC I'm on Beta 9 (the latest). Dark mode is pretty nice, though I haven't used most of the other features because I work on a work iMac and I don't want to push the beta on that since I use it day to day. Overall Mojave is a lot like iOS 12 (running the beta for that on my iPhone X), just little fixes and improvements to High Sierra and iOS 11, but they make the OS just that little bit nicer and even more of a pleasure to use. 

Yeh, I completely agree, it's the little tweaks to the visuals and accessibility that make it great. I was gonna download the Beta on both my iMac and MacBook but I don't want to risk anything. Last time I tried beta it was iOS 11 and god did it annihilate the iPhone 7.

1 minute ago, Jack S Holt said:

Yeh, I completely agree, it's the little tweaks to the visuals and accessibility that make it great. I was gonna download the Beta on both my iMac and MacBook but I don't want to risk anything. Last time I tried beta it was iOS 11 and god did it annihilate the iPhone 7.

Well I've had 0 issues on my MacBook Pro, and only a couple freezes and bugs on my iPhone X. For example, settings app doesn't load if it was open already, but you just swipe it away to close it and reopen it, because the X is so darn fast it takes you about 1 second longer than usual. And if it freezes a restart is only 30 seconds max. Overall stable 98% of the time though. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Well I've had 0 issues on my MacBook Pro, and only a couple freezes and bugs on my iPhone X. For example, settings app doesn't load if it was open already, but you just swipe it away to close it and reopen it, because the X is so darn fast it takes you about 1 second longer than usual. And if it freezes a restart is only 30 seconds max. Overall stable 98% of the time though. 

You recommend me installing the Beta for all my devices then?

Just now, Jack S Holt said:

You recommend me installing the Beta for all my devices then?

I'd install it on whichever device is the least essential and if you feel it's stable enough then go from there. Make sure to back up the computer if you have any data you need on there, just in case something goes sour. But I haven't had any major problems on mine. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

I'd install it on whichever device is the least essential and if you feel it's stable enough then go from there. Make sure to back up the computer if you have any data you need on there, just in case something goes sour. But I haven't had any major problems on mine. 

Nice one I mean I have all my storage automatically backed up in the cloud so I'm set for that really just don't want any hardware going wrong because of the OS that was my primary concern.

Nice one I mean I have all my storage automatically backed up in the cloud so I'm set for that really just don't want any hardware going wrong because of the OS that was my primary concern.

Eh, shouldn't mess up your hardware at all unless your MacBook is one of the touchbar Pros, IIRC those have been pretty buggy so IDK how they'd fare on a beta. But then with Time Machine you can always just rollback pretty easily, especially since even if you have to do a full OS install the SSDs on newer Macs are so darn fast that it'll only take an hour max, usually less than that. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Eh, shouldn't mess up your hardware at all unless your MacBook is one of the touchbar Pros, IIRC those have been pretty buggy so IDK how they'd fare on a beta. But then with Time Machine you can always just rollback pretty easily, especially since even if you have to do a full OS install the SSDs on newer Macs are so darn fast that it'll only take an hour max, usually less than that. 

I have the 12 inch MacBook and it usually installs and boots quite quickly so I can give it a quick go.

9 minutes ago, Jack S Holt said:

I have the 12 inch MacBook and it usually installs and boots quite quickly so I can give it a quick go.

Dewit. And noice, I got to mess with one of those MacBooks at the Apple Store and they pack quite a punch. Even managed to render 4K filters and transitions and such in FCP X pretty easily, ofc not near the speed of a MacBook Pro or iMac, but for a notebook literally the size of a notebook, it's amazing. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Dewit. And noice, I got to mess with one of those MacBooks at the Apple Store and they pack quite a punch. Even managed to render 4K filters and transitions and such in FCP X pretty easily, ofc not near the speed of a MacBook Pro or iMac, but for a notebook literally the size of a notebook, it's amazing. 

I know I like all the MacBooks bar the Air, but I didn't need a laptop with such processing power I just needed a sleek laptop/notebook to do word processing. However even when doing light coding it copes well and doesn't get hot. And to be able to keep a steady temperature without a fan is truly amazing, one mighty heatsink.

2 minutes ago, Jack S Holt said:

I know I like all the MacBooks bar the Air, but I didn't need a laptop with such processing power I just needed a sleek laptop/notebook to do word processing. However even when doing light coding it copes well and doesn't get hot. And to be able to keep a steady temperature without a fan is truly amazing, one mighty heatsink.

Facts. Not to mention the entire computer itself (the mobo/CPU/RAM/etc combo) is only 2x the size of an iPhone 6 Plus logic board. 

Main PC 

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Facts. Not to mention the entire computer itself (the mobo/CPU/RAM/etc combo) is only 2x the size of an iPhone 6 Plus logic board. 

Right well installed Mojave on my MacBook and my visually it is stunning, now just to let iOS 12 install now, glad I installed it now!

JUST LOOK AT IT!!

5b984b68e63c8_Screenshot2018-09-12at00_09_33.thumb.png.5f6f95cf31766e5f2773bb377fea8313.png

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i wonder if it will buggy as high Sierra was at launch. 

Running the Beta now, and it's running pretty well so far, new News app which is a lot nicer.

Running the Beta now, and it's running pretty well so far, new News app which is a lot nicer.

hope it works well on older mac, my late 2013 maxed out 15 inches should get Mojave, can't wait to see what they do. hopefully, they fix the bugs before pushing out the final version. 

14 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

hope it works well on older mac, my late 2013 maxed out 15 inches should get Mojave, can't wait to see what they do. hopefully, they fix the bugs before pushing out the final version. 

Well little did I know that they have dropped support for my iMac so I'm having to find a way around that. Hopefully, I can.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:05 AM, Jack S Holt said:

Well little did I know that they have dropped support for my iMac so I'm having to find a way around that. Hopefully, I can.

kinda stupid move considering how much the iMacs costs, even without updates your imac should do fine. 

11 hours ago, duncannah said:

The borders in dark mode look ugly, so does the accent colours ):

Yeh bit disappointing to be honest

10 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

kinda stupid move considering how much the iMacs costs, even without updates your imac should do fine. 

Yeh I know it costs a bomb and then they remove it from the latest software, even though it would do fine.

This is the 1st time I am gonna hold off for a few months when it comes to the latest OS. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

• 2 weeks later...