Buying a second hand 1080 ti or wait for 2080

a Rock

I found on a site a 1080ti available for €550,- I would be able to see if it works at his place before buying.
There still is a waranty on the gpu.

The obvious answer is to wait for the benchmarks for the 2080 but I would still like to know what you people think.

I personally think that there is no reason to switch to the RTX 20 series if your playing at 1080p and 1440p. Atleast certainly not for the money.

A 1080 ti still performs REALLY REALLY well in all games at 1440p.

I would go for the 1080 ti simply because the performance jump is minimal (unless your looking at DLSS), or wait for the performance benchmarks.

8 minutes ago, a Rock said:

I found on a site a 1080ti available for €550,- I would be able to see if it works at his place before buying.
There still is a waranty on the gpu.

The obvious answer is to wait for the benchmarks for the 2080 but I would still like to know what you people think.

If you have the funds for 2080 and don't mind paying 2x the price for almost the same performance, go for it.

U will also get Ray Tracing and DLSS features.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

1 minute ago, mikedrewsmy said:

If you have the funds for 2080 and don't mind paying 2x the price for almost the same performance, go for it.

But it's a couple of years until we see proper support. By then, we will have new GPU's. The 1080Ti is still a beast GPU.

hi.

Just now, AskTJ said:

But it's a couple of years until we see proper support. By then, we will have new GPU's. The 1080Ti is still a beast GPU.

Exactly. There is not really any reason to get a 20 series (at least not really as far as we know rn)

-André

13 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

12 minutes ago, andreboy70 said:

Exactly. There is not really any reason to get a 20 series (at least not really as far as we know rn)

-André

DLSS doesn't take years though.

- Mikey

15 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

Buying a 1080ti new is around 750 euro from what I have seen and the 2080 will be 700 (not the founders edition)

I'd say buy those 1080 ti provided they're in good condition and at a reasonable price since the 20 series will surely have inevitable issues due to its new technology's initial adjustments.

Reconciling Physics and Poetry

3 minutes ago, a Rock said:

Buying a 1080ti new is around 750 euro from what I have seen and the 2080 will be 700 (not the founders edition)

but the founders edition is going for 850 euros. And most AIB cards are going beyond that price.

2 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

but the founders edition is going for 850 euros. And most AIB cards are going beyond that price.

My idea is mostly buy a second hand if it's in good condition or wait for the rtx 2080 whenthey are available at 700,-

Just now, a Rock said:

My idea is mostly buy a second hand if it's in good condition or wait for the rtx 2080 whenthey are available at 700,-

Doubt u can get them at 700 in the next 5-6 months (unless it's a used one).

Isn't that there listed price?

Is it normal for new gpus to go over there listed price?

17 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

Doubt u can get them at 700 in the next 5-6 months (unless it's a used one).

Just now, a Rock said:

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=427&sort=price&page=1

Starts from 885 euros for the gigabyte 2080 windforce.

11 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=427&sort=price&page=1

Starts from 885 euros for the gigabyte 2080 windforce.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080: pricing and release date

Nvidia has only announced three GeForce RTX models so far. We don't know when or even if lower tier cards will exist. Most likely, but they may not arrive until 2019. Here are the launch dates and prices so far:

• GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition: $1,199, September 20
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Reference: $999, September 20?
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition: $799, September 20
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Reference: $699, September 20?
  • GeForce RTX 2070 Founders Edition: $599, 'October'
  • GeForce RTX 2070 Reference: $499, 'October'

https://www.pcgamer.com/rtx-2080-everything-you-need-to-know/

says here that it will start at 700 don't know if it actually will be that price

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Wanna save money or have the best? There is no middle ground...

What are your needs?

I just got a 1440p 144-165hz screen so I would say that I would like the best within reason.

Not planning to pay 1200 for a gpu.

2nd hand 1080 TI for sure. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, dieegoperi said:

I feel like, for most players, 1070/1070ti/1080ti are the ones to go with. Are you going to play 4K 120+ fps? Go for next gen, are you worry you'll spend over 1000/2000 euros for games like CSGO, Overwatch, Witcher, Cyberpunk 2077, etc that you can play really well even with a 1060 6GB

I got the 1070 and it's too good for the games I play, or the settings I choose; but I wanted it for the future-proof, obsolescence, and so, so I won't buy any newer GPU on the next 5 years at least

It's up to you

I've got 1080 TI for same reasons, from 2nd hand to price similiar as OP got. Imo there is no reason to go for RTX right now, maybe in 2-3 years or so.

I7-4790K | 1080 TI Aorus | 4x4gb ddr3 1833 | Shadow Rock 2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 600W | 1TB HDD + 256 GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97-HD3 | Meshify C

On 9/11/2018 at 4:30 AM, mikedrewsmy said:

So you can basically get a 1080 Ti for $650 now pretty much everywhere and a RTX 2080 is $800.  So the question you have to ask yourself is having the newest tech and ray tracing worth it to you?  There are other pluses like DLSS for RTX but from the leaks the RTX 2080 is basically a 1080 Ti when it comes to traditional game benchmarks.  

Most people will say no and I understand that, but benchmarks will only be able to confirm this

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

Doing 1080ti myself. Gonna get a pair for the price of a 2080. That way I’ll have money left over to get a cpu that isn’t so weak. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz