What is with consoles and linus

Maikiki

What does Linus dislike consoles (not saying that I like consoles but just wondering why he dislikes them) 

?

6 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

He Has Seen The Light!

But is it RGB?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Wait, since when did Linus dislike consoles? They've done several retro gaming videos, modded PS4's etc, it's clear he was/is a console gamer to some extent...has he ever explicitly said he dislikes them?

preferring PC =/= disliking console

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Does he dislike them?

Last time i checked he had a nintendo console of sorts for his kids. 

He got lost in an arcade when he was young, all those loud noises and flashing lights, he just couldn't handle it.

don't question why he doesn't dislike PCs for the same reason.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Preferring something is not disliking the other

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I don't dislike consoles. I dislike the disguising of PCs as consoles when in a perfect wold we could just have every game for every platform. 

I dislike the locked-down nature of a console compared to a PC. What if I don't WANT to use a PS4 controller? What if I want to spend more and get better graphical fidelity? I'd much rather have a Nintendo Switch++ and run BotW at 60FPS... but I can't because console. 

So yeah, there are things I dislike about them but I also see the purpose of different products in the marketplace and I'm not blinded by my hatred or them or anything. 

I bought a switch not long ago and I and my kids do more console gaming together than PC gaming at the moment. 

56 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I dislike the locked-down nature of a console compared to a PC. What if I don't WANT to use a PS4 controller? What if I want to spend more and get better graphical fidelity? I'd much rather have a Nintendo Switch++ and run BotW at 60FPS... but I can't because console.

Not to mention if you want to play games from 5, 10, 15, 20+ years ago, on PC, you just download and play, while on console you have to have a playstation 1, 2, 3, *and* 4. That can be annoying to deal with, plus you don't get improved graphics from older games like you do on PC.

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I play BotW at 60FPS all the time.

Either your Switch is amazing or your eyes suck.

It chugs during intense sequences (when it counts the most) all the time :P

4 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I don't run it on a Switch.

HA! Linus baited by CEMU user

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Definitely playing it on Wii u right?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

So @geo3....I'm sure you have a physical copy of the WiiU version as well....riiiight? 9_9

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Not to mention if you want to play games from 5, 10, 15, 20+ years ago, on PC, you just download and play, while on console you have to have a playstation 1, 2, 3, *and* 4. That can be annoying to deal with, plus you don't get improved graphics from older games like you do on PC.

that's not entirely how it works. if you can tell me how i can get Need for Speed Underground running on Windows 10 that would be great. 

She/Her

10 hours ago, sud said:

What does Linus dislike consoles (not saying that I like consoles but just wondering why he dislikes them) 

?

Preference among most pc enthusiasts are away from consoles

52 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Well you will have to tell me what it is like on the Switch as I am old fashioned, and still use a Wii U... Well, at least I get to play the Metroid Prime Trilogy with a Wii remote.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

It has been said many many times...

The main point and reason why people seem to dislike consoles or prefer PC is probably due to the closed nature or "ecosystem" of consoles.

PC has always offered more options in terms of hardware configuration, keyboard and mouse/controllers/input devices, multiple monitor support, higher resultions like 4K and beyond, mods, extensive graphical settings, selection of games available including a larger amount of exclusives and indie games only playable on PC, as well as accessories and extras that you can plug into a PC.

People can also choose how much they want to spend on a PC depening on the level of performance and/or features they want.  It's about having the options and freedom to do what you want.

Not to say that you can't do some of those things mentioned on console too, you can! but it's genearlly more restrictive as a platform giving you less options when compared to PC. There are however some benefits that come with a 'closed' platform such as ease of use, less setup and configuration required, potential for better support etc.

PC can also run many other applications besides games, movies and entertainment which is what consoles primarly focus on.

Somtimes though... it's not down to specs and features, sometimes it's simply to do with the games you want to play and the platform your friends are on.

Just now, simtransporter said:

The main point and reason why people seem to dislike consoles or prefer PC is probably due to the closed nature or "ecosystem" of consoles.

It's not

console games are expensive compared to PC games, controllers need batteries replaced weekly because companies decided to ditch wired controllers, you need to put the dvd in every time you want to play so you have long load times even if some game files are installed in a hard drive, oh you want online? pay extra because paying for the game once wasn't enough

you need internet to 'activate' certain games or play them even if those are single player.

only thing in common with a PC is the amount of useless pieces of shit you'll find in every online game, imagine having to pay to get matched with twisted fucks, eewww

and fighthing over graphics is stupid, PC fanboys will always come up with the graphics argument but ignore everything else

some exclusives are great though, god of war, killzone, uncharted, rdr, last of us, that's a pro at least for PS

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

PC isn't as "free" or "open" as it's said to be. Try gaming on a Linux distro, you can do it sure but your library is limited. PC is more open than console, but PC has a long way to go. Moves like only enthusiast priced cards allowing the use of "holy grail of gaming" features aren't helping the cause. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

12 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Wait, since when did Linus dislike consoles? They've done several retro gaming videos, modded PS4's etc, it's clear he was/is a console gamer to some extent...has he ever explicitly said he dislikes them?

preferring PC =/= disliking console

Yea, I wouldn't say dislike. Preferring would be a better word...